Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by UMKCroo »

I dont know if this has been mentioned, but what is going into the FAO Schwarz store? I think H&M would be an incredible fit, however, most of the H&M's i have been to have been huge, multi-level, i dont know if that location could full-fill their space requirements. So any one know anything about that vacancy?
GO ROOs!!!!!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by tat2kc »

I want a Sephora!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

H&M goes very big to pretty small. Of course, they have the massive NYC Fifth Avenue store, but also have a 9,000 sq. foot store(the size of an Abercrombie & Fitch) at upscale Northbrook in Chicago. It all just depends on the number of departments (kids, women, mens, etc.). For those of you watching the big city "chain wars," an H&M would be a massive coup for the Plaza. They might be common on the East Coast, but have yet to venture past a few stores in Chicago. KC would be on the retail map as the first store outside East Coast/Chicago.

The Plaza had some huge spaces with Sears and Macy's. From what I can find, the current Cinemark and its attached retail used to be a Sears and Macy's was located where Pottery Barn and Barnes & Noble currently are. I think it would be cool to expand the Plaza more, but I am not sure about the need to have Nordstrom, Neiman's, Barney's or Lord & Taylor down there. I would rather see Hall's expand and renovate their store more to become the crown jewel of retail in the midwest-- a world famous institution.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by kcmajik »

UMKCgal wrote:I've heard about H&M, never been to any of them....but since I'm such a fashion freak I would luv to see that here!!!!! Neiman-Marcus is nice too..whats wrong w/having a touch of Dallas here in KC? Its been forever since I've been to Dallas so I don't really remember much about that city (poor memory, lol) but from what I hear f/people that's been there within the past year or 2, its a big vibrant city w/bustlin streets and highways all day, lots of upscale shopping, and downtown thats alive. I'm assuming there pop. is pretty dense...I thought thats what we wanted here in KC.
i think it depends on what part of dallas you're talking about. the suburban part of dallas which would be like our Northland is an unGodly nightmare. but downtown is like what you said very vibrant and fun- like the west end. i don't know how neiman's would go over in KC...i really don't. if the one in st. louis is doing fine i don't see how there couldn't be enough bodies in KC to hold one.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

Marmi Shoes is going in the ex-Laura Ashley spot and will open in March.
KCDevin

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCDevin »

when will there be more retail/resteraunt/office highrises put in...? I'd like more than just 4646 proposed ;)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

Joyce Smith speculated that upscale kitchen store Sur La Table, and Dean & Deluca are both in negotiations with Highwoods. Eddie Bauer's vacated portion of their store will house an addition 5,000 sq. foot spot in addition to the Tiffany spot on the corner.

Open: Marmi
Coming soon: Apple, Tiffany & Co.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by paisstat »

H&M is the coolest store. I've been to the Chicago location, which is on Michigan Ave. as well as the two in New York. They are awesome stores and the prices are cheap. It would go great on the Plaza. It would be great if the city would take the initiative to build more around the Plaza. More buildings could be built north of the Plaza, mixing retail and housing. I'm sure Highwoods wouldn't like this, but wouldn't it be nice if we had several more blocks like the Plaza? It really is an urban gem and i would like to see the style continued throughout the city, which would make KC much more urban and trendy.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chrizow »

H+M rules. i am surprised they are not really aggressive in their expansion into new markets. they are sitting on an absolute gold mine.

H+M has great, hip clothes at Old Navy prices. it's incredible. i think H+M is the Gap of the next 25 years - e.g. a store for Everyone. since Gap has sucked royally since about 1996, i eagerly await an H+M on the plaza.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

Is the Plaza on something of a roll?
--Apple
--Tiffany & Co.
--Marmi Shoes
--Brio Tuscan Grille (good sign: only StL location is at uppity Frontenac)
--Hudson and Jane (Polo change to new local boutique)

Maybes...
--Dean & Deluca
--Sur la Table

Still on the wishlist...
--Louis Vitton
--Diesel
--H&M
--Sephora

It's important the Plaza continues to stay the top dog, not only in KC, but in the region. Stuff like Pottery Barn, Cheesecake Factory, Coach, P.F. Chang's, etc. are in/coming to Des Moines, Omaha, Tulsa. They used to be Plaza calling cards, but now they are everywhere. It is imperative the Plaza maintains its edge as the Midwest's finest shopping and dining corridor.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

It's important the Plaza continues to stay the top dog, not only in KC, but in the region. Stuff like Pottery Barn, Cheesecake Factory, Coach, P.F. Chang's, etc. are in/coming to Des Moines, Omaha, Tulsa. They used to be Plaza calling cards, but now they are everywhere. It is imperative the Plaza maintains its edge as the Midwest's finest shopping and dining corridor.
Agree big time....pulling in everyday chains will do nothing for the Plaza...must maintain high standards that are even hard to find in bigger cities like STL.

I hate to see the Polo store go because it was a sort of status symbol but I'll never argue with a local boutique style store.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:
Agree big time....pulling in everyday chains will do nothing for the Plaza...must maintain high standards that are even hard to find in bigger cities like STL.

I hate to see the Polo store go because it was a sort of status symbol but I'll never argue with a local boutique style store.
And I'm not even talking about always having everything be "luxury" stores. Of course, you wouldn't want Target, but I think uniqueness is the most important...stuff you can't find at any mall in any city. But it is important to bring in some stuff that KC people like from seeing it in other cities (Apple, Louis Vitton, etc.).
KCforumer

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCforumer »

Brio Tuscan Grille must be a more upscale version of BRAVO!, which there are already two of in the metro, Leawood and Zona Rosa.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

forumer....it's a different brand by the BRAVO company....kind of like Banana republic instead of Old Navy...same company, different idea.

UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by UMKCgal »

I don't like to see chains at the plaza either..thats gonna do no good to them, but really though i still think they should bring in luxury stores just because that area is old world charm, armani-versace-gucci-prada-d&g-H&m all go well into that. Too bad there aren't enough people here to support it :( i know i definitely can't. but i am excited to see the apple store coming. :D
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

From Joyce Smith's column...
[quote]Not stationery or stationary

Crane & Co. Inc. has closed its Country Club Plaza stationery store at 446 W. 47th St. after less than four years. Company officials declined to comment on the closing.

The location sits back from the sidewalk a bit and was somewhat hidden. But its replacement plans a much higher profile.

A Segway Experience store will open there in mid-July. Segways are “human transport devices,â€
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KC0KEK »

Security at the Corinth shopping center in PV uses Segways. Any other companies or cities around here use them?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC0KEK wrote:Security at the Corinth shopping center in PV uses Segways. Any other companies or cities around here use them?
The Plaza security, the Argus Health Systems security in downtown, etc.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

Ann Taylor Loft in place of FAO Swartz? Ladies? I think this move BLOWS.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chrizow »

seriously? ann taylor loft?

ann taylor loft is a decent tenant for the Plaza, but NOT in such a high profile space! jackasses! :evil: