Downtown KCK

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown KCK

Post by daGOAT »

Has there been any renderings for 6th and Ann?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

daGOAT wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:35 am Has there been any renderings for 6th and Ann?
The project goes before the KCK City Landmarks Commission on December 5, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom, so I imagine images will be shared then
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

The action to recommend approval and green light the application for the Downtown KCK Historic District was held over and sent back to standing committee.

The mayor and his economic counsel (the "great" Lavert Murray) are seemingly trying to sandbag this action. Why? Who knows.....
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Despite best efforts of the City Planning Commission, the Change of Zone for this project was approved by the CPC. The variance was held over until January 9. The change of zone goes before the Board of Commissioners on January 12.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:09 pm The action to recommend approval and green light the application for the Downtown KCK Historic District was held over and sent back to standing committee.

The mayor and his economic counsel (the "great" Lavert Murray) are seemingly trying to sandbag this action. Why? Who knows.....
Can we get Alvey back in there?

This mayor seems to be killing projects left and right.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

I wish, I really wish.

Garner brought Lavert Murray back as an economic development advisor and it's been an absolute disaster. I have no clue what Murray's beef with Downtown KCK is, and I'm not sure how he slithered in and conned Garner into being his advisor.

Chris Steineger is also on the mayors volunteer staff if that tells you anything.....
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Downtown KCK Historic District will be sent to Kansas State Historic Preservation Office for consideration for State and National listing. Voted unanimously by the Board of Commissioners.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 54537.html

KCK local government continues to be a shitshow under Mayor Garner
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:50 pm https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 54537.html

KCK local government continues to be a shitshow under Mayor Garner
Yep, Mayor Garner (a 32 year KCKPD officer / deputy chief) has managed to convince people that he is somehow an "outsider" who is here to "clean up" the UG and essentially get the "establishment" out. Meanwhile he himself is 32 year insider and his mayoral staff consists of multiple establishment people, including Lavert Murray and Chris Steineger....but yeah....totally trying to get the establishment out.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCK is such a bizarre place. It's like going back to 1975 when you go there.

I can't imagine having a career cop as a mayor of any city. I support cops, but they have to be the absolute worst when it comes to knowing how to plan a city etc. Most cops, even urban cops, live a very suburban or even rural culture, drive pickup trucks etc and don't know or care about how a vibrant walkable city functions.

KCK needs somebody that actually wants to see that place change in some way other than some tacky sprawl west of 435.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:08 pm KCK needs somebody that actually wants to see that place change in some way other than some tacky sprawl west of 435.
Alvey seemed to be doing that. I know he was moved by the Strongtowns presentations that were done in KC
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

6th and Ann project killed at Board of Zoning Appeals. They wouldn't allow a variance for nine (9) spaces or distance to other parking lots.

Two commissioners on the board were very (incorrectly) outspoken and got everyone to go along.

Such a travesty. I'm livid to say the least.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

As if there is a shortage of street or garage parking in the area?! But DT KCK has so much development going on they can be so picky?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The combination of this and the river market situation really demonstrate how much of a chokehold cars still have on the urban center
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

moderne wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:27 pm As if there is a shortage of street or garage parking in the area?! But DT KCK has so much development going on they can be so picky?
x1000

A failure of leadership...
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:08 pm
moderne wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:27 pm As if there is a shortage of street or garage parking in the area?! But DT KCK has so much development going on they can be so picky?
x1000

A failure of leadership...
It's even more appalling when one of those in staunch opposition was the mayors own appointee.

Project may not be dead yet, developer is working on a revised parking agreement and revised variance. I don't see how it will appease the board though. I guess we'll find out.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Willie Lanier's Reardon Center development agreement got approved by the Unified Govt. Board of Commissioners. If all goes to plan, construction could start as soon as September 2023.

Additionally, 6th & Ann (City Hall Place) is still alive, looking to revise and resubmit with a PDP / FDP.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:19 pm Willie Lanier's Reardon Center development agreement got approved by the Unified Govt. Board of Commissioners. If all goes to plan, construction could start as soon as September 2023.

Additionally, 6th & Ann (City Hall Place) is still alive, looking to revise and resubmit with a PDP / FDP.
What are they doing with it? Is it staying a convention center? Don't see why KCK needs a convention center. Hopefully they are tearing it down and replacing all that dead space with a mixed use high density mostly residential development. That's what downtown KCK needs.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

GRID wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:54 pm
SilentSpades24 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:19 pm Willie Lanier's Reardon Center development agreement got approved by the Unified Govt. Board of Commissioners. If all goes to plan, construction could start as soon as September 2023.

What are they doing with it? Is it staying a convention center? Don't see why KCK needs a convention center. Hopefully they are tearing it down and replacing all that dead space with a mixed use high density mostly residential development. That's what downtown KCK needs.
The Reardon Center is planned to be torn down and replaced with 85-100 market rate apartments, 7000sf of retail space, and at least 7500sf of convention/meeting space. There was a previous development agreement in place that the incumbent Mayor halted, but the County Commission advanced the plan. Willie Lanier Jr is the developer of the plan.

I'm all for something like this, especially if it can happen. 6th and Ann is another one that I'm happy to hear is still alive after Strawberry Hill neighbors got it halted. There was an RFP out for the county for the big parking lot near 6th and Minnesota, so maybe something will come of that.
(Mayor) Garner, who has repeatedly found himself at odds with other commissioners, used his power to hold the project off of commission agendas for months, delaying and threatening its progress.

While the mayor voiced no objection to the project on Thursday, commissioners alluded to the previous obstacles Lanier faced.

“I want to give you my deepest apologies for all of the hoops and unnecessary barriers that you had to go through that no other developers had to go through just to get here today...,” said commissioner Christian Ramirez. “So I wanted to give you my deepest apologies for that, because that is unfair.”...

The project is expected to cost about $25 million. As part of the agreement approved Thursday, Lanier will receive about $9.5 million in local incentives and subsidies toward the effort.
A bit of good hope from a Commissioner...
Ramirez, who represents the county’s 3rd district, said other developers should not be afraid of investing in Wyandotte County.

“We want development,” he said. “We want development in our most disinvested area of our community. And you’re bringing a project that’s going to be a potential catalytic project for our community, for the downtown area, where we can finally compete with KCMO, with Johnson County. So I thank you for staying strong.”
KCStar Article Link: https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 07560.html

Rendering...
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Looks like a nice project, much better than I envisioned.