Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by msmith011 »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:33 am Have to think the Plaza Starbucks closure is more due to their preference for drive-thrus than the unionization efforts, as I believe the (still open) location at 41st and Main unionized earlier.

Agree that it's another blow to the Plaza and a great location for a flagship coffeeshop (albeit somewhat small).
I think store size had something to do with it, too. It was way too small for how popular it was. They can do more, better business elsewhere (with a drive-thru).

Realistically, I'd love to see a local coffee shop or cafe go into that space. Otherwise, would love to see that side of the block redeveloped (wishful thinking).
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Seems a sure bet for a local coffee shop. Better yet bring back something like Emile's that thrived at that spot for years.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Store size should have nothing to do with this decision. The location is almost always busy, even given the fact that there are two (smaller) equally busy Messenger Coffee stores and Starbucks in Barnes & Noble within a couple of blocks. They have a pretty sizable seating area, both indoor and on the patio, but for this location it seems most people would be fine getting their purchase to go.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It was 100% because of the unionization efforts. That store is always packed and clearly made money.

On the bright side it didn’t close because the Plaza struggled there. It’s because of something we can’t control. So I’m sure it’ll get filled quickly. It just sucks since that was a great store.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Apparently there was a shooting in the lot behind Starbucks Aug. 14th. This person details the store response in a series of Tweets and references the recent closure.

https://twitter.com/LexieStephen/status ... d4akZkiqnw
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KC Biz Journal is reporting Starbucks tried to unionize, the vote failed to form union, and then they shut store down.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Fountains wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:38 pm
msmith011 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:51 pm Apparently there was a shooting in the lot behind Starbucks Aug. 14th. This person details the store response in a series of Tweets and references the recent closure.

https://twitter.com/LexieStephen/status ... d4akZkiqnw
Yeah there's been a few shootings on the plaza not reported on this summer. I don't believe they really closed because of crime but kudos for them bringing attention to it.
Closing urban stores where employees have reported feeling unsafe is something they CEO of Starbucks himself said they are and will do.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Fountains wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:41 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:47 pm None of the "good", new chains want to come to the urban core. Whataburger, Chik-FilA, Hawaiian Bros, Curvers, etc. If Windsteads wants to stay and have a presence in the heart of the city, we shouldn't be trying to push them out.
Give the town another joint that's 24/7 those have been sorely lacking since the pandemic.
If you've seen the drive thru at Pancho's (or Rancho's now?) on any evening, you see that the demand for fast food in Midtown is super strong. Probably 20 cars long all evening. I understand people on here are supposed to hate drive thrus, but there has to be better options than what we have now.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Agreed that we need more 24 hr food options. I really wasn't keyed into just how much people like Quiktrip food and Quiktrip in general until I moved back here and go on the local reddit. Sure its objectively the cleanest and best run gas station but how much can you really like a gas station? The answer to that I found out is "a lot." Eating the food? guess I'm a bigger snob than I thought...

Quicktrip should do a store in the Crossroads or maybe the plaza after the streetcar opens that is store only, no gas and really leans into the roller grill and kitchen aspect. I fully expect all the heathens in this town would lose their minds for it.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:53 am Agreed that we need more 24 hr food options. I really wasn't keyed into just how much people like Quiktrip food and Quiktrip in general until I moved back here and go on the local reddit. Sure its objectively the cleanest and best run gas station but how much can you really like a gas station? The answer to that I found out is "a lot." Eating the food? guess I'm a bigger snob than I thought...

Quicktrip should do a store in the Crossroads or maybe the plaza after the streetcar opens that is store only, no gas and really leans into the roller grill and kitchen aspect. I fully expect all the heathens in this town would lose their minds for it.
+1 to this idea
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:53 am Agreed that we need more 24 hr food options. I really wasn't keyed into just how much people like Quiktrip food and Quiktrip in general until I moved back here and go on the local reddit. Sure its objectively the cleanest and best run gas station but how much can you really like a gas station? The answer to that I found out is "a lot." Eating the food? guess I'm a bigger snob than I thought...

QT doesn't do pumpless stores
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

ericwyner wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:45 am

They do in Atlanta and are rolling out a new store based on the Amazon Go platform.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:05 am

They do in Atlanta and are rolling out a new store based on the Amazon Go platform.
Atlanta store

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Viewp ... 8967?hl=en
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:20 am

Atlanta store

New QT Trial store in the BOK Bank tower food court in Downtown Tulsa. Would be a good fit in like a Lightwell space.

(Also I love QT food, I mostly stick to the Taquitos but the pretzels are also fire).

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChLC1qeOBoa/?hl=en
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

People just go to QT because there are so few quick options for cheap, fast food.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

At least QT food is maybe a bit less unhealthy relative to fast food chains given not fried and typically lower sodium. Would rather see more indie counter eats in urban core but QT/WaWa options as sidewalk stores would give some variety, especially if open 24 hours.

WaWa is the E Coast QT equivalent and am surprised they have not expanded further west. The 'kitchen' menu is very different than QT (leans more hoagie/panini, Italian influence) so not a lot of overlap (and I prefer their coffee). They can not only co-exist in same market but almost complement each other.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:31 am
Cratedigger wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:20 am

Atlanta store

New QT Trial store in the BOK Bank tower food court in Downtown Tulsa. Would be a good fit in like a Lightwell space.

(Also I love QT food, I mostly stick to the Taquitos but the pretzels are also fire).

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChLC1qeOBoa/?hl=en
Would the old Broadway Quiznos location in Quality Hill make sense? Maybe not enough foot traffic...

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1010429 ... 8192?hl=en
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

WaWa is fantastic and has just as big a cult following on the east coast as QT has here
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:32 am WaWa is fantastic and has just as big a cult following on the east coast as QT has here
Can attest to this, had a buddy in the Army from NJ and the way he talked about WaWa was interchangeable with how midwesterners talk about QT
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

We aren’t opposed to the actual restaurant of Winsteads or mcDonalds. We just want urban format stores instead, not drive thru’s. Especially not in key locations like next to our city’s biggest transit station.

Like the new Taco Bell cantina in Westport. That’s the perfect type of urban format fast food we need.