Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Metro »

smh wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:55 pm
Metro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:46 pm The Cocina project is AWFUL. Looks like something you would see at 135th & Nall
100%. I'm willing to sacrifice the church building for progress...but that project is awful.
Yeah if they are going to go the tear down route I can't help but think some sort of Bodega/grocery store with some apartments would be the perfect location. Perhaps I'm too cynical but restaurants have a pretty high turnover + the fancy golf thing next store seems really boom or bust. It just seems like in 5 years would could be looking at a pretty empty corner again.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What will probably happen is the church will be demolished for another retail building. Then in a few years, some church will buy and tear down a nearby retail building (like Resurrection Church), and the church will be less inspired than that building. Then a few more years will pass by and the retail building will be demolished. The lesson we will have learned is just to wait for another congregation to take over the church.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

FangKC wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:23 am What will probably happen is the church will be demolished for another retail building. Then in a few years, some church will buy and tear down a nearby retail building (like Resurrection Church), and the church will be less inspired than that building. Then a few more years will pass by and the retail building will be demolished. The lesson we will have learned is just to wait for another congregation to take over the church.

I agree. It would have been done by now but the $$ for this high profile building is very high, as it should be. May take awhile. The Church of the Resurrection (COR) would be a perfect fit and they have the $$.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Jblanco wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:53 am
FangKC wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:23 am What will probably happen is the church will be demolished for another retail building. Then in a few years, some church will buy and tear down a nearby retail building (like Resurrection Church), and the church will be less inspired than that building. Then a few more years will pass by and the retail building will be demolished. The lesson we will have learned is just to wait for another congregation to take over the church.

I agree. It would have been done by now but the $$ for this high profile building is very high, as it should be. May take awhile. The Church of the Resurrection (COR) would be a perfect fit and they have the $$.
They just took over the old Central United Methodist Church a mile or so away. So probably not an option in this case
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:55 pm
Metro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:46 pm The Cocina project is AWFUL. Looks like something you would see at 135th & Nall
100%. I'm willing to sacrifice the church building for progress...but that project is awful.
I completely agree. This is such a prominent spot on the plaza, yet this proposed building has zero aesthetic. And maybe it even has negative aesthetic. There is no architecturally distinguishing characteristic to it. It’s just blank. That alone should get it denied. And now it is seeking incentives??? No way.

If you tear down something like that church, you had better be replacing it with something great. This ain’t it.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Old buildings with even just a little bit of ornament being replaced by just the lamest architecture imaginable is what continues to sustain historic preservation movement. It’s been 78 years since WWII ended, but developers still somehow haven’t figured this out
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Someone at corporate contacted me after complaining about Dillard's in a department store group on Facebook. They're still prepping a proposal for a 3-story 180,000 ft2 store on the Nordstrom site, which will come at the cost of the higher-end lines continuing to be offered at the other three stores in the metro. He said KC has been a weak market for Dillard's overall going back to the acquisition of Macy's KC-KS division in 1986 and that the Plaza owners are making it worth their while to make a return to the center.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

That won’t end well. Dillard’s isn’t healthy and hasn’t adapted well to the new retail environment. It’ll be empty again in less than 10 years.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:04 am That won’t end well. Dillard’s isn’t healthy and hasn’t adapted well to the new retail environment. It’ll be empty again in less than 10 years.
I hate to have to agree with this. I think my ideal would be a mixed use apartment/retail Halls reboot. Doesn’t have the larger name recognition, but would be nicer than a Dillards and maybe even compete with the original Nordstrom from a product standpoint.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Halls is in even worse shape than Dillard's, and continues to have zero online presence. If they were to close their Crown Center location (which I doubt they'll do since Hallmark traffic is still such a huge driver of traffic and sales) for a Plaza location and figure out online sales then it might work. But one Hallmark subsidiary synergizing with shipping/receiving/storage costs from the parent company while being located in another subsidiary (Crown Center) offers a lot of financial benefits that probably outweigh a move to the Plaza where the managing company doesn't seem to care about subsidies or rent discounts.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kcjak wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:23 am Halls is in even worse shape than Dillard's, and continues to have zero online presence. If they were to close their Crown Center location (which I doubt they'll do since Hallmark traffic is still such a huge driver of traffic and sales) for a Plaza location and figure out online sales then it might work. But one Hallmark subsidiary synergizing with shipping/receiving/storage costs from the parent company while being located in another subsidiary (Crown Center) offers a lot of financial benefits that probably outweigh a move to the Plaza where the managing company doesn't seem to care about subsidies or rent discounts.
I’m sure Dillards isn’t going to pay top rent or fund their buildout. They’re supposed to be an anchor tenant. Halls with the same fluffy deal could do alright and the money would actually stay local. Pair it with a flagship Hallmark store and some dinning/coffee and it’s do great.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Whatever they do with the retail portion, please design the building so that it can be subdivided if Dillards fails at that location. I still think they need to add residential to the project there.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:08 pm Whatever they do with the retail portion, please design the building so that it can be subdivided if Dillards fails at that location. I still think they need to add residential to the project there.
Dillards is a terrible idea.

A grocery store would be better. Get Sprouts in here
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Amazing how the plaza continues to get it wrong
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

A single use department store building with no residential component is just going to be future fodder for the wrecking ball.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

A grocer and/or an upscale gym like Life Time with apartments above would be a home run. Although this example is an indoor mall, Southdale Center in suburban Minneapolis built a multi-story Life Time "country club" with gym, pool, etc. where a department store once was and it's been a huge home run. Now they're even building a connected LifeTime Living apartment tower. The center was basically on life support for years and now they're building a massive luxury wing. I do think something like this could work for the Plaza.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

msmith011 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:23 pm A grocer and/or an upscale gym like Life Time with apartments above would be a home run. Although this example is an indoor mall, Southdale Center in suburban Minneapolis built a multi-story Life Time "country club" with gym, pool, etc. where a department store once was and it's been a huge home run. Now they're even building a connected LifeTime Living apartment tower. The center was basically on life support for years and now they're building a massive luxury wing. I do think something like this could work for the Plaza.
Pretty similar to the Jack Henry Building + Condo Tower
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

empires228 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:24 am Someone at corporate contacted me after complaining about Dillard's in a department store group on Facebook. They're still prepping a proposal for a 3-story 180,000 ft2 store on the Nordstrom site, which will come at the cost of the higher-end lines continuing to be offered at the other three stores in the metro. He said KC has been a weak market for Dillard's overall going back to the acquisition of Macy's KC-KS division in 1986 and that the Plaza owners are making it worth their while to make a return to the center.
The fact that we are begging a mediocre, dying big box retailer to occupy the vacant lot tells you everything you need to know about the current state of affairs on the Plaza.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

MidtownCat wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:48 am
empires228 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:24 am Someone at corporate contacted me after complaining about Dillard's in a department store group on Facebook. They're still prepping a proposal for a 3-story 180,000 ft2 store on the Nordstrom site, which will come at the cost of the higher-end lines continuing to be offered at the other three stores in the metro. He said KC has been a weak market for Dillard's overall going back to the acquisition of Macy's KC-KS division in 1986 and that the Plaza owners are making it worth their while to make a return to the center.
The fact that we are begging a mediocre, dying big box retailer to occupy the vacant lot tells you everything you need to know about the current state of affairs on the Plaza.
or retail in general
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

BUILD A GROCERY STORE