Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by DaveKCMO »

Most people walking in cities aren't on leisurely strolls -- they're walking with purpose (office to car, bus to office, office to store). The argument against skywalks is that they take away another use case for more eyes on the street. Do you think the prevalence of skywalks and the decline of urban centers aren't related?

Ban skywalks, period.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:08 pm Most people walking in cities aren't on leisurely strolls -- they're walking with purpose (office to car, bus to office, office to store). The argument against skywalks is that they take away another use case for more eyes on the street. Do you think the prevalence of skywalks and the decline of urban centers aren't related?

Ban skywalks, period.
So no skywalks between hospital buildings for transporting patients? No skywalks connecting a office building to parking garage in the Midwest so humans are not forced to take more time putting themselves in more dangerous situations during the winter?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The 20th century called and they want their asinine ideas back
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I actually reluctantly supported the skywalk here because it was between two secured areas. I live in a place that has private access to a convenience store and I use it all the time, so first stone and all that.

Not at all sad to see it go though. Just heat the sidewalks between and the issue is gone.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I was looking 3L today while going by- it really looks like it’s going to change the feel of downtown the way it’s going up. It’s really filling that spot nicely. It’s giving the first newly dense built feel I’ve seen in a while.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:28 pm The 20th century called and they want their asinine ideas back
Oh, now you're a progressive? Don't you typically advocate for keeping things that are old?

I didn't know that convenience went out with the 20th century. We should put a stop to grocery delivery too since it discourages foot traffic.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

W form going up
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Surprise it's actually a W hotel!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:18 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:08 pm Most people walking in cities aren't on leisurely strolls -- they're walking with purpose (office to car, bus to office, office to store). The argument against skywalks is that they take away another use case for more eyes on the street. Do you think the prevalence of skywalks and the decline of urban centers aren't related?

Ban skywalks, period.
So no skywalks between hospital buildings for transporting patients? No skywalks connecting a office building to parking garage in the Midwest so humans are not forced to take more time putting themselves in more dangerous situations during the winter?
You can't ban skywalks on private property, so no. Want a skywalk to span public space? The answer should be no in all cases. Otherwise, we won't have vibrant cities.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:25 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:18 pm

Ban skywalks, period.
You can't ban skywalks on private property, so no. Want a skywalk to span public space? The answer should be no in all cases. Otherwise, we won't have vibrant cities.
Valid point.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'm not really buying that the W is an "architectural element".
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:27 am I'm not really buying that the W is an "architectural element".
What else would it be?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:29 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:27 am I'm not really buying that the W is an "architectural element".
What else would it be?
Structural
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Why can't it be both? Is there another building in downtown KC with that element?

Imo it looks cool
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:16 am Why can't it be both? Is there another building in downtown KC with that element?

Imo it looks cool
It totally is both. A unique feature that I’m sure cost more to include.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:27 am
Cratedigger wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:16 am Why can't it be both? Is there another building in downtown KC with that element?

Imo it looks cool
It totally is both. A unique feature that I’m sure cost more to include.
I figured it was obvious it was a structural element. I got the impression he had some conspiracy vibes with his comment.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:31 am
What else would it be?
Structural
There's no reason for it structurally. It is purely design oriented, but I don't understand why you put one three story design element in that one location. If it was for pure esthetics, you'd put the design in several points of the building and would likely make the load transition over just one level. Putting an absolutely massive, 3 story W at one point just really doesn't make any sense.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:48 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:31 am

What else would it be?
Structural
There's no reason for it structurally. It is purely design oriented, but I don't understand why you put one three story design element in that one location. If it was for pure esthetics, you'd put the design in several points of the building and would likely make the load transition over just one level. Putting an absolutely massive, 3 story W at one point just really doesn't make any sense.
That's where the architectural portion comes in. It's supporting 11 floors of apartments above it, so sure I guess they could have just went with some simple straight columns? Not sure where else you could utilize the same type of support columns. This will create the roof over the shaded amenity area.

I'd say it's a statement piece since it will be a standout element looking at it from the north.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It would have been an excellent statement piece had a W Hotel gone into that building.