Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:34 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:02 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:58 am

I don't understand the joke you are trying to make here. People that have been here a while are the ones actually bringing real news to this site
Agree partially. Some newer posters (Chris, DCole, Northpoint guy, Burns & Mac gal, Craig, Myself, etc) to the page too. But yea the poster you reference isn’t a news source. Obviously not everyone can bring news so having conversationalists is great too they just need to be more based.
Pretty confident kcp wasn't thinking about you here.
Yes, I understand. Just don’t want others reading along to think they aren’t important. Alkalei May one day provide great news but he just needs to take it down a few notches right now
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I still don't understand what he even meant by it
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:58 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:38 pm
msmith011 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:22 pm Johnny Was, an upscale women's clothing retailer which describes itself as "luxury boho," has submitted plans for a store at 320 Nichols, a corner space that is/was Matches Boutique. This is a definite win for the Plaza considering they would have fit right in at Town Center Plaza.
Enjoy the incoming hoards from the ‘joined in 2004’ crew coming for you now
I don't understand the joke you are trying to make here. People that have been here a while are the ones actually bringing real news to this site
I think everyone missed this joke lol. Because smith said "this is a definite win for the Plaza" I was saying that joined in 2004 crowd gonna come to destroy him now and try to take him out because he didn't say the Plaza is dying lol
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't get it. Not everybody that's been here awhile has that opinion. Honestly most don't.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:02 pm I don't get it. Not everybody that's been here awhile has that opinion. Honestly most don't.
I'm about to quit Rag anyway. I can't say anything without people trying to take it personal or just attack me for being "a kid", or just being an asshole because they're miserable. I'm just tired of it. Maybe I'll come back again someday when I'm not "a kid" so I don't have to deal with this.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Let’s not hound on people till they leave, we want people that are optimistic to be excited about KC. Alkali I personally hope you stay
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:08 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:02 pm I don't get it. Not everybody that's been here awhile has that opinion. Honestly most don't.
I'm about to quit Rag anyway. I can't say anything without people trying to take it personal or just attack me for being "a kid", or just being an asshole because they're miserable. I'm just tired of it. Maybe I'll come back again someday when I'm not "a kid" so I don't have to deal with this.
Not my intent at all. I also have no idea how old any ody is here j was simply asking what the meaning was. Don't let people chase you off you are a good contributor.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

I’m personally hoping Axel doesn’t take his ball and run home!

Not everybody’s got the maturity for a message board though, where there are different opinions and not everybody agrees with yours 100% of time. It can really be hard.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:22 pm
Not my intent at all. I also have no idea how old any ody is here j was simply asking what the meaning was. Don't let people chase you off you are a good contributor.
It's not you, KCP. You, beautyfromashes, Hugo, DCole, Link, Chris, Crate, earthling, Fang are my favorite posters and have been great. It's just time for me to leave. There are just some people who are overtly rude for little to no reason, and I've put up with it for awhile and can't anymore. Maybe one day I'll come back.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel, you are taking things way too personally. Even for those that may disagree with you I think still respect you. Your optimism is awesome, but you have to realize that KC is still KC and KC is a relatively modest growing, non flashy city. You are not going to see 40 story towers or multi billion dollar stadiums. It still has a very big suburban culture, especially from the business and development community.

But that doesn't mean KC is not a pretty cool city. I think people just know how long it takes and how hard it is to really change and do major developments in KC. All the stuff you dream about is likely to happen, but it's probably going to take a lot longer than you think. Like many decades and you should probably just accept that so you are not ultimately disappointed.

There is nothing wrong with KC progressing slowly and as it does progress, it will continue to make mistakes along the way. The Cerner campus, sporting KC in the boonies are just some recent ones. So it's hard for people like me to really grasp onto the idea of KC properly dealing with the Royals and Chiefs. I envision if they come downtown at all, it will be in a very cheap minor leaguish stadium that will take decades to develop the around.

I wish I could still dream as big as you do but a lot of things would need to fall into place for KC to really take itself to the next level rather than just trying to keep up. For one, it's still basically two small metro areas rather than one big one. The state line will always impact KCMO's ability to compete.

