Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Three Light

Post by gfenn11 »

Also shows they could break it up a bit by making the flat landings on Main into units. Give it some life at night.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The "3" on the signage as shown on the renderings looks suspiciously like the new heart/fountain logo on the city flag turned on its side.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Progress continues

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Very nice pic. Really captures the height comparison between two and three light.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I think they'll jump the crane one more time within the next week or two. It's at that point.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Jump the crane for just some steel framing for the slanted parapet?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

moderne wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:35 pm Jump the crane for just some steel framing for the slanted parapet?
I think it has 2-stories to go till it's topped out and then the slanted parapet. But I'm not sure. A small crane jump would have to occur.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

By my physical count it has reached the top floor of the apartment units.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

They won't be bumping the crane. It's topped out. They just need to add the decorative framing on top which will hide the top of the elevator shaft. The parapet on the east end will go up about another half floor and the west end will go up about two floors.

I still think the extra 2-3 floors would have made a huge difference in the aesthetics especially considering how much of the tower is a parking garage. It's too stubby sitting on the garage (like 2 light). But I still think it turned out pretty decent. I'm glad the glass is very different from 2 Light and the parapet will help a lot.

The original from that angle:

As simple as One Light is, I like it the most because it's not on a pedestal (or at least not a pedestal with 20% larger footprint than the tower.) One light is a more urban design at street level.

2 and 3 light do look better from the north vantage point though than from the south where the garages look like 1/3 of the buildings.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I do like how the vertical contrasting bay on the west of the south side continues down on to the parking podium, sort of tying the tower to the podium.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

moderne wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:28 pm I do like how the vertical contrasting bay on the west of the south side continues down on to the parking podium, sort of tying the tower to the podium.
Yeah, that vertical glass bay makes a HUGE difference. Otherwise it would just be a block on a block, like Two Light. Like I said, the towers look decent from the north where most of their architecture features are and the garages are better hidden. Too bad they couldn't do something similar with the south sides which is what most people see. But that vertical glass does help a lot.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Looking forward to seeing the slanted parapet frame out. Think it will add some dynamism to the SOLO skyline. It is an inexpensive way to do something other than another flat top. I noticed on the Fox 4 weather shot how the dreaded Cordish wall already has become a reality, and it is not just Cordish. Viewing from Signal Hill going from the west to east one sees BCBS, Loews, HR Block, 1 Light, 2 Light, all about the same height, all flat profile. Interesting that the Cordish St. Louis apartment sorta has the slanted profile, but only from the west. From the east, across the river which is the only St. Louis skyline view ever shown, the building does not show the slant. Missed opportunity.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The steel framing for the slanted parapet has been erected on the north side.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Did DColeKC get reprimanded from his job or did you guys make him mad enough that he no longer participates on this forum? I kinda miss his leaks of information...
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Pretty sure he ragequit on his own volition, but I don't know if being called out constantly on his use of culture wars boogeymen or the insufficient gratitude being showered upon him for the Cordish boot-licking was what ultimately sent him packing.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

atticus23 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:31 pm Did DColeKC get reprimanded from his job or did you guys make him mad enough that he no longer participates on this forum? I kinda miss his leaks of information...
They pissed him off too much that he left. Yes I concur it was stupid they pushed him off here, as atleast some of his takes held good insight that we needed.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Also on the same subject- what happened to 'normalthings'? He's been missing for 2 months and he used to post everyday.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:25 pm Also on the same subject- what happened to 'normalthings'? He's been missing for 2 months and he used to post everyday.
She?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

NormalThings has been around, just has been busy. I know him. Besides, taking a break from social media is positive for the mind.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:39 pm NormalThings has been around, just has been busy. I know him. Besides, taking a break from social media is positive for the mind.
Her?