Companies moving/expanding to KC area

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Companies moving/expanding to KC area

Post by WoodDraw »

Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:24 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:57 pm glad the merger is finished. Article mentioned the potential loss of 112 white collar jobs at KC Southern, despite the US HQ staying here in KC. Curious to what those are, as I'm sure some through normal attrition of retirement, some "golden parachutes" for duplicate/overlapping C suite types, VP's that KCS had that are no longer needed. Will be curious to see what stays & goes and then of course what they hire in once the dust settles. Could be nice for the new company to rely on the expertise of KCS employees in the US/Mexico markets to help ensure growth at a standard pace instead of perhaps scaling back and then moving forward. Will be interesting and I hope it is a benefit not a NET loss for KC and one of it's elder statesmen of the business world.
I was under the impression that the Minneapolis HQ of Canadian Pacific would relocate to KC. Is that still the plan?

Was it ever the plan?
I don't think that was ever announced, just that KC would be the US headquarters with Minneapolis remaining a significant location.

They did put our name on the business though.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:24 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:57 pm glad the merger is finished. Article mentioned the potential loss of 112 white collar jobs at KC Southern, despite the US HQ staying here in KC. Curious to what those are, as I'm sure some through normal attrition of retirement, some "golden parachutes" for duplicate/overlapping C suite types, VP's that KCS had that are no longer needed. Will be curious to see what stays & goes and then of course what they hire in once the dust settles. Could be nice for the new company to rely on the expertise of KCS employees in the US/Mexico markets to help ensure growth at a standard pace instead of perhaps scaling back and then moving forward. Will be interesting and I hope it is a benefit not a NET loss for KC and one of it's elder statesmen of the business world.
I was under the impression that the Minneapolis HQ of Canadian Pacific would relocate to KC. Is that still the plan?

Was it ever the plan?
I don't know if this is still the plan, but this was the plan Nov 2021
Company officials say the exit will unfold in phases, repeatedly emphasizing throughout the more than 4,000-page filing an ongoing commitment to, and presence in, the Twin Cities.

Over the course of three years, 135 headquarters jobs, and 72 local dispatcher and clerical jobs in its Soo Line division, will shift from Minneapolis to Kansas City.

CP also proposes shifting 37 positions from downtown Minneapolis to other locations in the Twin Cities.

"Minneapolis-St. Paul will remain a key base of operations for CP," Andy Cummings, a spokesman for Canadian Pacific, said in a statement. "Job relocations would take place over three years during the integration period that would follow approval by the U.S. Surface Transportation Board."
https://www.startribune.com/canadian-pa ... 600113355/

Edit 3/17: Mistakenly put this in the 12th and Broadway thread

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 74974.html

Press release confirming the combining of companies will happen April 14th and outlining the future leadership team.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 0001e187ee

Not necessarily surprising, but disappointing. T-Mobile has initiated another round of job cuts despite initially claiming that its merger with Sprint would create over 11,000 new jobs by 2024. The company’s overall employee base dropped by about 4,000 people between 2021 and 2022, bringing the total headcount to about 71,000, according to filings from the Securities and Exchange Commission. T-Mobile declined to specify how many were laid off, their geographic locations or when the layoffs take effect. Before the merger, T-Mobile employed about 53,000 people in 2019, while Sprint had about 28,500 as of March 31, 2019, according to SEC filings.

With the number of people that moved to Kansas City because of Sprint or Cerner, it's difficult seeing those companies fade. Likely will be painful for the area unless some new large companies relocate or emerge.

