OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I think this is such a weird binary for people to have. Even if the city fails miserably to maintain a 3 acre garden bridge, which I doubt will happen because of how high profile this project will be, I still think having that structure existing in the urban fabric is preferable to imploding it. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Forever.
WoodDraw
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by WoodDraw »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:18 pm I think this is such a weird binary for people to have. Even if the city fails miserably to maintain a 3 acre garden bridge, which I doubt will happen because of how high profile this project will be, I still think having that structure existing in the urban fabric is preferable to imploding it. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Forever.
High profile on this forum maybe. I doubt anyone in the city has a clue.
User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4390
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by grovester »

KC loves to demolish things and then complain about all the things that are missing from their past.
User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by TheLastGentleman »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:21 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:18 pm I think this is such a weird binary for people to have. Even if the city fails miserably to maintain a 3 acre garden bridge, which I doubt will happen because of how high profile this project will be, I still think having that structure existing in the urban fabric is preferable to imploding it. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Forever.
High profile on this forum maybe. I doubt anyone in the city has a clue.
Probably because it doesn’t exist yet….?
User avatar
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1132
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm
Location: King in the North(Land)

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by alejandro46 »

Agreed, Loose park comes to mind. I would say that it does speak to a lack of quality parks within the DT core. $65M would go aways to fund a loop cap, js. I know it's all imaginary, not existing dollars at this point, but I know which project I would pick if I had to choose. I still think making the bridge a park would be great, but I don't think the math adds up.
User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by TheLastGentleman »

But the real issue here is; keep the bridge or not? Again, if it’s gone it’s gone. Can’t be reused for anything cause it will be destroyed and will never be rebuilt in any capacity. Ever.

At this point, whatever keeps kc from destroying more of itself, I’m in favor of.
User avatar
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7765
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:29 pm Agreed, Loose park comes to mind. I would say that it does speak to a lack of quality parks within the DT core. $65M would go aways to fund a loop cap, js. I know it's all imaginary, not existing dollars at this point, but I know which project I would pick if I had to choose. I still think making the bridge a park would be great, but I don't think the math adds up.
IIRC, that is 1 and 1/2 blocks
User avatar
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7765
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by normalthings »

grovester wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:25 pm KC loves to demolish things and then complain about all the things that are missing from their past.
There is an unhealthy connection to infrastructure and public works. Its time to bulldoze the old and build new ( kemper arena, airport, broadway bridge, northloop, stadiums, etc)
User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2948
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: West Plaza

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Destroy the bridge. Move on and focus on the core.
User avatar
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 16966
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by FangKC »

Perhaps it's major contractors having too much influence over policymakers. Less budgeting for maintenance. Always money to build new replacements because they make more building a replacement than doing periodic maintenance. Contractors seed political campaigns.
User avatar
Anthony_Hugo98
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1258
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:13 pm IIRC, that is 1 and 1/2 blocks
The cap park proposal? I was under the impression it was to be at minimum 4 blocks, with a possibility of full buildout to 7 blocks.
User avatar
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7765
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:34 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:13 pm IIRC, that is 1 and 1/2 blocks
The cap park proposal? I was under the impression it was to be at minimum 4 blocks, with a possibility of full buildout to 7 blocks.
$40 million per block so $65 million is like 1.5 blocks of construction.
User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2948
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: West Plaza

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCKev wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:42 pm How much to implode/destroy a usable bridge that could be something special if city planners had any kind of vision?
I think there is a broader vision problem, even on this forum.

There are several people on this very forum who, from everything I’ve seen, have no creativity beyond “build restaurants and mixed-use and a transit line” and get mad if you propose anything that’s outside the box.

At some point you have to think beyond just basic things like mixed-use and restaurants. Literally anyone can do that. Omaha can do that.

What will make us special is taking advantage of things that we have that most cities don’t. And taking advantage of uses that most cities can’t do even if they wanted to. There’s too many people who who blow a gasket if you say, for example, that Berkeley Riverfront should be a grid and find every excuse in the world to stop it. That’s our biggest challenge we’re facing.

TLDR: the vision is there- people just aren’t open minded to it and act too conservative about big ideas
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pmThere is an unhealthy connection to infrastructure and public works. Its time to bulldoze the old and build new
I wouldn't be surprised if some 1960s urban planner said this exact thing before demolishing half the urban core.
User avatar
Anthony_Hugo98
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1258
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:48 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:34 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:13 pm IIRC, that is 1 and 1/2 blocks
The cap park proposal? I was under the impression it was to be at minimum 4 blocks, with a possibility of full buildout to 7 blocks.
$40 million per block so $65 million is like 1.5 blocks of construction.
My apologies, misunderstood your point
User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4390
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by grovester »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pm
grovester wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:25 pm KC loves to demolish things and then complain about all the things that are missing from their past.
There is an unhealthy connection to infrastructure and public works. Its time to bulldoze the old and build new ( kemper arena, airport, broadway bridge, northloop, stadiums, etc)
Ha! How many time have we heard that refrain over the years? Folly Theater, President Hotel?

I have no problem making a rational decision once all the facts are known and options explored, but it's always about the rush, the absolute urgency of the demolition that is off-putting.

Consider it land banking, we're good at that.
User avatar
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7765
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by normalthings »

grovester wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:22 am
normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pm
grovester wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:25 pm KC loves to demolish things and then complain about all the things that are missing from their past.
There is an unhealthy connection to infrastructure and public works. Its time to bulldoze the old and build new ( kemper arena, airport, broadway bridge, northloop, stadiums, etc)
Ha! How many time have we heard that refrain over the years? Folly Theater, President Hotel?

I have no problem making a rational decision once all the facts are known and options explored, but it's always about the rush, the absolute urgency of the demolition that is off-putting.

Consider it land banking, we're good at that.
I think there is a difference between architecture and infrastructure.
User avatar
Anthony_Hugo98
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1258
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:17 pm
grovester wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:22 am
normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pm

There is an unhealthy connection to infrastructure and public works. Its time to bulldoze the old and build new ( kemper arena, airport, broadway bridge, northloop, stadiums, etc)
Ha! How many time have we heard that refrain over the years? Folly Theater, President Hotel?

I have no problem making a rational decision once all the facts are known and options explored, but it's always about the rush, the absolute urgency of the demolition that is off-putting.

Consider it land banking, we're good at that.
I think there is a difference between architecture and infrastructure.
All architecture is infrastructure but not all infrastructure is architecture, however, this infrastructure would absolutely fall under the architectural category.
User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4390
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by grovester »

normalthings wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:17 pm
grovester wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:22 am
normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pm

There is an unhealthy connection to infrastructure and public works. Its time to bulldoze the old and build new ( kemper arena, airport, broadway bridge, northloop, stadiums, etc)
Ha! How many time have we heard that refrain over the years? Folly Theater, President Hotel?

I have no problem making a rational decision once all the facts are known and options explored, but it's always about the rush, the absolute urgency of the demolition that is off-putting.

Consider it land banking, we're good at that.
I think there is a difference between architecture and infrastructure.
The developers who advocate for demolition of both don't seem to discern a difference.
User avatar
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7765
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by normalthings »

The i35 overpass was imploded? last night
Post Reply