OFFICIAL - Hilton Home2 Suites Hotel (20th & Main)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Crossroads Hotel

Post by DaveKCMO »

condemnation request for the billboard goes before PZED tomorrow. neighborhood supports it. should be an interesting test.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote:condemnation request for the billboard goes before PZED tomorrow. neighborhood supports it. should be an interesting test.
collison reports PZED committee approves the condemnation request!

MOD: moved comments to the correct thread.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kansas City Council approves billboard condemnation for Crossroads hotel plan

Kansas City has approved condemning a towering billboard at 20th and Main streets, a big step needed for a developer to move forward with a planned $16 million hotel project in the Crossroads Arts District....

The city’s decision to seek condemnation will now require a Jackson County circuit judge to establish a condemnation commission to determine the value of the billboard. The city already has offered Lamar $250,000 for the sign.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Hilton Home2 Suites Hotel - 20th & Main

Post by DaveKCMO »

two crossroads hotel threads, so let's try to keep them separate:

16th & baltimore - chartwell's dual-flag marriott property now under construction
20th & main - sunflower's home2 property proposed
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The rendering in the Star article shows an image of the north side that fronts 20th. The only thing worse than the color scheme is the parking on the ground level of the hotel. I don't know what sorts of pedestrian or street-level activity a hotel could add, but the current proposal looks like a huge black hole in the block between Grand and Main. Also interesting is the request for incentives, which the Marriott combo is forgoing.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Agreed. Not a fan if this represents the final product:

Where is the main entrance? I don't even see a lobby, just three levels of blandness elevated over a parking lot
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote:Agreed. Not a fan if this represents the final product:

Where is the main entrance? I don't even see a lobby, just three levels of blandness elevated over a parking lot
I think the lobby is where the vehicle is pulling under the building. Of course, I could just be seeing things. I hope this design changes significantly before it is approved.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

that is indeed the lobby that faces 20th street. the parking will not be visible from 20th street.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:that is indeed the lobby that faces 20th street. the parking will not be visible from 20th street.
Are you sure about the last part? You can clearly see through the structure. I have a hard time believing there will be no parking under there.

Also, this project is receiving incentives? I don't understand.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

part of that is based on what's proposed, the rest will be the neighborhood's position (not visible from 20th street).

this isn't a done deal, btw.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:part of that is based on what's proposed, the rest will be the neighborhood's position (not visible from 20th street).

this isn't a done deal, btw.
Glad to hear all of that. I'm just concerned that I haven't heard more push back from Crossroads on this. It is a choice site. Whatever gets built there doesn't have to be an architectural marvel, but I do think it should be a model of good design along the streetcar line for future projects to follow.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:Glad to hear all of that. I'm just concerned that I haven't heard more push back from Crossroads on this. It is a choice site. Whatever gets built there doesn't have to be an architectural marvel, but I do think it should be a model of good design along the streetcar line for future projects to follow.
not everything we do is splashed all over the media, twitter, and kcrag. i actually do know how to have offline discussions. :)

city planning has also been emboldened and will likely request changes -- as they did at 16th & baltimore.

in fact, i suggest anyone with serious concerns pick up the phone and talk to the planner assigned. the main number is 816-513-1500.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Preliminary Plat permit came through today for this hotel. This is generally one of the first steps in the rezoning process.

KCDowntown
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Construction Could Begin This Year
although it sounds like the billboard issue still needs to be resolved.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

On the EDC website I found the packet that was used for this hotel's presentation to the TIF Commission.

Here is the link.

Within this document, renderings and blueprints of the project can be found and they are awful. I would encourage everyone to take a look at them (approx page 23-26) It is hard to describe how bad it is, but here goes.

This hotel completely turns its back to the street. The entire first floor is devoted to parking. The street-level presence of the building is blank walls or open-air parking. There is an elevator within the parking lot that takes people up to the second-floor lobby. The only door at street-level are fire-stairs at the eastern edge of the building along 20th. It appears that if you were on Main street to get into the hotel, you would have to walk through the parking entrance to the elevator within the parking lot because there is no front door.

To me this is worse than if they dumped a suburban style building on this site. A suburban building will at least make empty gestures to the street. This building is actively hostile to the street.

Is there anything we can do to get them to revise their plans for this site? This is a wasted opportunity to improve 20th & Main.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'm curious too how this will connect with the Freighthouse. Will you be able to walk from the hotel, under the bridge to that area?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KCDowntown wrote:On the EDC website I found the packet that was used for this hotel's presentation to the TIF Commission.

Here is the link.

Within this document, renderings and blueprints of the project can be found and they are awful. I would encourage everyone to take a look at them (approx page 23-26) It is hard to describe how bad it is, but here goes.

This hotel completely turns its back to the street. The entire first floor is devoted to parking. The street-level presence of the building is blank walls or open-air parking. There is an elevator within the parking lot that takes people up to the second-floor lobby. The only door at street-level are fire-stairs at the eastern edge of the building along 20th. It appears that if you were on Main street to get into the hotel, you would have to walk through the parking entrance to the elevator within the parking lot because there is no front door.

To me this is worse than if they dumped a suburban style building on this site. A suburban building will at least make empty gestures to the street. This building is actively hostile to the street.

Is there anything we can do to get them to revise their plans for this site? This is a wasted opportunity to improve 20th & Main.
I dunno, I kinda like the brick windows. Very urban.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Yeah I'm even more disappointed that TIF is being used for a development that goes out of the way to eliminate interaction with the street.