Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by daGOAT »

FangKC wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:08 am Whatever gets built on the vacant lot the architects need to design some eye candy for the T intersection. When you have a terminating sightline like this, you need something extraordinary.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0413475 ... 384!8i8192

Examples of good T intersections.
'
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1034212 ... 384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.102891 ... 384!8i8192
The T intersection on 9th and Baltimore is iconic.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:04 pm Here is West Street in Annapolis

Weekends:
They should invest in better tables and chairs, I'd be pretty bummed to sit in event seating for a nice meal.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:54 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:04 pm Here is West Street in Annapolis

Weekends:
They should invest in better tables and chairs, I'd be pretty bummed to sit in event seating for a nice meal.
We should wish we could complain about such things.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The parking discussion in this city is frankly ridiculous. What the hell. I hope the CCP loses this case and it sets a precedent for the future

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... uit.html
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:18 pm The parking discussion in this city is frankly ridiculous. What the hell. I hope the CCP loses this case and it sets a precedent for the future

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... uit.html
What the hell. Is there not a giant parking structure across the street?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It's proprietary.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I saw somewhere that JC Nichols Co. had ownership in much of the local Plaza retail businesses back in the day. Anyone know more about this? It would definitely explain "the good old days" of the Plaza many remember.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:00 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:50 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:01 pm

CPC unanimously denied this after 2 hours of heated opposition talk.
Is it required to get their approval to move this project forward?
I think a super majority of the council might be able to approve it. Not 100% sure
Unfortunately it looks like this project has now been scaled back to 3 stories. Basically a generic retail/restaurant pad site worthy of any suburb. Landing in the Plaza, thanks to opposition. Our inability to get vertical in this CITY is sickening.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If they are just gong to build a generic three story retail box (especially when 1/3 of the plaza's retail is vacant or underutilized) , then they may as well just leave the church. That is a prime location for something dense.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:28 pm That is a prime location for something dense.
Try telling that to the neighborhood.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

I just posted about this in the Oak Park thread, but the employees at both Dillard’s wouldn’t confirm or deny that the reason that they’re on a fast track to combine the two Oak Park stores and are eliminating a lot of the nicer merchandise at the woman’s store is to prepare for a new location at the Plaza. I did get a wink when I asked, though. Shame that even Tulsa has a nicer mall than we do!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

im2kull wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:41 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:00 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:50 pm Is it required to get their approval to move this project forward?
I think a super majority of the council might be able to approve it. Not 100% sure
Unfortunately it looks like this project has now been scaled back to 3 stories. Basically a generic retail/restaurant pad site worthy of any suburb. Landing in the Plaza, thanks to opposition. Our inability to get vertical in this CITY is sickening.
Gross

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... hbors.html

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I can't see the city approving this. I appreciate Drake's commitment to want to do something here, but they're spending a lot of time, money, and effort to get something approved here that has slim chance of ever being so.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:28 pm If they are just gong to build a generic three story retail box (especially when 1/3 of the plaza's retail is vacant or underutilized) , then they may as well just leave the church. That is a prime location for something dense.
There could be worse things than leaving the church there. I've seen some pretty nice church-to-restaurant restorations and this one would be especially nice because the of the aesthetic qualities of the building. I would suspect heating and AC in the tall sanctuary would be the biggest challenge.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:57 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:28 pm If they are just gong to build a generic three story retail box (especially when 1/3 of the plaza's retail is vacant or underutilized) , then they may as well just leave the church. That is a prime location for something dense.
There could be worse things than leaving the church there. I've seen some pretty nice church-to-restaurant restorations and this one would be especially nice because the of the aesthetic qualities of the building. I would suspect heating and AC in the tall sanctuary would be the biggest challenge.
It would be cool to see the church re-purposed like that, but I would think just leaving it a functioning church would be better than replacing it with that box.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Would love to see the church repurposed & or use the basic structure and build up around it for the site to create something unique. Would love a big food Hall type of thing. Similar to the one in Nashville at the Northend of Broadway
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

All will be forgiven for Dillard's, if having a larger department store means additional luxury stores (LV, Gucci) along Nichols Road. I know most of us will never buy/step foot in places that sell $2000 sweaters, but it's still an economic draw for the City to have some big label shopping for folks from out of town.
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:58 pm Would love to see the church repurposed & or use the basic structure and build up around it for the site to create something unique. Would love a big food Hall type of thing. Similar to the one in Nashville at the Northend of Broadway
Eataly combined with additional retail should have replaced Nordstrom when that deal fell apart.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:07 pm All will be forgiven for Dillard's, if having a larger department store means additional luxury stores (LV, Gucci) along Nichols Road. I know most of us will never buy/step foot in places that sell $2000 sweaters, but it's still an economic draw for the City to have some big label shopping for folks from out of town.
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:58 pm Would love to see the church repurposed & or use the basic structure and build up around it for the site to create something unique. Would love a big food Hall type of thing. Similar to the one in Nashville at the Northend of Broadway
Eataly combined with additional retail should have replaced Nordstrom when that deal fell apart.
Yeah, okay, they don't even have an Eataly in DC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:31 am
trailerkid wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:07 pm All will be forgiven for Dillard's, if having a larger department store means additional luxury stores (LV, Gucci) along Nichols Road. I know most of us will never buy/step foot in places that sell $2000 sweaters, but it's still an economic draw for the City to have some big label shopping for folks from out of town.
That is the point.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:56 am
GRID wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:31 am

That is the point.
My point is there is zero chance of them coming to KC. We have to go to the one in NYC. I have been to them in Italy too. I don't see KC being a large enough city to support a store like that. I mean the plaza can't even get Nordstrom's and I doubt Dillard's will happen. Pass by a gate at any airport with a flight going to KC an half the people look like they are going to a sporting event. So, maybe another rally house lol.

The people that run the plaza are lost. The plaza needs more density in its core. It needs more entertainment, outside dining, social areas. It's needs less pavement for cars and parked cars and more for pedestrians, cafes etc.

The design of the plaza is really out of date and out of touch with modern urban walkable areas. Till they fix that, it will struggle to remain relevant.
Last edited by GRID on Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.