OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by Highlander »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:38 am
Highlander wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:19 am Probably the wrong spot for this but didn't they recently open the southbound I-35 entrance off the north loop at the south end of the Buck O'Neil Bridge? I swore I drove this just a few weeks ago. I was coming back from the northland yesterday and decided to go this direction because it's generally faster than going through downtown after coming across the HOA bridge. Closed again. Ended up in KCK yet again and had to backtrack to Broadway. Just close down the North Loop already. Every highway in DT KC was pretty busy at the time but practically nobody on the north loop. Not even sure why I-70 is routed this direction. Why not route I-70 over what is now 670 and save the 670 moniker for the North Loop and Intercity Viaduct.

Sorry for the rant but while I'm here, are there any plans to reopen the Kansas Avenue and Central Bridges over the Kansas River? Need to get our collective acts together in terms of infrastructure.
Regarding North Loop, I was told by an individual with power here that the goal is to make driving on the North Loop harder throughout this construction phase, and even after construction ends, in order to get support up for removing it.
So does the north loop removal concept include a removal of the Lewis and Clark viaduct (Intercity Viaduct)? Or would the spur from I-35 to Buck O'Neil still have the option of using the LCV? That is an artery to the Fairfax employment center (General Motors, Owings Corning and many more companies reside there).
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I don’t think you could close it after they just spent too much rebuilding the thing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:07 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:38 am
Highlander wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:19 am Probably the wrong spot for this but didn't they recently open the southbound I-35 entrance off the north loop at the south end of the Buck O'Neil Bridge? I swore I drove this just a few weeks ago. I was coming back from the northland yesterday and decided to go this direction because it's generally faster than going through downtown after coming across the HOA bridge. Closed again. Ended up in KCK yet again and had to backtrack to Broadway. Just close down the North Loop already. Every highway in DT KC was pretty busy at the time but practically nobody on the north loop. Not even sure why I-70 is routed this direction. Why not route I-70 over what is now 670 and save the 670 moniker for the North Loop and Intercity Viaduct.

Sorry for the rant but while I'm here, are there any plans to reopen the Kansas Avenue and Central Bridges over the Kansas River? Need to get our collective acts together in terms of infrastructure.
Regarding North Loop, I was told by an individual with power here that the goal is to make driving on the North Loop harder throughout this construction phase, and even after construction ends, in order to get support up for removing it.
So does the north loop removal concept include a removal of the Lewis and Clark viaduct (Intercity Viaduct)? Or would the spur from I-35 to Buck O'Neil still have the option of using the LCV? That is an artery to the Fairfax employment center (General Motors, Owings Corning and many more companies reside there).
No it would stay but not sure it's been detailed how it would connect, would depend on full removal of North Loop (less likely) or a reduction in size (more likely) - just my opinion on likeliness. A downtown ballpark may also scare the city off from total north loop closure or even more scary not bringing highway 9 down to streetlevel.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hoping this group can breath some new life into the north loop discussion. Shows the benefits of a new buck bridge to make the north loop removal possible

https://www.northloopneighbors.com/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:54 pm Hoping this group can breath some new life into the north loop discussion. Shows the benefits of a new buck bridge to make the north loop removal possible

https://www.northloopneighbors.com/
Wow, I liked that plan so much I was looking for a place on the website to donate. Best of luck to them.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Incredible work being done.

Wish them the best of luck
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Love the idea. Especially removing the dangerous on & off ramps in the North Loop. If they did that at min it would be better. However for this to really work an entire revamp of the east Loop would be necessary. Lucky there is room to do it the way it sets up now but that needs to be solved to make it work
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The ramps have been one of the drivers of this all the way back to beyond the loop study.