Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:03 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:46 am How is it that Flaherty Collins can afford completely different high rises in each city? Or Copaken/Altus?

The designs of the Cordish towers do vary but only when it comes to facing P&L. The Main Street theatre site is no exception
Because they’re building mostly one off, low and mid rise buildings. It’s 1000 times easier and affordable to make smaller buildings design forward.
I am familiar with both firms. It would not break the bank to slightly adjust the solid south facing facade of 4 Light. 3L is too late to change. To me, One and Two are visually different enough.

Sky towers might break up the wall but there is no guarantee they happen.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Perhaps we can start calling the area Ho Chi Minh City. :lol:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:33 am What ever building number goes next to Two Light will likely feature similar glass but will be the most unique shape and design yet. Mainly because it has a unique footprint to work with. I’m guessing that building will be 5 or 6.

4L will end up looking similar to One Light due to its footprint if it goes in at 14th and Main.

Calling these designs communist bloc housing is insulting to those who have worked on various aspects of the design process. As is calling deliberate decisions you don’t agree with “lazy”. Trust me, there’s not a single lazy person involved in these buildings. Decisions are made for various reasons but laziness isn’t one of them.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcGunU4jdcr/
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:33 am Calling these designs communist bloc housing is insulting to those who have worked on various aspects of the design process. As is calling deliberate decisions you don’t agree with “lazy”. Trust me, there’s not a single lazy person involved in these buildings. Decisions are made for various reasons but laziness isn’t one of them.
Sorry dude but as an artist, architect, company, whatever and what have you... you put a product out to the public and it is fair game for public critique. When one developer wants to build 6 of the most significant buildings in a city that have been constructed in the last 30 years and they all look monolithic and have an outsized impact on the skyline from arguably the most important direction, well yeah people will complain as is their right. I think basically everyone on this board agrees that we want these towers to go up. I also think everyone agrees that six towers with the same glass curtain looks like shit. Sure maybe it's not laziness but perhaps overconfidence in a brand that can wear out it's welcome. Not sure why you're so eager to shill for these folks even though you've said before you don't actually work for them. Cordish is cool, I'm glad they are here, but they are open to criticism as is everyone.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

At this point I think the glass is more of a branding exercise than an actual design thing. It’s as though cordish is scared everyone will forget who owns the buildings unless they’re all made of exactly the same stuff. This seemed to be an oddly sore subject with Strangerthings as well, so I think we’re dealing with a systemic issue.

“Ah great, I finally made it to the C o r d i s h Z o n etm, I can tell because of what color it is.”
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:19 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:03 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:46 am How is it that Flaherty Collins can afford completely different high rises in each city? Or Copaken/Altus?

The designs of the Cordish towers do vary but only when it comes to facing P&L. The Main Street theatre site is no exception
Because they’re building mostly one off, low and mid rise buildings. It’s 1000 times easier and affordable to make smaller buildings design forward.
Flaherty has 28 floor building in Indy...

And completely different one, 34 floors in Columbus, same developer.
And I guess this means that in the hypothetical situation where Flaherty was building 6 buildings in the same district they’d surely make them all unique and drastically different? Are there any other multi-building downtown, Hirise residential developers in a comparable market?

The one example of Flaherty building a residential development with multiple buildings is Union in Rivermarket and each building looks nearly identical to each other.

I certainly understand your criticism, it’s just a bit harsh and not constructive. If you’re hoping to actually influence change, insults won’t do the trick.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The insult is Cordish pulling a near copy/paste multiple times and expecting us to swallow it. Given the public partnership we certainly should have a say, including a strong say. If nothing is said, the monotony will continue.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Yeah I don't see where the insult comes into play. I'm just seeing opinions and valid ones at that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:27 pm Yeah I don't see where the insult comes into play. I'm just seeing opinions and valid ones at that.
Very valid and agree that they’re opinions, not expert analysis.

The insult would be calling it a communist bloc housing project and implying the buildings designs are similar because of laziness.

I’ll bow out of the glass wall debate. It’s been beat to a unrecognizable state by this point. The horse is dead.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:05 pm And I guess this means that in the hypothetical situation where Flaherty was building 6 buildings in the same district they’d surely make them all unique and drastically different? Are there any other multi-building downtown, Hirise residential developers in a comparable market?

The one example of Flaherty building a residential development with multiple buildings is Union in Rivermarket and each building looks nearly identical to each other.

I certainly understand your criticism, it’s just a bit harsh and not constructive. If you’re hoping to actually influence change, insults won’t do the trick.
Take this as some ideas for whats being done in peer markets similarly on a budget. Flaherty is building a mixed-use district now with various highrises and yet is mixing up the architecture. Different materials and glasses goes a long way.

Phase 1: Highrise Construction. The incorporation on brick and metal paneling really helps to break things up.

Phase 2: Also highrise construction, starting construction this year btw. Notice that the "long" facade is broken up with bump outs/bump ins
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Color of the glass and look of the buildings can be debated all the time but the way I see it, companies have their own models and things that work. What we see at the Light Towers and Ballpark Village is Cordish's model. They might switch up the designs a bit for 4, 5 and 6 (5 and 6 I believe to be the two Crossroads sites), but I don't expect the designs to be radically different unless Cordish decided to change their model.

3 Light will at least look different thanks to the roof slant, "3", and the slight facade variation.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:44 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:33 am Calling these designs communist bloc housing is insulting to those who have worked on various aspects of the design process. As is calling deliberate decisions you don’t agree with “lazy”. Trust me, there’s not a single lazy person involved in these buildings. Decisions are made for various reasons but laziness isn’t one of them.
Sorry dude but as an artist, architect, company, whatever and what have you... you put a product out to the public and it is fair game for public critique. When one developer wants to build 6 of the most significant buildings in a city that have been constructed in the last 30 years and they all look monolithic and have an outsized impact on the skyline from arguably the most important direction, well yeah people will complain as is their right. I think basically everyone on this board agrees that we want these towers to go up. I also think everyone agrees that six towers with the same glass curtain looks like shit. Sure maybe it's not laziness but perhaps overconfidence in a brand that can wear out it's welcome. Not sure why you're so eager to shill for these folks even though you've said before you don't actually work for them. Cordish is cool, I'm glad they are here, but they are open to criticism as is everyone.
Appreciate this response. I’ve passed along a large amount of this boards criticism to the right people and decision makers. It’s not the criticism I don’t support, it’s the dramatic one who has to take it to a hyperbolic level that I’m pushing back on.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If Cordish weren't pursuing something as hyperbolic as 6 similar buildings with 3 in a row, you'd have a valid point.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

10% leased. Assume this is mostly transfers from 1 and 2 so far.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

I would be alot less bothered by the designs if Cordish actually started putting up 2,3, etc towers at a time. Agree that things can be do to change the design without breaking the bank
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Walker wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:54 pm I would be alot less bothered by the designs if Cordish actually started putting up 2,3, etc towers at a time. Agree that things can be do to change the design without breaking the bank
Same I don’t really care what they look like, just start building them as quick as we can
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Cordish will have some competition soon for "high-rise" residential DT. They better up their game.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:36 am Cordish will have some competition soon for "high-rise" residential DT. They better up their game.
from who?

Edgemoor is the only real active tower residential project that comes to mind. They are a long ways from getting started. EPC/CBC might have something brewing but its in a bit of a dead area.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It'd make sense.

It is kinda weird that Cordish is able to build & lease these new towers at a pretty rapid pace and not a single other developer has wanted to get in on this. They're literally just watching Cordish take the entire pie for themselves.