Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:01 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:06 pm CPC staff recommending denial of Cocina 47 but approval of BOK in the Crossroads lolololololololololo
CPC unanimously denied this after 2 hours of heated opposition talk.
Is it required to get their approval to move this project forward?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:50 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:01 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:06 pm CPC staff recommending denial of Cocina 47 but approval of BOK in the Crossroads lolololololololololo
CPC unanimously denied this after 2 hours of heated opposition talk.
Is it required to get their approval to move this project forward?
I think a super majority of the council might be able to approve it. Not 100% sure
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC has become way to emotional of a city. Nothing is done there that is in the best interest of the city but only whatever it takes to please people's emotions and feelings about stuff. Just like how so many were to emotionally tied to KCI for some reason and the same will happen with the stadium debates.

But yeah, it really seems like urban growth in KC has sort of ground to a halt relative to most metro areas right now. I hope it corrects itself. One tower crane downtown when most cities still can't build apartment buildings fast enough.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I will say, the developer failed with the renderings. They do not look good. Could be a really great building but you can not tell because of the cheap renderings. He needed to spend a little money to get something attractive or photorealistic in front of the CPC
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:02 pm KC has become way to emotional of a city. Nothing is done there that is in the best interest of the city but only whatever it takes to please people's emotions and feelings about stuff. Just like how so many were to emotionally tied to KCI for some reason and the same will happen with the stadium debates.

But yeah, it really seems like urban growth in KC has sort of ground to a halt relative to most metro areas right now. I hope it corrects itself. One tower crane downtown when most cities still can't build apartment buildings fast enough.
Because things are starting to change too fast for the oldies that have been here since the 80's and they can't handle it, so now they're trying to kill all new development. "New airport, new stadiums, new streetcar, new loop cap....argghhhh make it stop!!"

I think people are starting to concede on the Royals but holding firm on the Chiefs
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:11 pm I will say, the developer failed with the renderings. They do not look good. Could be a really great building but you can not tell because of the cheap renderings. He needed to spend a little money to get something attractive or photorealistic in front of the CPC
Do you actually believe that? Come on. I don't see anything ever being proposed on that site that will be welcomed by all the same people that were against this. If you are gong to replace it with just a 2-3 story box of restaurants, then you may as well just leave the little barely used very unremarkable church there and move on.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

GRID wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:22 pm
Do you actually believe that? Come on. I don't see anything ever being proposed on that site that will be welcomed by all the same people that were against this. If you are gong to replace it with just a 2-3 story box of restaurants, then you may as well just leave the little barely used very unremarkable church there and move on.
I think the church is very charming. Even in that high traffic location.

I think the 46 Penn Centre people must raging against this. They just finish building and a year later a project comes along and blocks much of their southern view.
Last edited by Karambit25 on Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^Who gives a rats ass about the view? This is a city. Views can, and should, change.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The contrast between the church building and the office building is interesting and elevates the average/mediocre architecture of both. Honestly I’m rooting for the church at this point cause kc doesn’t really have a weird visual like that anywhere else
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Goonies wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:07 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:02 pm The contrast between the church building and the office building is interesting and elevates the average/mediocre architecture of both. Honestly I’m rooting for the church at this point cause kc doesn’t really have a weird visual like that anywhere else
I mean 6 floors for 6 people seems a bit ridiculous
That's a ridiculous, and stupid, statement.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Goonies wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:50 am
im2kull wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:11 am
Goonies wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:07 pm

I mean 6 floors for 6 people seems a bit ridiculous
That's a ridiculous, and stupid, statement.

You must have been the developer. Sorry your shitty project got denied
It's not a "6 floors for 6 people" proposal.

It adds density no matter how you look at it, and how anti-progress you are.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

It was a solid project. Would 100 units be even more solid? ...Hell yeah! But I don't think City Hall has what it takes to make it happen.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:02 pm The contrast between the church building and the office building is interesting and elevates the average/mediocre architecture of both. Honestly I’m rooting for the church at this point cause kc doesn’t really have a weird visual like that anywhere else
Agreed. I think it adds character to the area.

There’s plenty of other lots in the area that this project could be developed on. For instance, along Jefferson street. Then they could still take advantage of being near their Jack Henry development
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Stucco.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

In the meantime most of what I’m seeing on social media lines up with my opinion that the church should be converted to another use rather than demolished. A dense mixed use project is better suited behind the Sharaton or on the Nordstrom site. Heck, demolish the ugly Saks building and the mutilated old Harzfelds/Victorias Secret building and build something more productive there. Whatever historic value that building has was lost in a botched renovation anyways. That church contributes much more to the plaza aesthetic than the ugly monstrosity they built behind it.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

(delete
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Nike is back. Bunch of filings today,
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

empires228 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:13 pmA dense mixed use project is better suited behind the Sharaton or on the Nordstrom site. Heck, demolish the ugly Saks building and the mutilated old Harzfelds/Victorias Secret building and build something more productive there.
People underestimate how much of the plaza is just mediocre at best.

I'm not even a big fan of this thing, but I'll digress

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I was walking around the Plaza this evening and was thinking it would be ideal to see the old Halls, Movie Theater, and Victoria's Secret buildings all torn down for 3-5 floor residential buildings with retail on the first floor. Where Nordstrom was supposed to go could be a good site for something in the 6-7 floor range. If people want to keep the general design character of the Plaza, then the new buildings could include it but at least make it high quality.

I was also thinking how, if the "Bowl" idea was trashed that this could end up being KC's Rosemary Square. Rosemary Square is a shopping and mixed-use thing in West Palm Beach that the Related Companies has been working on transforming. Existing buildings were overhauled, some were demolished, and some new residential and office high-rises are sprouting up, or planned to sprout, within the district. I also like how they went for curbless streets and a general pedestrian oriented feel.
https://www.thesquarewestpalm.com
https://rsmdesign.com/work/rosemary-square
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

+1 TLG. Old Parking garages and Faux Spanish architecture do not a historic district make. A lot of the buildings are just lazy and don't even fit with the half assed Spanish character when you look closer up. They may make for nice views from the expensive condos or hotels nearby, it's not like these buildings are something overly special or whos motif couldn't be easily replicated.

We need to eliminate the Plaza bowl heigth restriction. It is one of hte main problems. Raise the height limit to 4-5 floors if we must, but we need to get more residents in the actual plaza.