Downtown needs some basics now

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

With the entertainment component to be put in place, it seems that downtown now needs more basics that other neighborhoods have. People have mentioned a grocer as a major need of downtown, but what are some others?

I would like:

Half Price Books in the Crossroads
Large gyms in Crossroads, near Western Auto and in the CBD.
Music Exchange II (smaller incantation of Wesport's massive vinyl emporium)
A few vintage or consignment shops (ATC, Flush in Lawrence, and/or upscale consignment with brand names)
True art house theater in the Crossroads
Cost Plus World Market in the River Market
More contemporary chain eateries in the CBD (Baja Fresh, Chipotle, Applebee's, Houlihan's, Jason's Deli)
12th Street retail district (nothing to rival the Plaza or KC Live!; need stores like Gap, Bath and Body Works, Borders and Banana Repuplic)
24 hour drug stores near Western Auto, near the convention district, and in the River Market.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

The Hyatt has a fitness center that is open to the public, i believe. Plus Rivermarket Fitness at 3rd and Delaware, and Gold's in Westport, and the new St' Lukes fitness center going in in the new parking garge downtown.

There is an Osco, a walgreen's and Eckerds in Midtown, and a pharmacy in Crown Center.

I'm not sure that there would be a World Market in both westport and RiverMarket, that is pretty close together.

the other things you mentioned will likely be coming in the near future, especially as the entertainment district begins construction. I think one big issue with these things located in the urban core (Brush Creek to the River) is that it is so damn inconvienent to get to one place or the other without a car. If we had good public transit in the core, people would be more likely to park at one place and ride to other locations in the core.

If you don't mind driving, you really can be anywhere from the Plaza to the River in 15 minutes or less. I know that other than work related appointments, I RARELY go further south than Brush Creek, because everything I neeed can be found in the core, and at competetive prices. When it is warm enough, I use my Vespa for 90% of my transportation needs, and it only adds a few minutes to my travel time.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

What is a World Market? I've seen the building in Westport but because of thee way it looks I thought it was some sort of office building dealing with international trade.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Its like an upscale Pier One, but it also has a great wine selection from around the world, and coffees and teas and such.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

A few small Wild Oats like at 43rd/Main would be cool in the Loop, Xroads and River Market. Did they ever recover from financial problems? They were originally suppose to go into the World Market building. Garrett expansion will help. Is it a done deal that Garrett's is going near the new library?

I like WM too... great wines, and the best cheap wine glasses I've seen anywhere.

I'd like to see a Border's but with the new library opening, that is not as important as other things. Especially since I"m hoping to move across the street from the library.

Contemp quick restaurant chains are a good idea if local ones don't open. New York Burritto is already there but I prefer Mesa Wraps to that and Chipotle (can't even choose wrap types at Chipotle and the pico is not fresh). There also needs to be those cool tiny fresh delis counters you see all over NYC where you can very quickly grab a bagel with a dozen different cream cheeses, chicken wrap or salad bar.

A lot of residential units will be going online starting this year so I would hope that retail that serves the neighborhoods follows soon. Keep the touristy crap to the Live district.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

A couple 24-hour corner markets with nervous armed foreign owners.

I'd settle for that, or a 24-hour grocery store.

Also, downtown needs a real liquor store. Grand Slam Liquors' beer selection is absolutely pathetic. What they have is all fratboy gray beer, and they don't really have any room for any kind of selection. I'd like to see a Gomer's, like the one at 39th and Broadway, or a place like Westport Liquors set up somewhere downtown.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

A newer liquor chain out here is Beverages and More (BevMo). They're about the size of a grocery store and sell wine and beer from around the world as well as hard liquor, glassware and all kinds of high-end snacks. It's very popular in Calif. But someone told me that in Kansas anyway it's illegal to sell liquor and food in the same store. I think KS is only outdone by Utah in it archaic and ridiculous liquor laws.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I think a mega liquor store should be one of the last things they put in...let the neighborhoods get a little stable first.

Yes, Dan you are correct. Kansas liquor stores cannot sell anything, but liquor. It is probably one of the most useless laws I know. That chain will NEVER come to Kansas.

My mom thought they stopped making 3/2 beer, but I had to let her know that it is still sold in Kansas gas stations and grocers. It was Wy Co that pioneered the Sunday liquor sales and now they are trying to do away with the 3/2 beer law.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

DanCa wrote:But someone told me that in Kansas anyway it's illegal to sell liquor and food in the same store.
Luckily, Kansas City happens to be in Missouri.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Speaking of basics....anyone notice how many residents of the Crossroads area could use a good latheirng with SOAP AND WATER? I guess being clean wards off the creative spirit....well, that and sobriety.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

bahua wrote:
DanCa wrote:But someone told me that in Kansas anyway it's illegal to sell liquor and food in the same store.
Luckily, Kansas City happens to be in Missouri.
After 7 years of languishing in Johnson County then moving back to Missouri is was quite a culture shock finding a decent selection of wines for sale in Target and being able to buy whatever liquor I want while making Sunday grocery store runs. Praise Missouri!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

As a crossroads resident, I think we smell pretty damn nice! :P
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

We are in desperate need of a good cobbler and blacksmith. ;) :P
There is no fifth destination.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

And all the decent brothels are overrun with railroad workers and longshoremen.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Here is a KivaNet application for a street-level retail store in Library Lofts East. It is for Goodden Jewelers, which is an established downtown business that I think was located on the 2nd floor of the Bryant Building.

I don't see this generating a lot of pedestrian traffic, but at least the street-level will be that much more interesting.

KCDowntown
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

What they have is all fratboy gray beer
I just gotta ask....what exactly are you talking about?

As for beer sales on sunday in Misery...I guess that was one good thing about moving to this side? :?
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Remember the old 3.2 clubs that catered to 18 - 20 year-olds? When I turned 18, it was the last year for under 21 3.2 beer sales. I remember going into a QT to buy my first 6 pack of water beer. From what I remember, you had to be 21 in MO to drink so the KS 3.2 clubs got all the 19 - 21 year olds business.

Last year I was stranded in Dallas flying to KC. I went to a hotel and then figured I'd go get some beer from a convenience store down the street. To my surprise they didn't sell any alcohol at all. Texas is dryer than Kansas for sure.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

Neither Kansas or Tejas is as dry as the chunks of hurl being spilled in here .... JUST KIDDING!

I'm still laughing at Slappy. =D>
KC_Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown needs some basics now

Post by KC_Fan »

trailerkid wrote:
I would like:
12th Street retail district (nothing to rival the Plaza or KC Live!; need stores like Gap, Bath and Body Works...
Crown Center already has a Bath and Body Works. However, if they can afford to put multiple stores within the same mall (I saw 3 different BBW stores in a mall in Cincinnati, for crying out loud), I think they should be up to developing in any retail venture near the CBD.

:|
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC LIve is going to be all restaurants and bars (OK 4/5 as stated by Cordish).....20% will be retail like a bookstore I know was mentioned....I wouldn't expect much retail in the KC Live itself....now who knows what sprouts up from it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc