KC metro growth and migration stats

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KC metro growth and migration stats

Post by GRID »

I'm in Indy a couple times a year and it's true that they have a more focused downtown but that's all Indy has. They don't have large districts outside of downtown like KCMO has. And while it might be nice to go to downtown for a large event at their stadium, that area of Downtown Indy is totally dead most of the time and just has a couple generic hotels nearby. I often get my White Castle fix a that location near the stadium lol.

Also, Indy to me seems more rednecky lower class or something. Monument Circle is like an urban version of Noland Road back in the 80's with loud cars cruising etc. The city just has an odd vibe that I have never cared for. And even though its population is nearly the same as KC's, it feels much smaller.

But it has a great package for hosting large conventions and stadium events.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

But Indy has Saprio's Deli, which is fricking fantastic.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Indy has an event driven downtown, doesn't feel as well rounded as KCs. A healthy downtown is also lively w/out events, which KC was approaching but COVID didn't help. KC's urban core is going to have a great experience when there's a free fare streetcar running to Plaza/UMKC. Should really make a noticeable improvement with urban experience for locals and visitors, but City needs to ensure TOD oriented development along line and not isolated islands.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:54 pm Indy has an event driven downtown, doesn't feel as well rounded as KCs. A healthy downtown is also lively w/out events, which KC was approaching but COVID didn't help. KC's urban core is going to have a great experience when there's a free fare streetcar running to Plaza/UMKC. Should really make a noticeable improvement with urban experience for locals and visitors, but City needs to ensure TOD oriented development along line and not isolated islands.
We should try to pry their events. They get Final Fours, Tournaments, Big 10 football & basketball championship, and even Super Bowl. And I’m sure many other things.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That would be fine but better to focus on more more more residential projects to become less less less reliant on events. More more more events would become icing on cake rather than a dependency.

(laughing at myself for the redundancy of "TOD oriented development", we started happy hour a bit early today.)
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:16 pm
We should try to pry their events. They get Final Fours, Tournaments, Big 10 football & basketball championship, and even Super Bowl. And I’m sure many other things.
Here's where we can partly agree to agree. KC should be absolutely all out on competing with cities like Indy that are IMO doing a worse job than us and showcasing why we do it better. Only thing for me is that means a lot more than sports.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I live in a KCMO neighborhood that is highly Latino (37 percent)--probably more so than most neighborhoods other than maybe the Westside. My observation solely based on my street is that Latinos tend to have more children. In my case, every Latino family has 3 or more children in the household. My neighbor next door have 4 children.

I think this also holds true nationwide for Latinos based on demographic information I've read in the past. I think the national average is something like 2.5 children for all Americans with children.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yes, typically the case from stats I've seen for Latinx areas. Consistent with why WyCo birth rate % a bit higher than metro average. But KC metro's birrthrate is still declining overall in general about every year as with US overall. On STL article comment, the KC growth partly comes from birth/death difference (STL typically does too except 2021) but also in-migration, which KC does have and STL as a net total is a notable loss.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:28 pm
Here's where we can partly agree to agree. KC should be absolutely all out on competing with cities like Indy that are IMO doing a worse job than us and showcasing why we do it better. Only thing for me is that means a lot more than sports.
Absolutely, goes way beyond sports. I just think it’s a little embarrassing we let them snatch events that I think we should be getting. I agree with earthling too that we should use these as icing and not the cake for dependency. I think STL is the type of downtown that is dependent on Cardinals & Blues and can’t live without it
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I have no doubts that KC would do a better job hosting Final Four games than Indy does. It realistically would probably be a better experience for most fans.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Speak of the devil- Indianapolis announced today they’re gonna get to host the USA Swimming Olympic Trials for the 2024 Games!

This is what I’m talking about…we shouldn’t a town like that scoop these events from us.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:46 pm This is what I’m talking about…we shouldn’t a town like that scoop these events from us.
Yeah! We should get all the events like this! 100%.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:28 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:46 pm This is what I’m talking about…we shouldn’t a town like that scoop these events from us.
Indy has more & newer downtown hotels. They continue to push new convention center hotels.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:28 pm
Yeah! And maybe if we push really hard, we can get the entire Olympics here!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:46 pm
Speak of the devil- Indianapolis announced today they’re gonna get to host the USA Swimming Olympic Trials for the 2024 Games!

This is what I’m talking about…we shouldn’t a town like that scoop these events from us.
Indi and Omaha both have the will to go after other cities. We don't seem to.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:04 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:46 pm

Indi and Omaha both have the will to go after other cities. We don't seem to.
Indi has more rooms and good quality. Pushing the construction of some big new convention hotels even during COVID
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:15 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:21 pm
earthling wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:47 pm ^KC metro is still larger than Indy metro but Indy city (860K) will probably maintain its lead over KCMO city proper (500K+) for quite a while. Indy metro may overtake KC metro at some point. May take over a decade and not suggesting it will happen, but good chance given the abundance of rust belt population shift, which is really a jobs shift and Indy and Columbus metros are gaining more than their share of Rust Belt region jobs.
Yes, but KC proper is growing faster than Indy proper. To be fair, KC proper is doing better than alot of urban cities surprisingly. Check out how low Dallas's is.
Where can I see this info at?
For which city specifically? I usually just looked on wiki or google
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TAMU has updated the migration for 2021 showing history format. Click to right to see other metros.
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/popu ... y%2C_MO-KS

If KC metro could grab 5K-10K net in-migration each year this decade it would be healthy manageable growth and stay inline with COL/Indy. It will be difficult though with COL/Indy grabbing more share of significant rust belt exit. KC's outer regional cities (Des Moines, Omaha, Wichita) are healthier than rust belt so KC's regional draw smaller.

Still somewhat shocking to me that Denver took an out-migration hit. Figured they'd benefit some from W Coast exit.
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/popu ... wood%2C_CO

KC should also put in a request to Texas to send their immigrants here, which they've been shipping to DC. They help stabilize inner KCK/KCMO.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Interesting. 2020 was obviously anomalous but 2021 was still a fall-off from prior years.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:29 pm Yeah! And maybe if we push really hard, we can get the entire Olympics here!
This actually did happen, back in the 1960s. Mayor Wheeler and his predecessors really wanted KC to host the 1976 Olympics. (They went instead to Montreal.) We had tried for the 1968 US bid, but were out-maneuvered by Detroit. Detroit only lost to Mexico City by one vote IIRC.