Irish and Bluegrass Jams

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Irish and Bluegrass Jams

Post by shinatoo »

Anyone on here participate in any of the Irish or Bluegrass Jams around the city?

I've chosen the violin as my folly of choice for my mid-life crisis and am thinking about attend a jam, but am terrified!
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Irish and Bluegrass Jams

Post by WSPanic »

While I do enjoy bluegrass quite a bit, I have absolutely zero musical ability. So, I've got nothing for you on local jams.

But, I do go to the Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival in Winfield, KS every year. If it is at all within your means and desires - grab your fiddle and head down there for a night or two of camping and music. It's a great event. You can watch music all day and night - and participate freely in open jams.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Well it is going better than expected, of course i'm just working on technique and started learning my scales. Time will tell if I have any ability whatsoever to scratch out a tune.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

You should also check out The Folk Store at 5th/Deleware. They have open jams and things every Saturday. The National Folk Alliance is run out of that location. I've heard their national conference at Crown Center is a pretty great event. It's in Feb next year.

http://www.folkalliance.org/
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Walnut festival has a beginning fiddle seminar on Wednesday. Going to attend is I can get off.

I've been to the jam (by random accident) at the Folk Store, it's one of the things that inspired me. Will certainly be going to the national conference if able.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Looks like Westport Saloon is starting a weekly bluegrass jam.

From their site:

it’s finally here! The Westport Saloon is proud to present “Chicken and Pickin,” A weekly bluegrass song swap hosted by AJ Gaither and rotating guests. Have some songs to share or just wanna pick along? That kinda mess is encouraged. Shit you can sit in the corner a blow on a jug if you are so inclined to do so!
Chef Peter Castillo and Eat Me Gourmet will be providing a mouth watering FRIED CHICKEN SPECIAL!!! complete with all the fixin’s. We’re talking taters. We’re talking Gravy. We’re talking beans. Is bacon involved? You bet your ass bacon is coming to this party. We’ll even have some cornbread to soak up all that healthy goodness! All for only $10. Wash it all down with $1 Hamms and $3 Whiskey shots!

Sundays - 8p
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Great looking bluegrass program happening tomorrow March 7th in the hinterlands of KC in Western Wyandotte County starting with Dr. Mike Pettengell