Also makes me wonder how things would have looked if the initial merger plans had gone through (when Sprint was more in the driver's seat)
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... tions.html

EducationDynamics recently switched their HQ from Hoboken, New Jersey, to Lenexa. Currently, they have 435 employees, including 120 in the Kansas City area. Unclear if more are planning to relocate to KC.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

To Lenexa? Come on. That should be downtown.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:57 pmArticle mentioned the potential loss of 112 white collar jobs at KC Southern, despite the US HQ staying here in KC. Curious to what those are, as I'm sure some through normal attrition of retirement, some "golden parachutes" for duplicate/overlapping C suite types, VP's that KCS had that are no longer needed.
FWIW, when Dow Chemical bought the locally-grown Marion Laboratories (becoming Marion-Merrell-Dow) in 1989 and consolidated at the Ward Parkway HQ, something like 300 KC families were made millionaires and at least 20 of those were made 8-figure millionaires by my count. The purchase price was high, and Marion had a lot of vested stock among its employee base. This was when a million bucks was a significant sum in KC.

There was a noticeable boom in expensive real estate in the Mission Hills/ Country Club area and also the South Leawood area, plus a waitlist developed at the Country Clubs. While the rest of the country had a slow start to the 1990s, it was observable how rapidly the rich part of KC was growing.

This was further enhanced by (now known as) Sanofi in 1995 when they subsumed the purchase with Hoechst-Marion-Roussel, although that behemoth indicated the end of KC as the international HQ. But most of that pile of Euro-cash also landed in KC, just it was more backpay money, not the future growth money.

Shortly after that Sprint started its boomlet, and there was a lot of money sloshing around JoCo in the 1990s.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:27 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:57 pmArticle mentioned the potential loss of 112 white collar jobs at KC Southern, despite the US HQ staying here in KC. Curious to what those are, as I'm sure some through normal attrition of retirement, some "golden parachutes" for duplicate/overlapping C suite types, VP's that KCS had that are no longer needed.
FWIW, when Dow Chemical bought the locally-grown Marion Laboratories (becoming Marion-Merrell-Dow) in 1989 and consolidated at the Ward Parkway HQ, something like 300 KC families were made millionaires and at least 20 of those were made 8-figure millionaires by my count. The purchase price was high, and Marion had a lot of vested stock among its employee base. This was when a million bucks was a significant sum in KC.

There was a noticeable boom in expensive real estate in the Mission Hills/ Country Club area and also the South Leawood area, plus a waitlist developed at the Country Clubs. While the rest of the country had a slow start to the 1990s, it was observable how rapidly the rich part of KC was growing.

This was further enhanced by (now known as) Sanofi in 1995 when they subsumed the purchase with Hoechst-Marion-Roussel, although that behemoth indicated the end of KC as the international HQ. But most of that pile of Euro-cash also landed in KC, just it was more backpay money, not the future growth money.

Shortly after that Sprint started its boomlet, and there was a lot of money sloshing around JoCo in the 1990s.
This is why we HAVE to improve the Kansas City public school system, and make it more diverse (white). In your example, these new millionaires built at least close to where they currently lived due mostly to that being their community and their kids were in local schools there. If this same example happened again, this would be less likely because the families would have their kids in Rockhurst or STA and have less connection to the urban core. Amazing public schools lock families into an area, even those who move up an organization to C-suite.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:55 pm
herrfrank wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:27 am

This is why we HAVE to improve the Kansas City public school system, and make it more diverse (white). In your example, these new millionaires built at least close to where they currently lived due mostly to that being their community and their kids were in local schools there. If this same example happened again, this would be less likely because the families would have their kids in Rockhurst or STA and have less connection to the urban core. Amazing public schools lock families into an area, even those who move up an organization to C-suite.
100%

A better public school system also encourages more residential development. It’s a cycle
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:01 am To Lenexa? Come on. That should be downtown.
I think the existing employee base was out south already. Makes sense for them to locate to where their employees already are.

I’m just happy to have another HQ in the area.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

In the 1970s and 1980s the existing white-collar employee base was already in-town, that is JC Nichols World, aka Country Club/ Mission Hills/ Brookside/ Prairie Village/ north Leawood area. Out South did not exist yet. I know this sounds crazy, but 119th street was developed in the early 1980s. It was a dirt road in my own memory.

