East Side Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: East Side Development

Post by normalthings »

Ollie Gates (of Gate BBQ Fame) plans on constructing 25 victorian homes at 13th and Euclid.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was hoping those blocks would get apartments instead of single family homes.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts

35 townhomes at 38TH AND PROSPECT AVENU
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo
"One Nine Vine" is an approximately $68 million, two-phased project generally at the area south of 19th Street and the Paseo. The vision — a catalytic concept for Kansas City’s historically designated 18th & Vine District — is to develop a multi-phased project which spans two City blocks. The first phase of the development and the subject of this Proposal — “One Nine Vine” — is more than $18.1 million, mixed-use development comprised of 80 units of one and two-bedroom, market rate and affordable housing units, six mixed-use/retail spaces with 17,550 square feet, and 138 parking spaces (the “Phase 1 Project”)
Developer has been approved by Central City Sales Tax Economic Development Committee for first phase of $68 million two-phase commercial/residential/parking project. Developer would like to meet with DAT to understand boulevard, density and other site development requirements, in advance of substantially proceeding with design drawings.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:53 pm https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo
"One Nine Vine" is an approximately $68 million, two-phased project generally at the area south of 19th Street and the Paseo. The vision — a catalytic concept for Kansas City’s historically designated 18th & Vine District — is to develop a multi-phased project which spans two City blocks. The first phase of the development and the subject of this Proposal — “One Nine Vine” — is more than $18.1 million, mixed-use development comprised of 80 units of one and two-bedroom, market rate and affordable housing units, six mixed-use/retail spaces with 17,550 square feet, and 138 parking spaces (the “Phase 1 Project”)
Developer has been approved by Central City Sales Tax Economic Development Committee for first phase of $68 million two-phase commercial/residential/parking project. Developer would like to meet with DAT to understand boulevard, density and other site development requirements, in advance of substantially proceeding with design drawings.
Can we post this in the 18th and Vine thread?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=813&p=596179&hilit ... ct#p596179
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Looks like Morningstar Church is planning a 33 unit apartment TOD project on Prospect.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

kigmee wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:43 am
chingon wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:42 am Regrettably, the chunky old brick apartment building at 33rd and Paseo partially collapsed and then was demolished a couple months ago. It was the last remnant of multifamily pre-war housing between Linwood and Armour.
Was this on the north side of 33rd? Is anyone aware of development plans in this block?
Yes, this was on the north side. I spoke to the owner last year and the city was getting ready to condemn it. He had been sitting on it for a number of years. It would have been a big project, but I believe it could have been saved if work had started 5 or 6 years ago. Eventually the roof caved in and it was totally exposed.

I am not aware of any current plans.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

I spoke to the owners of the St. Regis at Linwood and Paseo a few weeks ago and they received tax credits to renovate the building. They plan to start work in January. That will be good as the exterior has been looking rough for quite awhile, and there have been construction barriers in the streetnext to it for what has felt like over a year...

It doesn't add much, but I did find these renderings: http://www.pendulumkc.com/st-regis-apartments/

The building is over 100 years old, and, though mostly unrelated, I found this 2018 article in the KC Star that was interesting:

https://www.kansascity.com/entertainmen ... 35814.html
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Will anything be done to the interiors? Will it remain income guidelined?
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Yes interior and exterior renovations, and it will remain age restricted
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There are quite a few East Side projects that were just submitted for bids for planning schematics on Dodge's Construction.com site for in the past couple days. They include:

Legacy at Parade Park Apartment Phase I 64127: $10-15M
Palestine Gardens Apartment Building 64128: $5-10M
Ridgeview Heights Apartment Buildings 64128: $10-15M
Parker Square Apartments 64106: $10-15M (Parker Square Apartments already exist east of Paseo around 10th St. Perhaps this is a replacement or additional phase).
The Cleveland Residential Buildings 64130: $5-10M
MorningStar Senior Apartments Phase II 64109 (presumably around 27th and Brooklyn): $1M
Sam Rodgers Place Apartment Building 64124: $1M
Bodhi Kansas City Apartment Building 64128: $1M
St Michael's Housing Phase 3 64128 (VA Housing): $1.4M
NewView Place II Apartments 64124: $1M
Linwood Lofts Apartment Building 64109: $10-15M. This one wouldn't necessarily need to be East Side. Could be the Milhaus development on the SW corner of Linwood and Troost (valued at $14M). But the fact that this is surrounded by all of these other East Side/affordable projects makes me think it might be something different.
Oak Park Apartment Building 64128: $5-10M

The EPEC and Heritage Lofts at Berkely Riverfront Park (both affordable housing) were also just posted. I assume there is a reason that all of these affordable housing projects are being posted now.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

IIRC the Linwood/Troost development has an affordable component... or it did when UCB was the developer.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Good greaf, that seams like a high volume of projects all at once. What is going on?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:27 am Good greaf, that seams like a high volume of projects all at once. What is going on?
Low Income Housing credit was re-instated. I assume applications due all at once.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Yes, I assume this is related to the tax credits now being available. I don't know the details of all of these developments, but most of them seem to be tied to a not-for-profit or are known low-income/mixed-income developments (so it may be safe to assume all of these are planning on using LIHTC).

You can also add the Marloborough school redevelopment to the list of new East Side projects seeking LIHTC. 37 Apartments plus 18 townhomes.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I know progress has been slow, but wouldn't the Central City Economic Development sales tax be a factor here?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Yes. Northeast corner of 33 and Paseo.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Five overgrown wooded lots at the NE corner of Troost Park have been cleared and are being sold by the church on Tracy that owns them. Historically each held a sixplex colonnade.
The St. Regis has been emptied(most tenants have been moved to the Ambassador) and exterior lifts and scaffolding is being erected to facilitate restoration.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Beacon Hill looking good. Not a fan of the surface parking lots , but can't really complain much. At least the buildings front Troost properly.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Went to the MLM Orchard harvest party at 29th and Highland. Got basket of asian pears tree ripened with hint of honey and butterscotch. Over 100 trees of apple, peach and pear. All free for taking. They have pole fruit pickers to use. Tree with green ribbons are ready to harvest. Apples will be in next month. Volunteers maintain trees, no insecticides, they use beetle lures and traps. Fertilized with invasive asian carp harvested in the Mississippi and dried and ground in fertilizer(or maybe ground and dried?). If you have only eaten fruit harvested a thousand miles away green and then shipped, you will be amazed what organic local tree ripened fruit is like.