OFFICIAL - East Village

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL: East Village downtown neighborhood

Post by chrizow »

ComandanteCero wrote: ^ how so?
how would it aid the E. Xroads scene?  by injecting over 1,000 residents only about 5-10 blocks north of there. 
diamond
Pad site
Pad site

Post by diamond »

Does the city have the money to get this thing off the ground??? That is the question.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

chrizow wrote: how would it aid the E. Xroads scene?  by injecting over 1,000 residents only about 5-10 blocks north of there. 
ah.... connection seems a bit tenuous but ok  :lol:
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It will give us on this corner of the loop some place to eat.  Now the only place in easy walking distance is (yuk) Arun.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

moderne wrote:       It will give us on this corner of the loop some place to eat.  Now the only place in easy walking distance is (yuk) Arun.
Yuk?  The food is fantastic.  Better than all of the other locations, in my opinion.  The only yuk part is that you'll be spending at least $30 if you go there with someone, which is too much for a quick meal grab.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Three tries and the food has at best been mediocre.  Guess I will stick with getting in the car and going over to Thai Paradise(Willy) on Grand.  Better, more authentic, and much cheaper.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

God, I really wish this project would take off... That area is so dirty and worn out...  It just amazed me when I was on the PH level of the Metropolitian to look out and see the difference between the East Village and the area just west of the courthouse... 

BTW, If I lived in the Metro, I don't think I would ever swim in that pool...  You could'nt even swim a lap its so small.
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by myxomatosis »

moderne wrote:      Three tries and the food has at best been mediocre.  Guess I will stick with getting in the car and going over to Thai Paradise(Willy) on Grand.  Better, more authentic, and much cheaper.
I love the food at Arun.  They also make very strong Martinis.  I'll have to try Thai Paradise out sometime.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Thai Paradise is not worth it... I would'nt try it... if you want good Thai food, go to the Thai Place.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thai Paradise is best and most inexpensive and most authentic.  Although I am not asian I did spend 2 months in Thailand and Cambodia.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Posted on Wed, Nov. 30, 2005
South Loop lawyers aboard

East Village proposal gets help
The legal minds behind the South Loop redevelopment plan have been enlisted to help craft another potential big downtown deal — the East Village.

The $340 million redevelopment plan, which calls for a Quality Hill-style neighborhood to replace a blighted district northeast of City Hall, had been scheduled to be considered Friday by the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority. But the presentation has been postponed again to allow time for what is being described as more serious negotiations among the key players.
LINK TO ARTICLE

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Looks like it's moving along...  I must say, the view from the Metropolitian Condos @ the east side of downtown tells the complete story.

If you look down on the proposed area, there is a sharp contrast to the City Hall, and rest of dt. 

God, I really hope this happens.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Its good to see that the private entities involved are woking on getting on the same page with this before they go public before the city.  Working out their respective roles and responsibilites behind closed doors will help present a united front, and hopefully avoid some of the more public disagreements that have surfaced in other developments.  I see this as a good sign.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The article mentions that they visited Sherman Associates in Minneapolis to get ideas for the development.  Does anyone have pictures or a website of their work?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the first two look good...not so keen on "urban_village."
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

We need public input. What are other agencies doing about this planning process? DNA? Civic Council? We have a chance here to change the tide. We can create a neighboorhood that incorporates lower, middle and upper income levels. This would be the chance to truly have mixed use. I hope this project will not be for only upper income. That would be the worst case scenario. Affordability in becoming a big issue downtown.  We can bridge the gap from downtown toward east KC. We must include all areas of KCMO, not just River/Crown/Plaza. Here is the opportunity to connect Northeast, Paseo, 18th and Vine and Beacon Hill. It has to start somewhere, let's not screw this up. 8)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

^completely afree. I personally see the endless kowtowing to "the high-end" demographics to be at best shortsighted, and at worst doomed over the long haul if lack of economic impetus and diversity come in to play -- which always does, eventually.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I drove by that area yesterday, what a dump.  When Cauthen even says it's trashy, that implies a lot.

Hopefully this development totally wipes clean that filth. 
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

So why are you bad mouthing Cauthen again? "When Cauthen even says it's trashy, that implies a lot." Cauthen has done more for downtown than any other city manager in the past 50 years. Please clairfy.