Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chrizow »

i agree with trailerkid. if Hall's cant move their designer stuff, i'd say it's their fault. i really dont think all that many people are even AWARE that Hall's has prada and diesel and the like, since they barely advertise and only have small window displays (and the glass on most windows is tinted!)

i highly doubt Prada would ever open a store here, but Diesel and Louis Vuitton have stores in some relatively unlikely places. LV would absolutely do well since it appeals to so many age groups. Diesel as well. Prada is probably a little too trendy and high-end, but still...if the Plaza could land these places, i really think people would come from miles around (as many already do) to go to them.

Jayhawk - i dont doubt that many, if not most of the people on the plaza are wearing Chiefs coats and would never buy Diesel jeans and the like...but that's basically true for almost anywhere those stores are. Cherry Creek Mall in Denver has a Diesel store and it's not like the general shopper in Denver is much more trendy or stylish (Broncos coats are at LEAST as ubiquitous there, heheh). those places operate on such high margins anyway that they make up for the relatively low volume.

plus, if KC keeps getting all these "educated young hip people" that we keep exclaiming about on here, those retailers have only more reason to open stores here. too bad lameass highwoods probably isn't even aware of Diesel (or whatever). they are probably too busy trying to get freakin' Fashion Bug to locate on the Plaza.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by QueSi2Opie »

chrizow wrote:Louis Vuitton have stores in some relatively unlikely places.
Columbus, Birmingham, New Orleans, etc.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

Eddie Bauer announced the locations of their 29 store closings and the Plaza location is not on the list. We might have to wait until the entire chain goes under...probably not too far away.

FAO will still be a very interesting spot to watch. Hopefully, Highwoods will have better luck finding a replacement than they did with Sun and Ski.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chrizow »

yeah, i am thinking of this FAO site as a good "benchmark" to see how capable Highwoods really are. we've noted their questionable decisions in the past, but i say let's see what they put in this prime location. if it's something i can get in johnson county already, i will be very very angry.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

My top pics for FAO would be Club Monaco, Sephora, Tommy Hilfiger, Urban Outfitters (own Anthropologie already on the Plaza), Diesel, or Apple Store. These are all bigger format stores that would probably take up most or the entire space. I could also see them splitting it up into several smaller spaces.

I'd actually like to see that new store Standard @ TCP in Leawood open on the Plaza. It's got the whole West Coast, Cali boutique thing going on, but is a local original.

I just think the Plaza seems so "old money" that stores catering to the older well-to-do fit a lot better than the younger trendy stuff. More Chanel and Gucci than Diesel. How many "hipsters" are hanging on the Plaza?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by FangKC »

Perhaps they should open a place that sells designer orthopedic shoes, support hose, adult diapers, heating pads, canes, and walkers. :P :lol:
There is no fifth destination.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Can we email Highwoods and give them our "wish list" and their response to the items listed?
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by TheDude »

Jhawk--they dont care. Highwoods is a publically traded company w/ HQ in North Carolina. Cash flow proformas and a positive bottom line is all that matters. As long as these national dog-food chains are willing to pay outrageous rents to sell their crappy food to tourists, they will continue to fill the vacancies.

go hawks--whuup the buffs.
"ALWAYS be closing"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

Marmi Shoes to open in March....any comments? I don't know anything about this retailer.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

Good tenant...pretty selective....only goes to high-end malls...ie. Scottsdale Fashion Center, Lenox Square in Atlanta, King of Prussia and StL Galleria. It's based in StL will be a good for the 30+ country club wives.

Is it going in next to Abercrombie or where?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

not sure on the location.

UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by UMKCgal »

I was at the Plaza on Christmas Eve, if I could remember correctly I think it's like out by that one Houston restaurant?? not really sure, but it'll be good for 30+ country club wives??? Is there ever gonna b anything for the young and hip/trendy crowd? a lot of the stuff thats catered towards the younger hip crowd, I could already find at Oak Park. I think we need some change sooner or later.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

I agree that we need more younger/hipper things in town but c'mon, it's the Plaza! The women in fur coats are still the ones putting most of the cash in the registers. That crowd can only get so hip or trendy. From what I've seen Midtown, the Crossroads or Union Hill near downtown are the new main centers for hip or trendy retail.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

I noticed that when George Brett Grille opened up, they said that Fedora 210 would remain open only for private parties until the end of the year and then Highwoods would reclaim the property. Is 210 gone now...any sign of what will go in that space?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

Does anyone know anything about the Sun & Ski location? I realize it is a very odd type of space in a somewhat odd location next to a theater, but something needs to happen. With FAO and Anteks gone, there are going to be quite a few high profile vacant spots.

I would recommend Hennes and Mauritz (H&M) for the Sun and Ski spot. For anyone not in the know, H&M is basically a Swedish fashion version of IKEA. They are on top of the "cutting edge" designer fashions with very affordable prices. A web site mentions them as having a "Gucci-inspired paisley printed skirt for $9."

When they opened in New York in 2000 they had a line around the block complete with a velvet rope (Remember, this is NY!!!). They are self-described as only locating in the best shopping districts (ding! ding!). Because they are European, multi-level stores are pretty much common place matching up well with the former Sun and Ski location. The closest store is in Chicago and store sizes range depending on the number of departments offered in the store.

Here are some pics from the NY flagship to give a feel of what kind of retail they could bring to the Plaza:
KCforumer

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCforumer »

We need a Neiman Marcus location.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Barney's would be nice for The Plaza. Nieman-Marcus usually tries to have stores of 150,000+ square feet. Would there be room in The Plaza to accomodate that?
The Plaza would be the ideal location, I think. But I would be willing to bet if they ever come to KC they will look at JOCO like Nordstroms did.
I bet they will be here within five years, one place or the other.
It will give KC that touch of "Dallas" :-)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

a touch of Dallas? Please God no.

KCforumer

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCforumer »

GuyInLenexa wrote:Nieman-Marcus usually tries to have stores of 150,000+ square feet. Would there be room in The Plaza to accomodate that?
The Plaza would be the ideal location, I think. But I would be willing to bet if they ever come to KC they will look at JOCO like Nordstroms did.
I bet they will be here within five years, one place or the other.
It will give KC that touch of "Dallas" :-)
Yes, I know the Plaza doesn't currently have the space for NM, but what could be done about that? How could we expand the Plaza's retail square-footage without damaging the atmosphere with crappy or faux architecture?
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by UMKCgal »

I've heard about H&M, never been to any of them....but since I'm such a fashion freak I would luv to see that here!!!!! Neiman-Marcus is nice too..whats wrong w/having a touch of Dallas here in KC? Its been forever since I've been to Dallas so I don't really remember much about that city (poor memory, lol) but from what I hear f/people that's been there within the past year or 2, its a big vibrant city w/bustlin streets and highways all day, lots of upscale shopping, and downtown thats alive. I'm assuming there pop. is pretty dense...I thought thats what we wanted here in KC.