Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Three Light

Post by Cratedigger »

A coffeeshop/cocktail hybrid restaurant would do well on the Main Street side of the building.

Something like The Royal in DC or Kobrick Coffee in NYC
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

FangKC wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:00 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:06 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:10 am

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a live human using a downtown bank
I work for Commerce, my office is in the old Trust Building. The bank in the Walnut Lobby had clients in it everyday. They closed it and opened a new branch on corner of 10th & Main. They do get used
What do they use the lobby of the Commerce Trust Building for now?
They converted it into an employee break room & event space of sorts. They have stuff for employees to eat lunch, relax etc. but also will host receptions in the space for bank business, meetings, etc. They’re offices directly above it in a Mezzanine. It’s a great space inside really neat. Still have the old teller counter intact. There are some gates that still let you peak inside if you are in the building
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I always enjoyed going into that lobby.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

the lobby was great and still a cool space. I believe it was one of Johnathan Kemper's pet projects to restore it and make it a nice show piece of sorts for the building. I'm happy it still has use for the company. Now if we could get more people down here to fill it up more every day would be great :)
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Permit for Chase Bank tenant finish at 1467 Main...

KCDowntown
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KCDowntown wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:56 am Permit for Chase Bank tenant finish at 1467 Main...

KCDowntown
But I thought DCole made up everything and didn’t have real sources
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:47 am
KCDowntown wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:56 am Permit for Chase Bank tenant finish at 1467 Main...

KCDowntown
But I thought DCole made up everything and didn’t have real sources
Just a big ole liar.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Who has called dcole a liar? He's one of the most reliable on this site when it comes to pnl stuff.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:27 pm Who has called dcole a liar? He's one of the most reliable on this site when it comes to pnl stuff.
They're talking about me, which is whatever. I stand by the comments I said but agreed to not interact with him about this stuff because it was causing too much drama, even for this site.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hmm I don't think your posts have hinted at him being a liar but whatever, I'll stay out of it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

For the record on what was said about me: “ My problem is you constantly making shit up about a project getting ready to start when it's not true.

It's just a load of bullshit and for some reason people think you have some connection with cordish when they want nothing to do with you.”

It’s in the past and I’m not looking to bring it back up. But I’m going to defend myself where applicable.

Moving on.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What happened to the tenant for Famous Dave's?
Developersanonymous
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Developersanonymous »

in defense of the Chase bank and Cordish... i would think that Chase is paying a VERY high rent for this space. likely puts Cordish in a much better position to strike a more friendly deal for the next retailer adjacent. the cost of rent in these spaces is very high. its not Cordish fault they have a proforma to hit and returns on investment. Else they wouldn't build. by putting a very high rent payer in the main space. it provides some cushion to allow for other users (more attractive to the community) to come in and actually afford the deals here. also, parking is a problem. even in a downtown area you need to be able to park customers to a degree. a bank pays a lot of money in rent and requires very few parking spaces. it allows for the residents and adjacent retail spaces to occupy more parking spaces increasing the likelihood they get leased and filling the entire project. i think its a smart play when you look at all the factors put together. you cant be scared to hit a couple singles and doubles. not every at bat can be a home run.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Developersanonymous wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:00 am in defense of the Chase bank and Cordish... i would think that Chase is paying a VERY high rent for this space. likely puts Cordish in a much better position to strike a more friendly deal for the next retailer adjacent. the cost of rent in these spaces is very high. its not Cordish fault they have a proforma to hit and returns on investment. Else they wouldn't build. by putting a very high rent payer in the main space. it provides some cushion to allow for other users (more attractive to the community) to come in and actually afford the deals here. also, parking is a problem. even in a downtown area you need to be able to park customers to a degree. a bank pays a lot of money in rent and requires very few parking spaces. it allows for the residents and adjacent retail spaces to occupy more parking spaces increasing the likelihood they get leased and filling the entire project. i think its a smart play when you look at all the factors put together. you cant be scared to hit a couple singles and doubles. not every at bat can be a home run.
Chase is a very good credit with almost 0 risk of missing payments. Adds some jobs and a service albeit maybe redundant.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

::don’t bite on Cordish proforma” and “bad parking”
don’t bite on “Cordish proforma” and “bad parking”
don’t bite on “Cordish proforma” and “bad parking”::
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The city is paying for their parking garage just to be clear to the "parking is a problem". Imagine a free parking garage built on your block and that being used as a crutch.

It's just a poor tenant. it's fine, we see it everywhere in retail right now but let's not act like this is a win.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

We just need to admit the parking garages are a sunk cost at this point. They were negotiated in a different time.

I personally would have tried to use the leverage we have over the park and surrounding areas to try to fix that a bit. At least towards their treatment of closing streats.

Downtown has changed so much since that was negotiated and it seems insane we haven't updated the agreement in a more comprehensive way. But there have been some city actors that acted in bad faith too.

If I'm negotiating, and they want space there and programming, I say let's talk. :)
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:15 pm We just need to admit the parking garages are a sunk cost at this point. They were negotiated in a different time.

I personally would have tried to use the leverage we have over the park and surrounding areas to try to fix that a bit. At least towards their treatment of closing streats.

Downtown has changed so much since that was negotiated and it seems insane we haven't updated the agreement in a more comprehensive way. But there have been some city actors that acted in bad faith too.

If I'm negotiating, and they want space there and programming, I say let's talk. :)
Cordish can always build more housing over retail or to the south and use those garages. I’d rather build what will essentially become district garages today allowing for more unique (and skinnier) development sites in the future.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

What are the issues or complaints with the parking garages?

As for the bank tenant. I know it’s not a sexy pick but some good points on why it’s an overall positive add have already been mentioned here.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Chase Bank has been expanding throughout KC metro rapidly. IIRC we were one of the largest markets for Chase without physical locations. Retail is hard to fill right now, especially new spaces. Yes, it's 'another bank,' but hopefully, a legacy bank like that will stay long term and more filled storefronts are good for more development long term.