Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
ToDactivist
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by ToDactivist » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:25 pm

shinatoo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:02 pm
There are about 7 afternoon weekday games a year. Attendance is typically between 5-10k for those games. Any uptick in attendance would be from people already working downtown. Non issue.

I doubt the IRS would open their garages, however, since those buildings are unoccupied during baseball season it wouldn't be out of the question. All the other lots are doable.
Agreed I doubt Fed(s) open up their garages. just making a point to avoid a "parking structure". Also agree minimal afternoon home games and gee, how does this work in Denver, as noted? Execs walk. Garages raise rates. Market takes care of itself.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:37 pm

shinatoo wrote:
There are about 7 afternoon weekday games a year. Attendance is typically between 5-10k for those games. Any uptick in attendance would be from people already working downtown. Non issue.

I doubt the IRS would open their garages, however, since those buildings are unoccupied during baseball season it wouldn't be out of the question. All the other lots are doable.
In 2019, 12% of home games were weekday day. They're not going to be heavy attendance games but think of how many people still go then, a couple thousand cars is still a lot of spots to find

You also forget that the places mentioned are also open on weekends. For example, there's parts of Crown Center parking that's used by the hotels too. Union Station is open until midnight and is reasonably well used on weekends.

Best to locate in the east village an people walk 5-6 blocks over from the P&L parking we have in excess and the dramatically under used on street parking in Paseo West. It also doesn't put game day car traffic on Main, one of only a few ways to the site , which will make the streetcar unusable.

ToDactivist
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ToDactivist » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:25 pm

flyingember wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:37 pm
shinatoo wrote:

In 2019, 12% of home games were weekday day. They're not going to be heavy attendance games but think of how many people still go then, a couple thousand cars is still a lot of spots to find

You also forget that the places mentioned are also open on weekends. For example, there's parts of Crown Center parking that's used by the hotels too. Union Station is open until midnight and is reasonably well used on weekends.

Best to locate in the east village an people walk 5-6 blocks over from the P&L parking we have in excess and the dramatically under used on street parking in Paseo West. It also doesn't put game day car traffic on Main, one of only a few ways to the site , which will make the streetcar unusable.
We all have our favorites. Mine is North Loop (stop) but east of Main on ULI-endorsed removal or I-70. Thinkin big but also thinking transit and ingress and amenities and the ballpark site/design mantra...
Plan the Right Capacity for the Market – site criteria article

• Locate Contiguous to Promising Districts
• Take Advantage of Landmarks & Civic Treasures
• Choose a Location Oriented Toward Transit
• Plan with Respect for the Street Grid
• Allow Circulation, Ancillary Uses Outside Footprint
• Orient to Connect with Urban Conditions
• Disperse Parking Off-Site
• Master Plan for Collateral Development
• Plan to Maximize Attendance and Revenue

Rabble
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Rabble » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:44 am

It seems like the two rules, of any open air downtown ballpark, is that it can't face west because of the sun, and it needs a downtown skyline view beyond its outfield fences. The only exceptions I can find is Denver's facing the Rockies, San Fran's facing the bay and Cincinnati's facing the Ohio river. I don't see how a ballpark in either the north loop or the east village can have much of a view without facing the afternoon sun.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Looking at the past 30 years of stadiums I found ten that don't purposefully have a downtown view.

San Francisco, Denver and Cincinnati as you mention

Atlanta doesn't have a view of downtown. It's KC equivalent would be a view of College Blvd

Both stadiums in NYC face away from Manhattan and Brooklyn. Sure, Yankee Stadium faces The Bronx but The Mets stadium doesn't face much of anything

Milawukee doesn't face downtown

DC isn't tall but it's turned away from any major sight there

Arlington is far away from either downtown and there's a giant wall blocking the view

The White Sox faces away from downtown

Rabble
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Rabble » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:53 pm

I'm talking about the ones that are in downtown.

Rabble
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Rabble » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Also, I'm talking about non-retractable roof-open-air-downtown ballparks. I assume when a retractable roof is open you get a view of the sky and the retracted retractable roof.

longviewmo
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by longviewmo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:13 pm

shinatoo wrote:

There's plenty of year-round employees at the IRS. No way those open up.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by shinatoo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:38 am

longviewmo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:13 pm
shinatoo wrote:

There's plenty of year-round employees at the IRS. No way those open up.
I was under the impression the permanent employees were in the tower and they mothballed the warehouses in the off season.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:42 am

The warehouse is a small part of the complex.

Sure, they run lighter on employees but given there's an October 15 deadline from extensions they're going to be doing processing year round

Regardless, there's no chance a government agency would open up their parking garage for the first half of the season. The first home game is late March/early April and the IRS doesn't finish seasonal layoffs until the end of June. They run overnight shifts so they're using the garage during night games.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 pm

The complete ownership group for the royals has some names you'd think would also push for a downtown park including the JE Dunn's, UMB folks,

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by langosta » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:40 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 pm
The complete ownership group for the royals has some names you'd think would also push for a downtown park including the JE Dunn's, UMB folks,
The real surprise though is that the Head of IB at Goldman Sachs is a member.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by WoodDraw » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:46 pm

I wonder if they provided money for the buy and got some equity in the deal and he's their rep, or if it's individual.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by WoodDraw » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
I wonder if je dunn has thoughts on east village?

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by langosta » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:53 pm

langosta wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:40 pm
KCPowercat wrote:
GS would be a great partner to have if you wanted to privately finance a new stadium.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:18 pm

WoodDraw wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 pm
KCPowercat wrote:
I wonder if je dunn has thoughts on east village?
Maybe crossed their mind.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by WoodDraw » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:25 am

From the press conference it sounds like this group will be very open to downtown. Was nice to hear Sherman talk about surrounding urban development too and not just plopping a stadium down somewhere.

normalthings
Penntower
Penntower

Post by normalthings » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:40 pm

langosta wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:40 pm
KCPowercat wrote:
He grew up in Kansas City. Hopefully, he can send a few Goldman jobs out this way someday.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:57 pm

I've heard he is ever more into a downtown park than he is letting on publicly. Makes sense given his Cleveland ownership experience.

normalthings
Penntower
Penntower

Post by normalthings » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:33 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:57 pm
I've heard he is ever more into a downtown park than he is letting on publicly. Makes sense given his Cleveland ownership experience.
A downtown stadium is a lot farther along than is advertised.