Scarritt Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Scarritt Building

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The cornice and its brackets get mentioned. They’ve become unsafe from rust and are recommended by the report to be removed
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:58 pm I thought the Hampton Inn was using that adjoining garage for their parking. I wonder where they are parking guest cars now--the 811 Main garage?
No, they only use the surface lots across 8th on Walnut/Grand.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If that garage is in such bad condition, it might require demolition, which would then be an opportunity to redevelop the parcels with something in addition to parking.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

When the Gumbel Building was slated to become condos, this was proposed

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Blight designation and "9th & Grand" PIEA area approved by committee this week (Ellington voted no). The building doesn't need rezoning, but actual incentives still need to be approved by Council once the economic analysis is complete.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... ad859ecaf6

It's a shame the revolving door of ownership has let this building get to such a condition (almost three per decade since the 70s!).
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I believe this Cushman & Wakefield sign is new. Anyone know what the Scarritt's status is?

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

The office element of the project now has a website.

https://thescarrittkc.com/
When the Scarritt Complex was purchased in the summer of 2019, Augustine Development Group, a Florida developer, assembled an experience partnership of Kansas City professionals to support the historic office space.

Aristocrat Property Management and EnCorps Partners, Kansas City experts in commercial real estate and flex office communities, are onsite to create a culture of collaboration and shared business opportunity. Well established in the business community, onsite managers specialize in marketing support and networking introductions.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Anyone know what the status is with this?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New development plan

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts

Collison reporting that the new project has been approved.

https://cityscenekc.com/covid-forces-de ... own-plans/
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I didn't see the details in the compass link (maybe pending attachment uploads), but I believe this is the current plan:

126 Residential Units, 18k sq ft commercial anticpated to be:
Restaurant in the Scarritt's 6,5000sq ft ballroom
8,000 sq ft grocery
3,500 sq ft general retail.

Construction start: spring 2021
completion: spring 2022
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Do we need another grocer downtown? 8k is small but wondering if a small market will be successful competing with Costeninos.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:25 pm Do we need another grocer downtown? 8k is small but wondering if a small market will be successful competing with Costeninos.
DGX + East Crossroads + West Crossroads + Scarrit = 4 new grovery stores coming online.

The downtown population has grown by 50% since Consentinos opened. Pre-covid, we were maybe 2-5 years away from hitting 75%. I suspect that is more than enough to support 4 smaller entrants. I just would have suspected something on the west side of Main to make more sense.

These streetcorner shops will be able to fulfill people's needs for low-margin commodities like milk and eggs. Constantino's will then have the flexibility to focus more on their prepared foods and specialty items (which I suspect have greater margins).
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I think it's good that this will become apartments instead of a hotel. More residents is a greater advantage than more temporary guests in hotel rooms imo.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Pros to either but residential occupancy has been holding steady over 94% vs much much lower for hotels. Advantage of hotels is that it generally brings in outside money into downtown and KCMO. Of course these are different times so will be surprising if hotel momentum still continues.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:59 pm The downtown population has grown by 50% since Consentinos opened.
I find this just an amazing fact. Maybe, it has more to say about the starting number, but what an amazing change so far.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Crossroads DGX is 4,800 square feet and super functional for basics, so 8,000 would have to be something grander. The average Aldi is 16,000 square feet, while the average Trader Joe's is between 8-15K.

Let's go back to arguing about the number of pizza places.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:32 pm The Crossroads DGX is 4,800 square feet and super functional for basics, so 8,000 would have to be something grander. The average Aldi is 16,000 square feet, while the average Trader Joe's is between 8-15K.

Let's go back to arguing about the number of pizza places.
Even places that aren’t “pizza places” still serve pizza. That 350% markup is just too good to resist apparently!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Scarritt is on the CPC agenda next week.
CASE # CD-CPC-2020-00197 – 9th & Grand (Scarritt) PIEA - 818 Grand Ave. – An area
of about 0.45 acres bordered by private property to the north, Walnut St to the west,
E 9th St to the south, and Grand Ave to the east to consider amending General
Development Plan (GDP) for the 9th and Grand PIEA Planning Area, and declare
the area blighted and insanitary and in need of redevelopment and rehabilitation
pursuant to the
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Construction started