Oak Tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Oak Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:38 pm Does anyone know what the rental occupancy rate is for the building right now?
30%
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kevin Collison is reporting a facade restoration may be happening.

Oak Tower may be Restored to Original 1920s Grandeur

The 28-story Oak Tower near City Hall was bought by Bill Schultheis a year ago, and he’s pursuing a renovation plan that would restore its original terra cotta exterior and give it new life as a mixed-use project including possible residential.
An initial inspection by Corey Thomas of Pishny Restoration Services in Lenexa has found most of the original terra cotta is intact behind the facade. The anchors used to attach the facade to the building however, have caused damage.
And Schultheis said in a stroke of luck, the previous owner had found the ornate original entrance canopy in a junkyard where it had sat for 30 years after being removed for the stucco work and replaced it.

https://cityscenekc.com/oak-tower-may-b ... Vjua8l48-Q
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

What a Christmas wish come true!
including possible residential...
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:28 am Kevin Collison is reporting a facade restoration may be happening.

Oak Tower may be Restored to Original 1920s Grandeur

The 28-story Oak Tower near City Hall was bought by Bill Schultheis a year ago, and he’s pursuing a renovation plan that would restore its original terra cotta exterior and give it new life as a mixed-use project including possible residential.
An initial inspection by Corey Thomas of Pishny Restoration Services in Lenexa has found most of the original terra cotta is intact behind the facade. The anchors used to attach the facade to the building however, have caused damage.
And Schultheis said in a stroke of luck, the previous owner had found the ornate original entrance canopy in a junkyard where it had sat for 30 years after being removed for the stucco work and replaced it.

https://cityscenekc.com/oak-tower-may-b ... Vjua8l48-Q
That would be wonderful. I would love to see that building restored to its former glory. I wonder if they are looking at a residential or office use for the building?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

saw the story, it would be really cool to bring it back to the 1920's grandur. It would go very nicely with the other building of that era in the area, nice contrast to the modern around it well. It would definitely be an improvement to the building looking like a weird radio antenna now 8)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The story reports that the building owner plans for it to be a mixed-use tower retaining several good office tenants and converting part of the building to residential.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Maybe they were looking at KCRag? ;)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Is this tower dead and unoccupied currently?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No. It's 30 percent occupied with office tenants (mostly government and legal).
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

moderne wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:32 pm I have the magazine and newspaper clippings stuck between the pages of the KC architecture books' entry on this building. Someday I will unpack the box the book is in and scan the articles.
Hey moderne, did you ever post these?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:34 pm No. It's 30 percent occupied with office tenants (mostly government and legal).
Gov. Coms. Legal (related to Gov). Coms are the hardest to move around iirc
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

shinatoo: Those are back on the fifth page. Especially interesting is the planned expansion of the building(height and width). Still could be done?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Bumping this post
moderne wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 pm Image

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I have to say I'm a little concerned about the Schultheis character who's planning this. Cherry Hill properties seems to be only involved in budget student housing in Lawrence, so I'm hoping they have something higher quality planned for oak tower. Do we know anything about him?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Is there any image, maybe an old postcard, that gives an idea of the coloration of the old terra cotta? I imagine that sort of ivory color that seems common on old terra cotta.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

moderne wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:32 pm Is there any image, maybe an old postcard, that gives an idea of the coloration of the old terra cotta? I imagine that sort of ivory color that seems common on old terra cotta.
this is the most vivid image of it I've seen so far. One of Dorothea Eldridge's beautiful Kodachrome photos from the 1960s, from the KC History Library site.

https://kchistory.org/image/commerce-bu ... ffset%5D=8

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thank you! I was sure that the color was not discordant with the adjacent limestone clad buildings. That Eldridge photo is a gem, with the Commerce Tower being completed. I did not know there were clock faces in both towers atop 909 Walnlut.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Do I see red lighting or is that just a reflection from City Hall?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

moderne wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:39 pm Do I see red lighting or is that just a reflection from City Hall?
You're not seeing things. They actually have had the top lit up the past few days, just on the south facing side though. I took these the other night. If only the lights were brighter and more widespread, the old lady would stand out at night.