Unruh Furniture

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Unruh Furniture

Post by chaglang »

Maybe HKC can hold a car wash and raise some cash.

The insurance question is an interesting one. They may not pay for a faithful reproduction of the church, so is it enough that, say, the exterior of the building is preserved minus the stained glass windows and the inside is a white box? How much does preservation allow a building to evolve in recognition that it's a furniture factory now and not a church anymore? HKC seems to tend toward putting buildings in amber, but there are more enlightened approaches.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chaglang wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:34 pm Maybe HKC can hold a car wash and raise some cash.

The insurance question is an interesting one. They may not pay for a faithful reproduction of the church, so is it enough that, say, the exterior of the building is preserved minus the stained glass windows and the inside is a white box? How much does preservation allow a building to evolve in recognition that it's a furniture factory now and not a church anymore? HKC seems to tend toward putting buildings in amber, but there are more enlightened approaches.
But, like someone said, the insurance company will look at the building if restored and say it will take $1M to rebuild while the building would only be worth $900K. They will right a check the owner for the value and they will tear it down and move somewhere else.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Hold put on the demolition.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if people these save the building people would just be happy to have it as a vacate spot full vagrants, as long as the history and architecture is saved
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:56 am
longviewmo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:49 am
A church with a congregation probably has more $$$ backing it than a yuppie furniture shop? I mean I agree it should be saved but it’s not like their insurance will be like oh yeah we want this rebuilt.
The average congregation is 70 people with a budget of $85k

https://sites.duke.edu/ncsweb/files/201 ... _final.pdf

I know of a church that bought a commercial property years ago and they couldn't afford to be open today without it. The rent makes up a significant percentage of their budget.

church reuse into commercial or residential properties is likely the only way many of these buildings survive
Ok sure but there’s some a few standard deviations above average, especially with a century and being in the middle of a metro. One or two could’ve endowed it well enough for another century.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Demolition back on starting Monday.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Architectural elements salvaged for sale on Facebook marketplace.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The building/lot adjacent to the west of this site on Main St is for sale. There could be a bit of a silver lining for this tragic loss if these two sites are filled with a nice, dense development along the streetcar extension.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Somehow I feel this wasn't a coincidence, maybe intentional.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

What's your source on that?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

My source is purely suspension. Like I said, "I feel it was not a coincidence"
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Feels a little irresponsible to throw that around without anything to support it.
mykn

Post by mykn »

I doubt it was intentional, for months they had been doing work to stabilize the north wall where it met the turret. The turret and wall were separating and you could see huge gaps developing. Part of 36th street was closed and they had some huge metal beams in place to support the wall from collapsing. If this was intentional, I doubt they would have gone through all that work just to have the roof collapse.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There is a proposal to build 8 townhomes on this site.

While I think that Midtown could defintely use some townhome infill, I still would have preferred the original church to remain or at least something denser, being right by the streetcar line.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 pm There is a proposal to build 8 townhomes on this site.

While I think that Midtown could defintely use some townhome infill, I still would have preferred the original church to remain or at least something denser, being right by the streetcar line.
Something denser would be NIMBY'd.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here is a drawing for the townhomes. These are the 6 facing Walnut, with 2 others facing 36th St:

Site Plan:

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I don't understand the exterior stairs in front.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Looks like there's a garden unit and an upper unit.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Like Quality Hill? Not really a town home then. I assumed there would be garage parking on that lower level.