The One Thousand new KC millionaires from the 1980s and 1990s cash-outs (Marion, the LBO of Burns & McDonnell, SPRINT) -- they built where they could, which was south Leawood. JoCo was all-in with this, having platted out BV North high school (remember it did not even open until 1986 -- everyone had to schlep out to the old BVHS at 159th street) and Hallbrook on the old Hall family farm.

It was a once-in-a-century opportunity and it happened in Leawood. Had KCMO been smart in the 1970s and 1980s and done some heavy brown/- greenfield planning, maybe this could have happened in Red Bridge or even the Northland. At least one developer tried -- Charles Garney with Briarcliff. I still believe that the old guard (Mayor Wheeler and earlier) put the airport way north exactly for this reason. They thought they could turn Platte County into what south Leawood became. But that ball got dropped in the 1970s.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

herrfrank wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:02 pm I still believe that the old guard (Mayor Wheeler and earlier) put the airport way north exactly for this reason. They thought they could turn Platte County into what south Leawood became. But that ball got dropped in the 1970s.
I actually heard this stated as fact by my extended family growing up
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I am surprised that 169 Highway shooting north from downtown didn't produce more affluent neighborhoods since the commute is pretty fast.

It still boggles my mind that so much of this area still has raw land and isn't developed, and Staley Farms and the Shoal Creek area are getting developed first.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2103918 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Especially this part.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1902319 ... a=!3m1!1e3
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Having grown up in the Northland, Briarcliff area, I can attest that there was some & still is decent wealth. But it was not Leawood fir the simple fact that there were not big HQ’s downtown. They all choose big suburban campuses, not high rises. Yes there were a few but not to the same level. The northland has good schools but the jobs up here mainly blue collar, TWA overhaul base, Ford, just a different type of area. I still live here & work downtown. Love to see the progress & development boom finally. It will benefit KCMO greatly from a tax base. Hopefully more businesses will grow & plant roots downtown & allow workers to get their easily from up North
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Where did the management of Cerner at the North Kansas City campus live?

One of the problems seems to be there hasn't been the development of high-end executive office space in the Northland near the airport that would attract the moneyed.

The Northland might attract more wealth now that there is the infrastructure in the City's expanded boulevard system: the Shoal Creek Parkway, N. Line Creek Parkway, NW 100 Street, Maplewoods Parkway, Tom Watson, and Tiffany Springs Parkway.
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:29 pm Where did the management of Cerner at the North City campus live?
Loch Llyod, but they don't have high ranked public schools
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:29 pm
The Northland might attract more wealth now that there is the infrastructure in the City's expanded boulevard system: the Shoal Creek Parkway, N. Line Creek Parkway, NW 100 Street, Maplewoods Parkway, Tom Watson, and Tiffany Springs Parkway.
does it matter with remote work?
SouthKC_Citizen
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SouthKC_Citizen »

A few days back during the ceremonial merger of KC Southern and Canadian Pacific the governor made comments about all of the expansions happening in KC and hinted at something coming soon. He said, “the opportunities are unreal right now. We just got back from a European trip and you’ll have more coming - that I’m not supposed to say anything about.” Anyone have an idea or guesses as to what this could be?👀

https://www.kmbc.com/amp/article/merger ... l/43606062
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^sounds like our long-awaited international nonstop. And sounds like it is something more than Icelandair. LOL

Hoping for BA to London -- and with it, fingers crossed, an Admirals Club at the AA end of the new terminal A.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

herrfrank wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:13 pm ^sounds like our long-awaited international nonstop. And sounds like it is something more than Icelandair. LOL

Hoping for BA to London -- and with it, fingers crossed, an Admirals Club at the AA end of the new terminal A.
Parson visited Sweden and Germany. So it would have to have been Lufthansa or Condor that he met with.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:05 am
herrfrank wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:13 pm ^sounds like our long-awaited international nonstop. And sounds like it is something more than Icelandair. LOL

Parson visited Sweden and Germany. So it would have to have been Lufthansa or Condor that he met with.
Unless it was informal, he only met with Lufthansa

https://governor.mo.gov/press-releases/ ... ouri-ideal