College Football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: College Football

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:04 am Good question. They'll claim it's because of "weather" but there are far colder/wetter cities than KC hosting outdoor bowl games.
I guess that makes sense. Most games do avoid the Midwest in general for warmer cities
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:45 am Why does KC not have a College Football Bowl Game in Arrowhead?
Nobody wants to come to cold outdoor stadiums unless its something iconic (Like Fenway or Yankee Stadium)or indoors. We did host the D2 Football Championships from 2014-2018 i believe, didn't seem like it got very much buzz or fanfair. I wanted to go the year my alma mader made it but it was a cold and snowy day, the attendence was 6000
The only time the D2 chamionship drew well was when NW Missouri St played in favorable conditions, they made it to the KC based championship twice but one year was snowy conditions and it only drew 9,000
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:04 am Good question. They'll claim it's because of "weather" but there are far colder/wetter cities than KC hosting outdoor bowl games.
KC can have all the bowl games it wants. It just needs a sponsor. No different than all the other named bowls. H&R Block Bowl, Cerner Bowl. Simple as that. Bring the cash & you too can host a minor bowl game that is thinly attended & shown on a cable channel that 28 people get.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I am more excited for the NCAA womens volleyball final four coming back to KC in 2025. College Bowl games are stupid exhibition games. Lots of the big stars sit these games out now so they don't get hurt before the upcoming draft.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:45 am Why does KC not have a College Football Bowl Game in Arrowhead?
Several have pointed out that KC's cold winters make a bowl unlikely. Not sure if a bowl game is going to be that big of a deal going forward. Watching what is happening in college football, players that are entering the transfer portal and declaring for the NFL are opting out of most bowls that are not part of the College Football Playoffs. So teams are going into the bowls missing many of their critical players which is probably going to impact the number of fans willing to make the trip (especially to a cold place). When the college football playoff expands to 8 or 12 teams, I suspect interest in bowls not associated with the playoffs will drop even further.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

A map tells you a lot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Bowl_games_map

Bowl games make their money off ticket/merch sales, needs to be somewhere fanbases are excited about in the middle of winter.