Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Three Light

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:58 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:36 pm You wouldn’t it’s come along at all if you listened to some people on these forums lol.
This makes me feel very old, but I'm guessing there are people that have been members here and on the predecessor longer than you've been alive.

No one believes what you said, and a lot of people here were formative in making it happen.

Your generation needs to continue it. Good luck :)
Ah, thank you. I apologize for being Gen-Z and thinking KC has done well as long I've seen it. I'm alot more concerned about the Chiefs season's life right now than any of this dumb whining.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Driving on the the entrenched South Loop with Two Light, Three Light and Waddell Reed on one side and the Loews Hotel on the other should have quite an urban canyon feel when completed. It will even be more pronounced when (and if) Cordish builds the proposed mixed use project on the south side of I-670. That is, until it is capped.
The canyon effect is just as pronounced on foot. Went to Tannin on Walnut Saturday evening and walked a bit, checking out the construction from ground level, and it's really neat to see that early 2000's Kay Barnes vision of the "south loop" starting to come to fruition (to WoodDraw's point - dating myself).

One can easily see how vibrant a freeway cap park would be, an instant smash hit if designed even reasonably well.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Love the urban canyon forming along I-670. They need to deck it, but driving through there is pretty cool with all the buildings towering over the depressed interstate.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Still like the Petticoat Lane urban canyon(except for the skywalk). Although it was more like a gorge when the Lillis and Waldheim buildings were there.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

My favorite street in KC is Walnut. It has a nice urban canyon downtown (3light will make it even better), but even in crossroads, it has a nice urban canyon feel to it (even though buildings are shorter) with some distance that I don't think any other street in the city has.

I think that skywalk for 3 light will goof it up some though.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Baltimore Ave now filling in nicely with an urban canyon view, just needs a few more buildings adapted at ground floor to entice foot traffic.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:38 pm Baltimore Ave now filling in nicely with an urban canyon view, just needs a few more buildings adapted at ground floor to entice foot traffic.
If there were a good cap park along Truman with ground level retail/restaurants I think it would rival P&L.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:36 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:38 pm Baltimore Ave now filling in nicely with an urban canyon view, just needs a few more buildings adapted at ground floor to entice foot traffic.
If there were a good cap park along Truman with ground level retail/restaurants I think it would rival P&L.
P&L fronts Truman, really hope it wouldn't rival itself
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Ground breaking ceremony is today. I’ll be curious to see how they set this up with such limited space at the construction site.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Are we expecting an announcement at the event?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i walked by some people gathered out there on my way in to work this morning. which one was you @dcolekc????
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

wahoowa wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:28 am i walked by some people gathered out there on my way in to work this morning. which one was you @dcolekc????
???

I saw several people walk by this morning. Which one were you?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

mostly unremarkable looking white guy, blue sweater, very apologetic as i walked through the sightline of some lady who was taking pictures of an empty stage, and oh i did a little dance on the grave of the massive potted plant that formerly blocked pedestrian access near the spark entrance! does that narrow it down?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

wahoowa wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:08 am mostly unremarkable looking white guy, blue sweater…
This probably describes 50% of people on this forum…the other 50% wore their gray sweater today.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

wahoowa wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:08 am mostly unremarkable looking white guy, blue sweater, very apologetic as i walked through the sightline of some lady who was taking pictures of an empty stage, and oh i did a little dance on the grave of the massive potted plant that formerly blocked pedestrian access near the spark entrance! does that narrow it down?
I think I did see you but I was shaking hands and kissing babies. Definitely couldn’t pick you out of a police lineup if there are more than 5 unremarkable white guys in sweaters!

First thing I noticed when I arrived was the awkward chair spacing and the fact any pedestrians would need to walk right in front of the stage to pass by.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DCole, announce the cap or Four Light when you give your speech on stage today!
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

the set up was awkward but it pretty much had to be, there's just not a lot of room over there. at least the block didn't smell like toxic waste like it did yesterday morning around the same time.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

wahoowa wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 am the set up was awkward but it pretty much had to be, there's just not a lot of room over there. at least the block didn't smell like toxic waste like it did yesterday morning around the same time.
We can’t win the smell battle downtown. Everyday it’s a new nasal experience!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's all just admit groundbreakings are kind of silly. I'd hate to have to attend those things if I was a public official.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:57 am Let's all just admit groundbreakings are kind of silly. I'd hate to have to attend those things if I was a public official.
150% for marketing purposes and yes, they're silly but it's important to mark these big milestones downtown, even if it's for 18 Light. ;)