proposed Valentine QuickTrip

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: proposed Valentine QuickTrip

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

On the QT, I think KC life will face some long odds on this one. From what i hear they need an upzoning for the gas and the opposition looks pretty enthusiastic. At one of the last meetings the QT reps apparently claimed they had heard nothing but positive feedback from the neighbors so petitions are being canvassed across the area to put the lie to that.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Is there such a thing as an urban QT? Gas pumps out back?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

or with no gas pumps?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Aside from the QT previously inside Sprint Center, I don't think they do stores without gas pumps anywhere, do they?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mean wrote:Is there such a thing as an urban QT? Gas pumps out back?
I doubt they care a lick about urban/midtown business. This is 100% about capturing the northland to plaza auto commuters.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:
KCMax wrote:Whoa! You're back!
Yeah saw the Rag come up in a twitter feed and remembered to come back and give it a look. Appears to be all the same threads and posters as four years ago. Did I miss anything? :D
well, we're building a streetcar. that's surely different from 4 years ago
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:
I doubt they care a lick about urban/midtown business. This is 100% about capturing the northland to plaza auto commuters.
depends on which part of QT you care about.

the gas part is very suburban car driver. they even offer free air

the convenience stores have bike racks even in places where biking to them would be painful. I'd call that part very urban friendly

I see almost every school day kids walking to the one on Armour in NKC. it's very similar to the Valentine plan in that it backs up to an established neighborhood.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not at all similar to NKC Armour QuickTrip. That one is on a commercial street immediately across the street from an industrial area.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I think the most depressing part of this proposal are the implications for what it means for the rest of the KC Life blocks. They have several more cleared and semi cleared blocks around this one that are zoned for multi family residential. They have always played their cards tight over the years but I had dared to hope that they might have learned something over the decades they have squandered this neighborhood and that maybe when they get around to doing something someday it might be nice urban apartment blocks or even townhomes. But this proposal has me back to assuming it will be some crap, Amli style suburban apartment complex slapped into midtown.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

flyingember wrote:
LenexatoKCMO wrote:
depends on which part of QT you care about.

the gas part is very suburban car driver. they even offer free air

the convenience stores have bike racks even in places where biking to them would be painful. I'd call that part very urban friendly

I see almost every school day kids walking to the one on Armour in NKC. it's very similar to the Valentine plan in that it backs up to an established neighborhood.
the QT at 103rd Wornall near the Indian Creek trial has bike racks
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Quiktrip provides a truly active, metropolitan experience. Everyone utilizes them.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Quiktrip provides a truly active, metropolitan experience.
For your automobile.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

moderne wrote:Not at all similar to NKC Armour QuickTrip. That one is on a commercial street immediately across the street from an industrial area.
Well there are houses immediately behind the NKC QT. It's located on the commercial corridor of a pretty dense (at least in KC terms) urban neighborhood, so I would say they are a bit similar. No doubt there are definite differences as well though.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote:Not at all similar to NKC Armour QuickTrip. That one is on a commercial street immediately across the street from an industrial area.
It's across from the community center, next to the post office and fast food. Then next to the post office is a tiny strip mall followed by a park

The industrial area is very similar to the community college in scale. Remember there's infustrial similarly close to parts of midtown

It's very similar to midtown and what's along the valentine neighborhood

NKC get more industrial to the south. Along armour is nothing like close to 16th
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

so this is dead, right?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I found this on Jim Fitzpatrick's blog. He used to work for the KC Star. Quik Trip is proposing demolishing the 2-story office building on the NW corner of W. 39th Street and Southwest Trafficway.

https://jimmycsays.com/2020/12/04/quikt ... -building/
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:01 am I found this on Jim Fitzpatrick's blog. He used to work for the KC Star. Quik Trip is proposing demolishing the 2-story office building on the NW corner of W. 39th Street and Southwest Trafficway.

https://jimmycsays.com/2020/12/04/quikt ... -building/
Look, I am a realist. I understand people want/need convenience stores in the urban core.

This is a really bad intersection. The fact you have to turn on to Summit st. to turn WB on 39th st. is constantly confusing drivers. Traffic turning onto SW Tfwy NB is always backing up, and having Summit St. plus the parking lot of Missie B's merging onto 39th creates a congestion point too close t the major intersection. Having a big traffic draw like a QT there would be significantly determinantal for traffic flow through the area, even if the only entrance is at the end of the parcel by 39th st.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Suspect they will ask to vacate and close that stretch of Summit and make access to 39th go through their parking lot.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Not only one of the worst locations in Midtown but also overkill given the Westport location is fairly close. That intersection is already a clusterfuck.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:31 am Not only one of the worst locations in Midtown but also overkill given the Westport location is fairly close. That intersection is already a clusterfuck.
That section of Westport has half the traffic of SW Tfwy in the 30s. Even if half of all cars turned onto Westport Rd, they could potentially double their customer base with two stores. It's logical for them to have two that close.

SW Tfwy lines up with the continuing traffic onto Ward Parkway, Westport Rd does not

39th would provide a lot of US 71 to KU Med traffic, Westport Rd does not