3rd & Grand to be redeveloped as TOD

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: 3rd & Grand to be redeveloped as TOD

Post by kboish »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:53 am shocking I thought all development ever in KC was dead and the city was killing everything?
Did anything change on the developer side? Or did PIEA just change their mind?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

"Major change will guarantee 40% work to prevailing wage (union) contractors. "
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

gotcha. so it wasn't the level of incentive that was the problem. that was largely the way it was portrayed in the media.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:17 pm gotcha. so it wasn't the level of incentive that was the problem. that was largely the way it was portrayed in the media.
I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive...
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

Will this have any impact in hastening the apartments across Grand on the NW corner?
That hole in the ground is just sickening and makes this city look like a bunch of idiot lowlifes.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I imagine this and Ashland will rise at roughly the same time as Flaherty and Collin’s project at 5th and Main. Maybe they start at different times, but three will be under construction at once. Four if 413 Delaware is underway at that time.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:53 am shocking I thought all development ever in KC was dead and the city was killing everything?
This is a nice development but remember, it's on a lot that was probably given to them by the city or at least they got a great deal on being able to develop on one of the highest profile blocks in the city. I'm saying that this should be a pretty easy project given all the incentives and city owned land they are dealing with. And still four people voted against it.

It's great to see it happening along with the development across the street. That will really change the feel of the entire area.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:44 pm
This is a nice development but remember, it's on a lot that was probably given to them by the city or at least they got a great deal on being able to develop on one of the highest profile blocks in the city. I'm saying that this should be a pretty easy project given all the incentives and city owned land they are dealing with. And still four people voted against it.

It's great to see it happening along with the development across the street. That will really change the feel of the entire area.
https://cityscenekc.com/development-age ... ment-plan/
The developer also would have paid $2.4 million for the property to be divided between the city and the KCATA.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Great to see! Really happy for the added density and can't wait to see 3rd Street after it and the Ashland are finished.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

daGOAT wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:02 pm Great to see! Really happy for the added density and can't wait to see 3rd Street after it and the Ashland are finished.
Just need Ascend at 3rd and Oak to rise to complete the 3rd Street transformation on this end of the neighborhood.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Well gee I think we all know why these projects are coming back now lol
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:27 pm
daGOAT wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:02 pm Great to see! Really happy for the added density and can't wait to see 3rd Street after it and the Ashland are finished.
Just need Ascend at 3rd and Oak to rise to complete the 3rd Street transformation on this end of the neighborhood.
Yeah, the scale will be much more impressive along 3rd by 2026 for sure. Hopefully Atlas 303 has a chance to come back as well.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:06 pm
kboish wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:17 pm gotcha. so it wasn't the level of incentive that was the problem. that was largely the way it was portrayed in the media.
PIEA board had a nice sit down with mayors office. Union labor is a big deal for 1 or 2 board members. 40% is extremely easy to hit as some trades are pretty much entirely unionized (developer texted me that in response to this article)
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:52 pm
PIEA board had a nice sit down with mayors office. Union labor is a big deal for 1 or 2 board members. 40% is extremely easy to hit as some trades are pretty much entirely unionized (developer texted me that in response to this article)
How many developments is the PIEA board involved with for approvals? With this knowledge this could definitely help should they be the authority of approval
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Hilarious you think WC had anything to do with this….,
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:51 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:52 pm

How many developments is the PIEA board involved with for approvals? With this knowledge this could definitely help should they be the authority of approval
A quickly dwindling number……. Applications will continue to plummet until developers have certainty they will get approvals.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:26 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:27 pm
Yeah, the scale will be much more impressive along 3rd by 2026 for sure. Hopefully Atlas 303 has a chance to come back as well.
I count three coming back in the last month so far. Ashland, Lane4 West Plaza & now this at 3rd & Grand.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Of those, only 4711 Belleview/Dylan was totally dead. Ashland just got delayed and changed hands. 3rd and Grand never died. Like the Lux Riverfront project, it just had to go through some side process before it could remerge. I believe that the same is happening to Mac's deal at Main and Armour.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:56 pm Of those, only 4711 Belleview/Dylan was totally dead. Ashland just got delayed and changed hands. 3rd and Grand never died. Like the Lux Riverfront project, it just had to go through some side process before it could remerge. I believe that the same is happening to Mac's deal at Main and Armour.
Notice that 2 of 3 are not incentivized and the 3rd is only moving again because they are getting incentives under the pre-ordinance rules