Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Post by Midtownkid »

Oh no! With the renovation of the El Torreon and all the other activity over there, this seems like a prime place for a new apartment building with more restaurant patios etc. What a waste of real estate.
Last edited by Midtownkid on Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I always thought that was a strange location for a plumbing fittings distributor warehouse.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Kansas City: Capital of Transit-Accessible Storage Space
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if some other storage place has been/was purchased along the streetcar line and they are moving to this site?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

The Made In KC Cafe was sold and will become a location for Prefix Coffee
Hammersmith
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hammersmith »

Midtownkid wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:08 am Oh no! With the renovation of the El Torreon and all the other activity over there, this seems like a prime place for a new apartment building with more restaurant patios etc. What a waste of real estate.
Honestly with the El Torreon news, it's maybe a silver lining that there will be fewer residents sixty feet from the concert venue who will complain about the noise until it's forced to close.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I wonder why we don’t have special regulations in the city for storage places? They always seem to be on prime pieces of real estate and end up being a speed bump on walkable development. I’m thinking of the spots at Armour & main, Main &31st and others.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The newer locations of storage places are a puzzle. However, the older multi-story ones like Linwood and Main, Troost and Armour, and Benton and Independence Avenue were built on streetcar lines when there were fewer cars. People often didn't have the storage in their homes that they do now. As odd as it sounds now, people swapped wardrobes in winter and summer and moved the out-of-season wardrobe to storage because they didn't have closets (or very small ones) in many houses and apartments and kept their clothes in armoires and chests of drawers only. Storage along streetcar lines was useful because that is how many people got around. Essentially, they were renting off-season closets at these places.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I assumed the older ones were document storage before modern use of computers. Interesting about clothes storage though.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:51 am I assumed the older ones were document storage before modern use of computers. Interesting about clothes storage though.
https://www.allamericanstoragereno.com/ ... -in-closet
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

iamrealz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:52 am
iamrealz wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:22 pm
SHPNeighbor wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:51 am

Anyone heard any updates on this project? The existing property doesn't look like any sort of demolition has started.

On the flip side, I see workers at the Aines Dairy project moving this along on schedule.
I don't have any insider knowledge, but the ordinance vacating the alley and the stamped plans were upload to compass on 5/22/23. Garrison updated the page linked above with new construction dates: (August 15, 2023 – completion October 2024). So there may be some hope?
New Biz Journal story says - Construction will start in mid-September on the Levy at Martini Corner and wrap up in December 2024.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... surge.html
Pre-demolition and a few utility cutoff permits were issued this week for the Levy/506 E 31st.
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

Construction fences have been put up for the Levy project at 31st and Gillham. Good to see this taking the first visible step of progress.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Anyone have drawings or a rendering of this project? I'm curious what the ground floor looks like (as always).
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

smh wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:28 am Anyone have drawings or a rendering of this project? I'm curious what the ground floor looks like (as always).
These are from October 2020, but from what I can tell, there haven't been any updated plans released:

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:20 am
smh wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:28 am Anyone have drawings or a rendering of this project? I'm curious what the ground floor looks like (as always).
These are from October 2020, but from what I can tell, there haven't been any updated plans released:
Thanks!
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The Levy, Aines Dairy, and NortPoint/Park Reserve projects were all brought up at last night's Union Hill neighborhood association meeting.

While nothing new (at least to anyone on here) was mentioned, it was pointed out that there will be a total of 586 new apartments along/near 31st between Baltimore and Gillham by 2025.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Coming down rapidly. Have such mixed emotions, glad to see that allowed to blight corner that besmirched the entire neighborhood to come down. Sad to see a good brick and terra cotta building lost. Incorporating in would have made a finer grained development. Almost any pre WWII building is better than current Paint Your Wagon, No Name City construction.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

swid wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:34 pm ...there will be a total of 586 new apartments along/near 31st between Baltimore and Gillham by 2025.
WOW. That is incredible.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:29 pm The building at 3122-40 Gillham Plaza is to be turned into a self storage place. What a loser of a project.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 3dcca46ae9
This is on the CPC docket for next Tuesday. The staff recommends denial, so there is still hope that we see a better use for this building.

It don't see the record of the sale of this building on the county website, so perhaps it is still pending and pushback from CPC could kill the deal. It seemed like Exact might have been interested in this building. I would much rather see them do something with it.