Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:20 pm The plaza can easily get a breath of fresh air with the streetcar stop. It's up to them to take hold of that opportunity. Much like a feel RM has taken advantage.
Which is why I don't understand why there's been no RFP's or idea's flaoting around for that Winsteads plot.

Look, I love that Winsteads, but we'd have to be out our minds if we think the adjacent area to the biggest transit station in the metro is a fast food joint & surface lot. Where are the residential proposals?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:41 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:20 pm The plaza can easily get a breath of fresh air with the streetcar stop. It's up to them to take hold of that opportunity. Much like a feel RM has taken advantage.
Which is why I don't understand why there's been no RFP's or idea's flaoting around for that Winsteads plot.

Look, I love that Winsteads, but we'd have to be out our minds if we think the adjacent area to the biggest transit station in the metro is a fast food joint & surface lot. Where are the residential proposals?
Winsteads would have to be willing to sell for an RFP to go out. I think the focus for now should be getting the owners of those vacant lots north of the Plaza to either build or sell, getting something done where Holiday Inn used to be, 47th and Madison built, and getting the tennis courts built on. Those would certainly help and be transformational before Winsteads gets dealt with.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:11 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:41 pm

Winsteads would have to be willing to sell for an RFP to go out. I think the focus for now should be getting the owners of those vacant lots north of the Plaza to either build or sell, getting something done where Holiday Inn used to be, 47th and Madison built, and getting the tennis courts built on. Those would certainly help and be transformational before Winsteads gets dealt with.
And I support all that as well, of course. Among those I think the tennis court should be top priority. But as all of this is getting built up, it will make the Winsteads property look even more silly. Would also be nice because it eliminates another drive-thru and car magnet.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't know how much longer Winsteads will survive. They could move to a pad site over around 47th and Troost.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:35 pm I don't know how much longer Winsteads will survive. They could move to a pad site over around 47th and Troost.
They are always busy and I think they just went through some restructuring. Not sure why they wouldn't survive.

I've got too many memories to ever support moving them without their consent. For many of us, Winsted's and that location are iconic Kansas City.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The city and ATA own most of the land I think you all are talking about. Winsteads only owns where their drive starts
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Yeah, let's not get rid of Winstead's. We have enough chains going into the Plaza, can't we keep at least something local nearby?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

You've got to be kidding yourselves if you think we should leave a drive-thru behind the biggest transit station in the metro
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:35 pm You've got to be kidding yourselves if you think we should leave a drive-thru behind the biggest transit station in the metro
I will be 100% fine with it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:38 pm The city and ATA own most of the land I think you all are talking about. Winsteads only owns where their drive starts
Iirc, CCROW can not be built on
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Starbucks on the Plaza is permanently closing......

This is to stop the union efforts. Crazy because this may have been the most popular store on the Plaza. Jeez. This is actually a huge blow.

https://fox4kc.com/business/starbucks-l ... rmanently/
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

You beat me too it by seconds and I had to delete my post lol. It has to be because of the unionization efforts.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

empires228 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:19 pm You beat me too it by seconds and I had to delete my post lol. It has to be because of the unionization efforts.
I didn't put much thought into losing the others store in recent years. But this one is really bad. It's on a prime corner and is always bringing in lots of traffic. It's prob most popular store in Plaza. Especially with younger people & students.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

None of the "good", new chains want to come to the urban core. Whataburger, Chik-FilA, Hawaiian Bros, Curvers, etc. If Windsteads wants to stay and have a presence in the heart of the city, we shouldn't be trying to push them out.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:18 pm Starbucks on the Plaza is permanently closing......

This is to stop the union efforts. Crazy because this may have been the most popular store on the Plaza. Jeez. This is actually a huge blow.

https://fox4kc.com/business/starbucks-l ... rmanently/
how much did they have left on the lease?
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:47 pm None of the "good", new chains want to come to the urban core. Whataburger, Chik-FilA, Hawaiian Bros, Curvers, etc. If Windsteads wants to stay and have a presence in the heart of the city, we shouldn't be trying to push them out.
don't those chains want a drive thru?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:47 pm None of the "good", new chains want to come to the urban core. Whataburger, Chik-FilA, Hawaiian Bros, Curvers, etc. If Windsteads wants to stay and have a presence in the heart of the city, we shouldn't be trying to push them out.
Because they all want drive thru's

Chipotle, Planet Sub, & Pickleman's put urban format chains downtown. We need more of that, less setups like Winsteads.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Planet Sub in Waldo is closing. Not really surprised. During lunch, there would only be a handful of people in there and I think their quality was hit and miss. They should move over to Wornall where they would be more visible.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Have to think the Plaza Starbucks closure is more due to their preference for drive-thrus than the unionization efforts, as I believe the (still open) location at 41st and Main unionized earlier.

Agree that it's another blow to the Plaza and a great location for a flagship coffeeshop (albeit somewhat small).
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Those places can stay the hell out of RM to Plaza Corridor, and off Wornall to the south for that matter. I already deal with damn Andy's and Quiktrip lunatics doing their damnest to run me over. Pad site car magnets not welcome in Midtown.