Regional Transit Coordination

Transportation topics in KC
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Regional Transit Coordination

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:41 pm KC doesn't need larger vehicles. It needs more coverage. Sprawling metro with a skeletal system. The trench is a massive investment for little gain. Transfers can work, but most agencies don't design them well or the connecting route isn't frequent enough (see NY subway, which has high frequency and LOTS of transfers on an antiquated jumble of routes). We see a lot of transfer activity in KC when two frequent routes connect (31st & Prospect is one example).
Do you think transfers from Union Station rail to streetcar would work well?
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:41 pmThe trench is a massive investment for little gain.
How much of the cost of the old proposal was due to trench issues? If you're running a tunnel north-south through downtown then the trains could enter that tunnel from the north end rather than the south. For that matter you could have through-running as trains from the west pass through Union Station and then enter the tunnel and come out the other end and run to some other endpoint.

I know very little about the issues of acquiring access to the various sets of tracks so I don't know if I'm just wasting time even writing about this, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents on how commuter rail could be done in a way that's not worse than the no-build alternative.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Side question- does anyone know when the streetcar is gonna get back to its old hours..especially for the weekend?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kas1 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:00 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:41 pmThe trench is a massive investment for little gain.
How much of the cost of the old proposal was due to trench issues? If you're running a tunnel north-south through downtown then the trains could enter that tunnel from the north end rather than the south. For that matter you could have through-running as trains from the west pass through Union Station and then enter the tunnel and come out the other end and run to some other endpoint.

I know very little about the issues of acquiring access to the various sets of tracks so I don't know if I'm just wasting time even writing about this, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents on how commuter rail could be done in a way that's not worse than the no-build alternative.
The commuter proposal proposed RM to avoid the trench. $200 million IIRC to bridge the rail yards, etc.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:46 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:41 pm KC doesn't need larger vehicles. It needs more coverage. Sprawling metro with a skeletal system. The trench is a massive investment for little gain. Transfers can work, but most agencies don't design them well or the connecting route isn't frequent enough (see NY subway, which has high frequency and LOTS of transfers on an antiquated jumble of routes). We see a lot of transfer activity in KC when two frequent routes connect (31st & Prospect is one example).
Depends on the frequency of both.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:43 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:46 pm
Depends on the frequency of both.
Streetcar at current frequency I feel wouldn’t draw much issue, the real burden would be on whatever rail was connecting into US.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

1) The north loop needs to go and the South loop needs to be decked. The south loop being decked should be priority, will drive investment south of Truman, hopefully that can lead to things east of Grand.

2) The north loop and south loop are different funding sources and the south loop will happen sooner.

3) Transit won't work in the suburbs, it never will. Light rail transit to the burbs will never work as intended. It will work how described in Denver. Highways are still faster.

4) Our transit and land use patterns should be focused on our urban cores and beefing up properties and transit within those underutilized cores. Transit to the burbs should be targeted and only serving major employment areas and warehouse districts, and should be connected to transit in the core and serving those who need it most.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Timeline for OneRideKC update?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:43 pm Timeline for OneRideKC update?
You'll probably hear some more detail in the spring!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:15 pm Side question- does anyone know when the streetcar is gonna get back to its old hours..especially for the weekend?
Thank you...finally!!! Maybe Rag really does work

https://fox4kc.com/business/kc-streetca ... ght-hours/
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Did anybody go to the Complete Streets open house yesterday?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

daGOAT wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:28 am Did anybody go to the Complete Streets open house yesterday?
All of the content is here: https://www.kcmo.gov/Home/Components/Fa ... ry/235/360
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

oneridekc domain expired
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Edit
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:36 am oneridekc domain expired
Welcome to my world.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:04 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:36 am oneridekc domain expired
Welcome to my world.
is one ride dead or just the website?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ember of hope exists re: transit plan but i think momentum has died off for the most part

https://civicclerk.blob.core.windows.ne ... tion%2Fpdf
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

We should be studying BRT or LRT to JoCo, Vivion, Arrowhead, Bannister or Cerner concurrently. Upsetting our Public officials don't support this.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

This may be old news, but I saw it today and I don't think it got many headlines likie the 71 Corridor Study did. Looks like a State Avenue - Independence Ave MAX type service is in the cards. Current route takes an hour and 51 minutes along with a 3 block walk to transfer.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... eets_0.pdf

BI-STATE SUSTAINABLE REINVESTMENT CORRIDOR
RAISE AWARD AMOUNT: $5,600,000
APPLICANT: MID-AMERICA REGIONAL COUNCIL
STATE: MISSOURI
URBAN
Project Description: This planning project will fund planning activities for an east-west high- capacity transit
corridor from Village West in Wyandotte County, Kansas through downtown Kansas City, Missouri to
Independence, Missouri. The project will complete project development and environmental documentation for
zero-emission transportation elements, and advance engineering design for one or more high-capacity transit
routes.
Project Benefits: Through the incorporation of zero emission transportation options, the project will reduce
emissions and enhance public transportation, improve walkability, and improve bicycle infrastructure. It will also
improve regional connectivity to economic opportunities in disadvantaged communities, including workforce
training.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:04 am This may be old news, but I saw it today and I don't think it got many headlines likie the 71 Corridor Study did. Looks like a State Avenue - Independence Ave MAX type service is in the cards. Current route takes an hour and 51 minutes along with a 3 block walk to transfer.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... eets_0.pdf

BI-STATE SUSTAINABLE REINVESTMENT CORRIDOR
RAISE AWARD AMOUNT: $5,600,000
APPLICANT: MID-AMERICA REGIONAL COUNCIL
STATE: MISSOURI
URBAN
Project Description: This planning project will fund planning activities for an east-west high- capacity transit
corridor from Village West in Wyandotte County, Kansas through downtown Kansas City, Missouri to
Independence, Missouri. The project will complete project development and environmental documentation for
zero-emission transportation elements, and advance engineering design for one or more high-capacity transit
routes.
Project Benefits: Through the incorporation of zero emission transportation options, the project will reduce
emissions and enhance public transportation, improve walkability, and improve bicycle infrastructure. It will also
improve regional connectivity to economic opportunities in disadvantaged communities, including workforce
training.
Was really excited for the potential behind this. Haven't heard much news though. Would love to hear from anyone with better research skills or inside info on the prospects.