Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:57 pm variance in height is minimal between 1,2,3
nothing to indicate this will change for 4,5,6,
Not talking 100 foot difference between buildings but the elevation for the movie theatre block is already 20' higher. They started with the lowest location and saving what's considered the best location for last.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:21 pm
langosta wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:57 pm variance in height is minimal between 1,2,3
Not talking 100 foot difference between buildings but the elevation for the movie theatre block is already 20' higher. They started with the lowest location and saving what's considered the best location for last.
Wait, I'm curious. Does Cordish still plan to build on 14 + Main and the B&B Theatre parking lot?

P.S. as the daytime, tourism, and permanent resident populations keep going up a 7-11 would be clutch. I never knew how crucial 7-11 and Dunkin Donuts was to a daily routine until I lived in Chicago and now I just feel lost if I don't see one in walking distance.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:34 pm ^They are indeed just one opinion, which I often press for projects that involve public aid. Others have a preference for wider variation but believe it's due to cost when it doesn't have to be. Will continue to point that out. You're sending a lot of mixed messages so hard to really figure out the need to use basically same framework.

So why will the 14th/Main site look mostly like 1L?
I didn't say it would look like 1L as in the finishes but possible in shape due to a similar footprint. It actually has 2600sqf less than the plot 1L had to work with.

The choices made are due to the preferences of the developer. It is understood not everyone will agree or align with those preferences but the goal of these buildings is to be leased up and add residents to the downtown area.

I get all the talk about the skyline but the most iconic view of downtown from Union Station will look great with all the light buildings completed. The real iconic buildings in downtown will still be visible and fit nicely. Not sure what we will all do about not being able to see the H&R HQ though.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:29 pm
Wait, I'm curious. Does Cordish still plan to build on 14 + Main and the B&B Theatre parking lot?

P.S. as the daytime, tourism, and permanent resident populations keep going up a 7-11 would be clutch. I never knew how crucial 7-11 and Dunkin Donuts was to a daily routine until I lived in Chicago and now I just feel lost if I don't see one in walking distance.
Yes! 14th & Main, theatre parking lot and one more possible location within the PNL district.

Agree with you on the morning options.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If the worry is that our skyline will be covered by other buildings now, that's a good thing.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:35 pm

Yes! 14th & Main, theatre parking lot and one more possible location within the PNL district.

Are you able to say anything more on location of the third, would those be after the crossroads ones or before?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:17 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:35 pm

Are you able to say anything more on location of the third, would those be after the crossroads ones or before?
Strata or northside of Jones garage are my bet.

Sky on Main is under its own incentive deal.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

wow so Cordish may develop 6 high rises on the P&L and codevelop 2 in the Crossroads?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:37 pm wow so Cordish may develop 6 high rises on the P&L and codevelop 2 in the Crossroads?
P&L calls for 6 apartment towers and 1 hotel.

Sky on Main is an application for 2 towers.

Total of 8 if they all end up happening.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yes, hopefully Cordish won't be influencing the Sky architecture to be similar to the other 6. Sounds like they won't, we'll see.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I’m guessing after the 4L at 14th & Main their next target in P&L is the “above the retail” spot right next to it?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

the Strata site makes sense. it would be quite game changing if all 8 were finished by a 2032 season opener at a DTKC Royals stadium. couple that with the South Loop Link, North Loop removal, a growing population, and skies the limit. now if the school district keeps getting better and the murder rate drops we could even see actual growth trickle into the Eastside.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yeah it's a pretty decent momentum now even if not as hot as the South. Hopefully Cordish will be involved with the downtown stadium too as well as other developers to balance out the risk for all (and each giving their own flavor of ideally more towers).
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:49 pm the Strata site makes sense. it would be quite game changing if all 8 were finished by a 2032 season opener at a DTKC Royals stadium. couple that with the South Loop Link, North Loop removal, a growing population, and skies the limit. now if the school district keeps getting better and the murder rate drops we could even see actual growth trickle into the Eastside.
I thought it would be the 2031 season?

It says here following the 2030 season, their lease is expired
https://www.wibw.com/2022/03/29/report- ... um-kansas/
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:07 pm
daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:49 pm the Strata site makes sense. it would be quite game changing if all 8 were finished by a 2032 season opener at a DTKC Royals stadium. couple that with the South Loop Link, North Loop removal, a growing population, and skies the limit. now if the school district keeps getting better and the murder rate drops we could even see actual growth trickle into the Eastside.
I thought it would be the 2031 season?

It says here following the 2030 season, their lease is expired
https://www.wibw.com/2022/03/29/report- ... um-kansas/
this says 2031 but idk tbr.
https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-explori ... ansas-city
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.lawinsider.com/contracts/5A4bsMch0oV
Extension of Initial Term of Lease. The Initial Term, as set forth in the Original Lease, is hereby extended for a period of approximately twenty-five (25) years commencing on the Amendment Effective Date and ending on January 31, 2031.
Date the lease ends for the Chiefs and Royals. However, I'm sure both teams can cut a check and exit early if they choose
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have several places that the Royals want to have a new stadium in place prior to the lease expiring and the Chiefs are hoping for that as well so they know what to do. I can see a new stadium opening around 2030 or even sooner.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:00 pm I have several places that the Royals want to have a new stadium in place prior to the lease expiring and the Chiefs are hoping for that as well so they know what to do. I can see a new stadium opening around 2030 or even sooner.
At the rate they're going now it makes sense. What's the point of opening in 2031 when in 2022 we're already steaming towards a build.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:23 am
GRID wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:00 pm I have several places that the Royals want to have a new stadium in place prior to the lease expiring and the Chiefs are hoping for that as well so they know what to do. I can see a new stadium opening around 2030 or even sooner.
At the rate they're going now it makes sense. What's the point of opening in 2031 when in 2022 we're already steaming towards a build.
Lot of things that still need to be ironed out. We’re still relatively early in the process
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

freedog wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:28 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:23 am
Lot of things that still need to be ironed out. We’re still relatively early in the process
Step 1: break the news that under no circumstances will the Royals be playing in Kauffman stadium after 2030. Let the small but loud opponents to a new stadium have time to accept reality.