Scarritt Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Scarritt Building

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:23 am Construction started
Still gonna be a grocery store attached to it?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Historic Scarritt and Crossroads Projects Seek Incentives from Port KC
A development entity called Axis KC LLC is applying for a $47 million bond to help finance the redevelopment of the historic Scarritt office tower at 818 Grand and its adjoining Arcade into 126 apartments and 25,000 square-feet of ground level commercial space.
Axis KC is seeking 25-year property tax abatement from Port KC for the project, the first 10 years at 100 percent, the remaining 15 years at 50 percent. The property would continue to pay its current property tax which would then increase in 10 years.

The developer also is applying for a sales tax exemption on construction materials.
No date has been established for when the Port KC Board of Commissioners will consider their applications.
https://cityscenekc.com/historic-scarr ... m-port-kc/
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I can't wait for this building to come alive again.

The terra cotta on this building is a work of art
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I can't wait to see how they transform the arcade into apartments, that place is wild.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Spring start, Fall 2024 completion. Ground floor restaurant.

Gonna be cool to see Scarritt & Ozark projects rehabbing simultaneously right next to eachother.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -piea.html
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Also from that article:
Port KC's development committee reviewed Augustine's incentive request on Monday but did not vote on it. The port intends to complete its analysis after Augustine meets with taxing jurisdictions, such as Kansas City Public Schools, with which the developer was scheduled to meet Tuesday.
Considering the senior policy strategist of KCPS sits on the KC Tenants board, this seems like a reaction to the Lux Living meeting. Looks like that is also what they asked Copaken to do for their Crossroads building
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Another office conversion! Keep going, KC!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://cityscenekc.com/historic-scarr ... advances/

Would love to see this building active again. One step closer after the plan was endorsed for tax incentives Monday by a Port KC committee.

The committee voted unanimously to recommend the developer, Augustine Development Group of Florida, receive a 25-year property tax break to help finance the renovation. It calls for a 100 percent reduction for 10 years, and 50 percent for 15 years.

The buildings will continue to pay the current property taxes the first 10 years. The project is expected to generate $5.6 million in property tax revenues over its 25-year life. The developer will save about $8.2 million in property taxes during that period.

In addition, Augustine Development is receiving $12.5 million in state and federal historic taxes to help finance the project.
If the full Port KC board approves the abatement, work would begin this spring with occupancy expected in Fall 2024.

The plan calls for 51 studios with monthly rents from $1,403- to $1,502; 42 one-bedrooms with rents from $1,608- to $1,663, and 33 two-bedrooms renting from $1,968 to $2,217. The project also will include 25,600 square-feet of ground floor retail.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

They mentioned a grocery store at the bottom of this article.I wonder if that's still in play.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

They are indeed in talks with grocery store tenants for the ground floor of this building, missed that in the article
In December 2020, Augustine Development revised the plan to apartments and commercial space including a grocery store.

Greiner said a grocery store is still in the works.

“We’ve been talking to quite a few grocery store tenants,” he said.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Fire trucks near the building - anyone have information on what happened?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

So, this place is just being left to rot. Here’s hoping it doesn’t burst into flames before whatever entity owns it finally decides to move

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Dave, tweet that to the Mayor.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Anyone who knows anyone, feel free to share this around. Very concerning
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:42 pm Dave, tweet that to the Mayor.
Oh, I wish it worked like that every time. Did the development fall through again?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Brian Platt replied to my tweet about the insecure building saying...
We’ve had ongoing conversations and our Neighborhoods team is working with the building owners and getting it secured today.
https://twitter.com/BrianDavidPlatt/sta ... 7410189313

If the project did fall through, I imagine someone would eye willing to take this one over. My team and I wanted to do the Temple Building catty-corner from this, but the owner was unwilling to sell and we'd be willing to take this over if need-be.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The building is back on the market and going up for auction October 16-18, 2023.

Historic Mixed-Use Redevelopment Opportunity | Downtown KC
Matthews Real Estate Investment Services™, in conjunction with, RI Marketplace, are pleased to present The Scarritt Building and Arcade (the “Property”), a prime mixed-use redevelopment opportunity in the heart of booming downtown Kansas City. Located on “main and main” at the intersection of Grand Blvd and E 9th St, the 12-story tower and adjacent 4-story arcade offers the opportunity to renovate and bring back to life 126 multifamily units plus 18,000 square feet of ground retail. The Scarritt Building will provide residents with the timeless aesthetic of early 20th century Chicago-style architecture, along with modern Class A amenities that high end renters expect.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2023-09-11

Listing

https://info.matthews.com/mf-the-scarri ... as-city-mo
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Oh come on
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

My dentist is in this building; I got a call yesterday that my upcoming appointment would have to be cancelled.

Turns that the cancellation is due to his office being without electricity for the foreseeable future because the building has an unpaid 5-figure Evergy bill.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

swid wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:07 pm My dentist is in this building; I got a call yesterday that my upcoming appointment would have to be cancelled.

Turns that the cancellation is due to his office being without electricity for the foreseeable future because the building has an unpaid 5-figure Evergy bill.
Walked by it tonight, it's sad seeing it so dark. I'd be pissed if I was an office tenant here.