Boulevardia - June 13-15, 2014

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Boulevardia

Post by bahua »

I was told about this when I went to tourguide training at the brewery. Some local ad agency took it upon themselves, and got the brewery's blessing, to make a big flash-based website, basically advertising Boulevard, pro bono.

http://www.boulevardia.com/
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Boulevardia

Post by kucer »

very cool...and bizarro.

sippin' a pale ale right now... :D
KCrules
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCrules »

Has anybody out there ever had the opportunity to reserve one of the "party" rooms at the brewery? From the pictures on the website it looks to be a sweet deal for a work party, etc...
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

You can reserve the tasting room for, I believe, $10 a person, but as I understand it, it's only available from like 7-9 on Saturdays.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I have heard Boulevard is working on a festival in KC next year to be called...Boulevardia.

Supposedly is going off the theme of the website these guys created a few years back- trying to build a "culture" around boulevard and really playing off the local theme w/ food, music, and who knows what else. Sounds like they're following in the steps of Tour de Fat if you're familiar. http://www.newbelgium.com/events/tour-de-fat.aspx

West Bottoms has been identified as a possible location w/ the under side of the 12th street bridge as a main staging area...that would be awesome!

Also, the website linked above has moved here in case you weren't able to look at it before. Nothing on there about the festival though.. http://www.contrabrand.net/boulevardia/
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

kboish wrote:I have heard Boulevard is working on a festival in KC next year to be called...Boulevardia.
Why not do double duty:
1. Celebrate Boulevard Beer
2. Celebrate our great Boulevards

Have the celebration in a park location next to a great KC boulevard/parkway.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

slimwhitman wrote:
kboish wrote:I have heard Boulevard is working on a festival in KC next year to be called...Boulevardia.
Why not do double duty:
1. Celebrate Boulevard Beer
2. Celebrate our great Boulevards

Have the celebration in a park location next to a great KC boulevard/parkway.
With a big KC Pils Boulevard "fountain."
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Boulevardia - June 13-15, 2014

Post by heatherkay »

I was going to stick this in the West Bottoms or Beer threads, but thought it probably deserved a standalone. Boulevard is going to be sponsoring a big 3-day street festival in the West Bottoms next summer. An article went up on KC Star and promptly crashed the Boulevard site.

Plans for Boulevardia include a craft beer festival, food samples from Kansas City chefs, live music, art, information on sustainability and cycling, and a variety of handmade goods from local artisans.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/16/46 ... s-for.html
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

It is official:
Kansas City beer lovers should mark their 2014 calendars for June 13-15 — and not just because it’s Father’s Day weekend. Today Boulevard Brewing Company announced Boulevardia, a new annual street festival in the West Bottoms.

Plans for Boulevardia include a craft beer festival, food samples from Kansas City chefs, live music, art, information on sustainability and cycling, and a variety of handmade goods from local artisans.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/16/46 ... rylink=cpy
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Boulevardia - June 13-15, 2014

Post by bobbyhawks »

heatherkay wrote:I was going to stick this in the West Bottoms or Beer threads, but thought it probably deserved a standalone. Boulevard is going to be sponsoring a big 3-day street festival in the West Bottoms next summer. An article went up on KC Star and promptly crashed the Boulevard site.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/16/46 ... s-for.html
Great news. Clips of Faith from New Belgium has been a great event over the last couple of years and a great advertisement for the brand. I would much rather attend something run by Boulevard, and I quite simply like Boulevard's beer a lot more.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

need to merge this thread w/ the old one.

http://forum.kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8828
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Nah, this thread is not about the rumor.

Fitting fest for W Bottoms but now might be a good time to plan for a Blvd Brew Pub somewhere along streetcar line. Not the half-assed airport thing they have with sub-par eats but a true outdoor BBQ pit using pitmaster techniques and every line of Blvd brew and maybe even experimental brews. The time is now to start planning and open when streetcar line opens.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Awesome! I agree a Boulevard Brew Pub is an excellent idea. I didn't know there was one at the airport, but of course that isn't an ideal version of the brew pub. No one wants to go to the airport to go to a bar unless they are flying somewhere lol. The closest to a Boulevard brew pub I'm aware of is 12 Baltimore, which has a partnership with Boulevard. The bar has several Bullies on tap, including some smokestacks and always has a small production beer on tap. Since the buyout they even have a duvel on tap. Some of the food they make use Boulevard as an ingredient, like the sauce for buffalo wings. 12 Baltimore isn't really ideal as a Boulevard brew pub either because it also caters to the hotel.

We need a brew pub that is more in line with what earthling is saying. Indoor/ outdoor with loud music, bbq, and other such stuff. I really don't know why no one has taken advantage of this potential money maker. If done right it would do so well!

As for Boulevardia, I can't wait! The riverfront would have been great for this event, but being in the bottoms will be an absolute blast. It was probably the right location. After all, nothing screams KC more than the west bottoms.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Oh, and perfect location for the Boulevard Brew Pub?

Troost
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Pretty sure there's some state law that is keeping Boulevard from pursuing a brew pub. Something about, if you produce more than X barrels you can't also sell by-the-glass or something like that. I don't remember for sure, but I do remember talking about it on this forum like ten years ago and someone dug up the law. It may have changed since then, though.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote:Pretty sure there's some state law that is keeping Boulevard from pursuing a brew pub. Something about, if you produce more than X barrels you can't also sell by-the-glass or something like that. I don't remember for sure, but I do remember talking about it on this forum like ten years ago and someone dug up the law. It may have changed since then, though.
This is accurate, but I don't have the energy to find you the citation. You basically can be a "microbrewery" or a "brewery" but if you're a brewery you can't sell on site or own an interest in other alcohol operations (i.e., I don't think they could just open a bar somewhere of premises).
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

What is the exception for the KCI pub?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Wonder if licensing could be a way around MO law for a downtown location. Like if someone with close ties to Blvd (preferably a BBQ pit master) opened a place rather than be company owned.

Since Hamburger Mary's is moving to midtown, would be a good location (again) for BBQ/Blvd and is actually on SW Blvd and close to streetcar line.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:Wonder if licensing could be a way around MO law for a downtown location. Like if someone with close ties to Blvd (preferably a BBQ pit master) opened a place rather than be company owned.

Since Hamburger Mary's is moving to midtown, would be a good location (again) for BBQ/Blvd and is actually on SW Blvd and close to streetcar line.
I've wondered about this, but I question whether BLVD could have the kind of control over the experience that they'd want. I'm sure there is a way to get it done. Where it would suffer is they wouldn't be able to offer test brews like they do at the brewery. Everything sold at a pub would have to go through TTB and DOR (I think).