Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:16 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:10 pm Plaza is keeping the lights on this till Feb. 19th in honor of their 100th anniversary.

Why can't we keep them this long every year? It seems kinda silly to only have such a popular item on for only few weeks of the year when it's literally just flipping a light switch.
Scarcity and exclusivity drive demand
I think it would make sense to go through Valentines Day. There's still gonna be plenty of scarcity left the rest of the year.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Many many years ago I had an argument with someone involved with the plaza about this and other things. All of these restaurants have setups for the art fair that they never use.

Back when I was told there was a lot of push back against doing anything too boozy or festival like. Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, arts fair they were comfortable with and fit in with their high end vibe.

I suspect the lights is more basic and the novelty goes away and you have to pick a date and tbh the lights aren't that special and it's probably best to keep it limited.

Eventually you just become the weird neighbor that won't take their lights down
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I know the goal is people, but I have to admit I kind of groan when the lights come on every year. People from Tongonoxie slowly driving through to gawk at the lights never getting out because "there's riots down there!" just annoy me. I like it better when the Plaza is what it should be again: a local shopping area and gathering place. It's become less of that in recent years probably causing the owners to want to delay the transition back. If they did their job correctly, they'd make as much money in April as they would in January, even with the lights left on.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Honestly it's probably just to have cute valentine's day pictures. I wouldn't over read this.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:47 am Honestly it's probably just to have cute valentine's day pictures. I wouldn't over read this.
I'm surprised they don't just turn it back on for Valentines Day every year
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:47 am Honestly it's probably just to have cute valentine's day pictures. I wouldn't over read this.
That's why I suggested atleast keep it through Valentines. It makes too much sense IMO.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Most Europeans keep Xmas deco up until Valentines.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Visited the Plaza over the holiday. The construction boarding around the new Nike store is coming down and signs for Johnny Was have gone up. No other big updates from what I could tell. Curious if Interior Define is still happening... the space looked fairly quiet. On another note, Plaza was super busy.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

msmith011 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:12 am Visited the Plaza over the holiday. The construction boarding around the new Nike store is coming down and signs for Johnny Was have gone up. No other big updates from what I could tell. Curious if Interior Define is still happening... the space looked fairly quiet. On another note, Plaza was super busy.
Was down there on the evening of Dec 30 (Friday). First time I ever had trouble finding a parking spot on the Plaza. The place was packed.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

It was pretty busy yesterday afternoon I thought. A lot of people out in the middle of the day
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

smh wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:22 am No doubt downtown suffers because amenities and jobs have been scattered widely in what we now consider the "core".

But you could also say that about KC in general. It suffers because it is spread too thin.
It feels like recently the Plaza dev has slowed down a bit and has ramped up more downtown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

A well documented trend over the past 10 years
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

But still, a cogent observation by someone that may not have been watching for the last ten years.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Has there been talk from the Plaza Council on the 7th Day Church? I know both Historic KC and Block want to see it remain and the building adds character to the area.

If not a high end restaurant/bar such as the Preachers Son in Bentonville, could it be turned into a live music venue? The Plaza is lacking one. Closest is what, O'Dowds? There are examples around the country of this such as the Temple Performing Arts Center in Philadelphia, the Epiphany Center for the Arts in Chicago, or Mr. Smalls Theater in Millvale, PA.

Another thought would be turning it into a community center for the area. Potentially even including a space for an art gallery. Keep some of the Plaza Art Fair vibes going year round.

Temple Performing Arts Center. Philadelphia, PA

DePetrus Cultural Community Center. Vught, Netherlands
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I remember making a few trips to the plaza in the morning to transfer to a Johnson County bus route and was shocked at how dead the place was at 9am. Of course, few of the stores are open that early but it was very eerie.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I worked in an office on the Plaza in 2011 and commuted on the bus. I similarly remember it being quiet with the possible exception of areas immediately around Starbucks, Classic Cup (maybe), and the Lattelands. Otherwise just a few dog walkers.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Need a re-do of the classic diner Putsh's Coffee House. Always busy in the mornings, there was also a Sidny's, later Places that served breakfast.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Levi's submitted a tenant finish/remodel application for 441 Nichols Rd. It looks like the former PINK location.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

msmith011 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:54 am Levi's submitted a tenant finish/remodel application for 441 Nichols Rd. It looks like the former PINK location.
I hope it's a large store. That entire corner is looking a little forlorn these days
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:27 pm
msmith011 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:54 am Levi's submitted a tenant finish/remodel application for 441 Nichols Rd. It looks like the former PINK location.
I hope it's a large store. That entire corner is looking a little forlorn these days
Started visiting Levi's after it was rumored here. They generally are pretty open/welcoming street fronts. Lots of natural light and windows.

Zara could also be nice for the Plaza but seeing there is no St. Louis location maybe it isn't possible.