I consider you one of the best posters on this forum though and hopefully you can prove people like me wrong some day. I love KC or I would not be here, but I'm also a realist about things.

As far as this topic, The plaza is not dead, but it's not thriving either. The Plaza and surrounding areas need some changes, but with the ownership of the plaza not having the resources and the city also not having the resources, you just are not gong to see much change and the Plaza will just sort of keep doing what it's doing. Just try to survive by doing as little as possible to modernize it etc. The Plaza needs some pedestrian only corridors. That alone would really do wonders.
Last edited by GRID on Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Derailing this thread but I think auto allowing incentives for urban core projects is a major step towards strong growth that would allow for more of the grand plans.

Need to see more urban jobs and amenities and rail transit. Even with the CM incentives, need to further reduce some of the requirements (affordable, etc). Look at how much apartment stock is getting throw up in JOCO, if KC can capture that we could see Crossroads built out in 1 decade.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^Bingo. But even KCMO residents are adamantly against ideas like that. I have relatives that have lived in areas like Hyde Park for decades and they are against just about every tif that has been proposed.

I argue with them all the time that developers can get TIFs in the suburbs all day long with no questions asked. Think about how that impacts development in KCMO.

I also argue that an urban dense project with incentives in the city's center is way way way better than a project without incentives in the city's suburban northland.

If you handed out massive incentives to properly develop KCMO's urban core, in 20 years would have a thriving self sustained city. But people just do not care. They want to fight everything. So KCMO city hall is fighting against everybody , the KS side, the Northland and even its own urban core residents.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

^They dream of KC becoming Gary, Indiana.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:38 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:22 pm

It's not you, KCP. You, beautyfromashes, Hugo, DCole, Link, Chris, Crate, earthling, Fang are my favorite posters and have been great. It's just time for me to leave. There are just some people who are overtly rude for little to no reason, and I've put up with it for awhile and can't anymore. Maybe one day I'll come back.
I said this exact thing 15 years ago. :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Shocking a neighborhood amenity is a positive thing instead of just tumi bags.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:10 pm Derailing this thread but I think auto allowing incentives for urban core projects is a major step towards strong growth that would allow for more of the grand plans.
Isn't that the new plan from the Mayor?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:08 am
normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:10 pm Derailing this thread but I think auto allowing incentives for urban core projects is a major step towards strong growth that would allow for more of the grand plans.
Isn't that the new plan from the Mayor?
Not yet approved
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Just got back from the Plaza Art Fair. What an excellent event - KC should be proud of hosting that. The Plaza Arts Fair makes one of the strongest arguments for permanently closing off Nichols Road as a pedestrian only street. Obviously, something akin to the art fair is not going to happen every week but it was a pleasure strolling down the street and enjoying the Plaza without being confined to the sidewalk. Such an obvious choice; hard to believe it hasn't happened yet.

Nobody is all that focused on the Plaza's regular venues during the art fair but it was a little dismaying to see the first 6 storefronts on Nichols Road east of Pennsylvania closed down. That said, the Plaza is still a very unique place. I would not think it would be too hard to right the ship with an infusion of capital or even just a different approach to management? It's just too compelling of an urbane environment not to eventually regain its prowess. It would, however, help a great deal when the gaping hole on the west side is resolved. Nordstrom's did not do KC any favors by pulling out.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How could KC start a grass roots effort to convert Nichols Road into a pedestrian promenade (would need to maintain very limited access to vehicles).

This should be a top priority. Too bad nobody reads the KC Star anymore. It would be a great opinion article contribution to get the idea out.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:22 am How could KC start a grass roots effort to convert Nichols Road into a pedestrian promenade (would need to maintain very limited access to vehicles).

This should be a top priority. Too bad nobody reads the KC Star anymore. It would be a great opinion article contribution to get the idea out.
I think asking the star to publish that might kill their last employee.

Is there an urban neighborhood here more NIMBY than the plaza? I think even the more urban moved plaza residents would be against zoning reform.

It's plaza art fair weekend, and I mentioned to someone that they try events like this on a smaller scale to see how it works and they rolled their eyes. The pandemic would have been a great time to workshop it.

I don't know the plaza community well and if there's anyone pushing for change.