Brookridge Golf Redevelopment

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Brookridge Golf Redevelopment

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:From the Biz Journal's article:
Kathryn Geller, who lives near the golf course, spoke for many when she voiced concerns about the noise and traffic congestion the project would create in the residential neighborhoods surrounding the project.

"We're talking about New York-type congestion," she said, contrasting the scope of the project with that of area mixed-use projects such as Park Place or Briarcliff.
:P
Obviously that neighborhood wants more bus service to reduce the traffic.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

flyingember wrote:
pash wrote:From the Biz Journal's article:
Kathryn Geller, who lives near the golf course, spoke for many when she voiced concerns about the noise and traffic congestion the project would create in the residential neighborhoods surrounding the project.

"We're talking about New York-type congestion," she said, contrasting the scope of the project with that of area mixed-use projects such as Park Place or Briarcliff.
:P
Obviously that neighborhood wants more bus service to reduce the traffic.
The Pakistani taxi drivers can't be far behind.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I don't get how they can validate their needs with a straight face.

http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/brookri ... id=5023860

They claim 1/3 of visitors will come from > 100 miles away AND get 3 million visitors per year.
That's 1 million people driving from more than 100 miles away to visit this shopping center.

That's an average of 2747 people driving every single day of the year for 1.5-2 hours. We really know there will be a handful doing this on the weekday so I weighted Saturday as 100x more likely, Friday as 20x more likely and Sunday as 75x more likely, for a weekend trip. That would be almost 10,000 people each Saturday coming a long distance.

I find that to be incredible that they can say it will draw that many people from so far away. Huge rose colored glasses.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

One final hurdle to clear which is acquiring rights-of-way from neighbors and finishing utility work. Groundbreak could begin this fall with first phase (which includes 317 apartments; and 12,596 square feet of first-floor retail) to be completed by summer 2025.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... pment.html

I'm surprised how little attention this development has received. Its one the biggest redevelopment projects in the metro, even bigger than the new KCI terminal in terms of valuation and its in Overland Park no less with its relentless NIMBYISM and anti-development city council. Its dense, walkable and adds further mass that will compliment Corporate Woods and the Sheraton Hotel convention district. Overfall far superior to Asperia and yet hardly a word from the rag.

Overall project stats

Project Value - $2 billion
Hotel rooms - 550 between two buildings
Office space - 2 million sqft
Apartments - 2500 units
Retail space - 350,000 sqft
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

It’s existed for such a long time that it’s hard to build excitement. It’s also a further drain from the core
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:28 pm It’s existed for such a long time that it’s hard to build excitement. It’s also a further drain from the core
Then maybe KC should stop sitting on the fence and build more spec. Its amazing how JC will give out tax breaks to build millions sqft of spec office space but KC can't get its act together to build a modest 200k sqft building (Strata) that would likely have a much easier time leasing. At least its legions better than Cerner's campus. But you still have to give credit, if this were proposed in the Crossroads or Berkley Riverfront it would be a major victory. I consider Brookridge to be a major turning point for JC. The transition to building "in and up" rather than "out and flat".
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

trexel94 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:08 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:28 pm It’s existed for such a long time that it’s hard to build excitement. It’s also a further drain from the core
Then maybe KC should stop sitting on the fence and build more spec. Its amazing how JC will give out tax breaks to build millions sqft of spec office space but KC can't get its act together to build a modest 200k sqft building (Strata) that would likely have a much easier time leasing. At least its legions better than Cerner's campus. But you still have to give credit, if this were proposed in the Crossroads or Berkley Riverfront it would be a major victory. I consider Brookridge to be a major turning point for JC. The transition to building "in and up" rather than "out and flat".
I could be wrong but I think KCMO has given just about as much incentive as they can. There isn't office momentum to get financing
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

In short, I think JoCo has an edge on getting office and KCMO has an edge on getting residential. Both area's should press their advantages.

At this point I'm just resigned to JoCo getting the offices. Our best hope is getting their kids (and any new young residents) to move to the core and live here because they all work remote.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Groundbreak pushed to March 2023. Delayed due to preparing existing infrastructure for the project. Regardless, they're under legal obligation to finish the first phase by July 2025.

- Will include a 10 story apartment building and it will be OP's first residential tower.

https://www.constructionjournal.com/pro ... efea9.html
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Grocery Store part of phase 1.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

mgsports wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:36 pm Grocery Store part of phase 1.
Likely won't be a big box grocer as Hy Vee and Walmart are close by and not much parking is provided. I'm guessing (hoping) a specialty higher end brand? Would be a good spot for a Dean & Deluca.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

trexel94 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:01 pm
mgsports wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:36 pm Grocery Store part of phase 1.
Likely won't be a big box grocer as Hy Vee and Walmart are close by and not much parking is provided. I'm guessing (hoping) a specialty higher end brand? Would be a good spot for a Dean & Deluca.
Isn't Dean & Deluca dead? I mean we had one in Leawood that went out with the majority of the chain.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Winco? Amazon? Apple or Green Market? Ramey Price Cutter? Gerbes? Thriftway? Crest? Reasors? Others near by not in area.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Construction is finally underway, starting with site work along with upgrading and expanding existing infrastructure.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... urtin.html

Millions in square footage of speculative office space in the works for Brookridge and yet not one office tower for downtown KC, not even a proposal. Regardless, it’s a step in the right direction for OP. Density, redevelopment and quality multi family housing.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Better have Retail wanting to come to it.