OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:36 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:19 pmBob Kerrey (Omaha), is a 3000 ft bike-ped bridge
TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:58 pm Do they have landscaping?
As addressed in 1st comment, KC always fails at upkeep and maintenance and nothing shows that won't happen here.
I assume you're opposed to the south loop cap on those grounds? Or the Green Line proposed for the freighthouse area?
TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:58 pm Where in the river market to you get these views?
From basically any point above the river. the view actually improves towards the east..
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess
TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:58 pm The problem that exists is literally having zero attractions in the northwest corner of river market. That's a major problem, especially since modot is destroying what little was there
Umm there is more going on there than there is to the north......
Like what?
Bob Kerrey is self-described as 3.000ft. The bridge spans the river and adjacent flood plains.

South Loop is being advertised to us as something that private sector will help pay to build and pay to program/manage. There are no big drivers next to Broadway Bridge for that nor are there commitments being even rumored.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I hope they just torch that bridge and bury it in the river already so we can move on from this convo and start focusing on better priorities. Come on Q, torch it!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Why would the city have to pay anything to tear down the states bridge? If it's only 30M more to keep it, I'd keep it
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:09 pm Why would the city have to pay anything to tear down the states bridge? If it's only 30M more to keep it, I'd keep it
Can we take that $30 mil and just add an extra slab into the south loop cap rendering lol
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:09 pm Why would the city have to pay anything to tear down the states bridge? If it's only 30M more to keep it, I'd keep it
the $ 20 million might be included in the new bridge program budget?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

If this becomes a park, does that mean the Parks Dept is responsible maintenance? No thanks. Maintain what we have first.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

pick the bridge up and move it somewhere else.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Now I see that the park conversion would only retain the two southern arch spans. Would that not truly be a bridge to nowhere?
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Not if it includes a linear park that goes from the River Market, across the bridge and thru Harlem (possible redevelopment) and over the tracks to NKC. Or it could follow the River to the HOA bridge and into Northtown.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:11 pm Now I see that the park conversion would only retain the two southern arch spans. Would that not truly be a bridge to nowhere?
That was always the plan. They are going to have to bulldoze the north end of the bridge to make for the new. A new walkway could be added to the north bank.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

How to get down from the bridge and connect to what? The north span goes over the levee. The Army Corps allows no structures or paths on the levees.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:20 pm How to get down from the bridge and connect to what? The north span goes over the levee. The Army Corps allows no structures or paths on the levees.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thanks for the schematic. Is that some sort of spiral ramp on the north? Hope they have got ok from Army Corps to build on levee. Too bad years ago they did not do something like this prior to removing the auto deck on the old ASB where there was destination on either end. If this does not happen can they at least spruce up the historic Hannibal bridge as it will become more prominent? Paint it and illuminate it?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:22 pm Thanks for the schematic. Is that some sort of spiral ramp on the north? Hope they have got ok from Army Corps to build on levee. Too bad years ago they did not do something like this prior to removing the auto deck on the old ASB where there was destination on either end. If this does not happen can they at least spruce up the historic Hannibal bridge as it will become more prominent? Paint it and illuminate it?
I honestly doubt that they have gotten that far
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Can we blow this rusty looking old bridge into oblivion already
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:33 pm Can we blow this rusty looking old bridge into oblivion already
I'm starting to understand you better. You want to tear this down, but wish KCMO had that stupid Prairie Fire Museum.

Dude. You have a lot more suburbia in you than you may think.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

PS. Luckily that "museum" in Overland Park has generally failed at what it was intended to do. Steal the exhibits that go to Union Station. That's all it was built for. Well that and a reason to ask for STAR bonds (upfront cash to pay for a development of apartments and retail in an affluent suburban greenfield.)

It's nice to see that major traveling exhibits still choose Union Station. A central location, an amazing historic building, close to other attractions and major hotels. When they first announced that project, I told everybody, they would take the STAR bond money and never finish the development and the museum would never be a real museum. Looks like that's exactly what has happened.

If done right, this bridge/park could be amazing. I really don't understand why people like AlkaliAxel think the bridge is such an eyesore. You know what an eyesore is? A bunch of girder freeway bridges.

I still hope the city finds a way to save and re-purpose the bridge and doing so should trigger more of the same (levee trails, proper urban parks and recreation etc). KC still has the worst urban rec of any large city in the country. At least try to do something with the bridge. At least it's making people think of what it might be like to have some of this stuff in the city.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:09 pm PS. Luckily that "museum" in Overland Park has generally failed at what it was intended to do. Steal the exhibits that go to Union Station. That's all it was built for. Well that and a reason to ask for STAR bonds (upfront cash to pay for a development of apartments and retail in an affluent suburban greenfield.)

It's nice to see that major traveling exhibits still choose Union Station. A central location, an amazing historic building, close to other attractions and major hotels. When they first announced that project, I told everybody, they would take the STAR bond money and never finish the development and the museum would never be a real museum. Looks like that's exactly what has happened.

If done right, this bridge/park could be amazing. I really don't understand why people like AlkaliAxel think the bridge is such an eyesore. You know what an eyesore is? A bunch of girder freeway bridges.

I still hope the city finds a way to save and re-purpose the bridge and doing so should trigger more of the same (levee trails, proper urban parks and recreation etc). KC still has the worst urban rec of any large city in the country. At least try to do something with the bridge. At least it's making people think of what it might be like to have some of this stuff in the city.
Saving BOB is one of many similar proposals but at the bottom of the list when it comes to impact.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Ok LOL….I never said “build the prairie fire museum” haha.

You know that little strip outside the AMC Prairie Fire with all those shops, restaurants and of course the theatre? It’s extremely walkable and attractive. And that’s what I think KC should build.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 am
GRID wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:09 pm PS. Luckily that "museum" in Overland Park has generally failed at what it was intended to do. Steal the exhibits that go to Union Station. That's all it was built for. Well that and a reason to ask for STAR bonds (upfront cash to pay for a development of apartments and retail in an affluent suburban greenfield.)

Saving BOB is one of many similar proposals but at the bottom of the list when it comes to impact.
Agreed, but you can't do anything with it if it's torn down. If after a lot of thought and research and planning and what not, it may have to come down. But none of that was done even during the design process of the new bridge so nobody really knows. All I'm saying is don't rush to tear it down. It "could" be something really nice for downtown. If KC can't afford it, then I guess it will be removed, but at least people tried.