Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Post by Critical_Mass »

Does anyone know what is happening on the west side of Oak, behind the recently renovated building that will house the Made In KC flagship and other tenants? It is filled with containers stacked in unusual ways and there is a roof structure like you'd see at a garden nursery. It looks like they're putting together a container village or something, maybe like Iron District, but I have not heard anything.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:56 am Does anyone know what is happening on the west side of Oak, behind the recently renovated building that will house the Made In KC flagship and other tenants? It is filled with containers stacked in unusual ways and there is a roof structure like you'd see at a garden nursery. It looks like they're putting together a container village or something, maybe like Iron District, but I have not heard anything.
You mention that project, but could it perhaps be this? The rendering shows some 2-story shipping container buildings. This is on the east side of Oak.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ne ... loper-says
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Here are some pics from last weekend:

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:51 am
Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:56 am Does anyone know what is happening on the west side of Oak, behind the recently renovated building that will house the Made In KC flagship and other tenants? It is filled with containers stacked in unusual ways and there is a roof structure like you'd see at a garden nursery. It looks like they're putting together a container village or something, maybe like Iron District, but I have not heard anything.
You mention that project, but could it perhaps be this? The rendering shows some 2-story shipping container buildings. This is on the east side of Oak.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ne ... loper-says
All of these sound like good steps but the stretch needs to transition from a bar/eats district to more mixed neighborhood amenities and target what W39th has become as housing density improves - primarily a neighborhood that can also draw from rest of city. Maybe that is the plan? Container buildings are maybe not a great fit for this area but in the long run can change to something else when it makes sense.
KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCKev2 »

I believe it is the assembly area for this project:

https://fox4kc.com/news/developer-pitch ... ghborhood/
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCKev2 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:13 pm I believe it is the assembly area for this project:

I would be very surprised if that was the case since that site is a mile and a half away
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

I live close and was told it was just a staging area for a project in another neighborhood.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:03 pm
KCKev2 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:13 pm I believe it is the assembly area for this project:

I would be very surprised if that was the case since that site is a mile and a half away
permits appear to support it
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Introducing The Black Pantry—An Eclectic Blend of Products From Black-Owned Companies and Brands

https://www.inkansascity.com/style-shop ... nd-brands/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Exact Partners hopes to knit together 31st, Gillham block with apartments, event space
Exact Partners LLC is partnering with MSG Investments of Prairie Village to kick off a mixed-use conversion of the Aines Farm Dairy Building at 3130 Gillham Road.

Starting in the fall, the joint venture seeks to build 52 studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments and an approximately 10,000-square-foot neighborhood grocery store in the building, to be renamed the Aines Dairy Lofts.
Updates regarding other nearby Exact Partners projects...
Concurrently, Exact will carry out several upgrades around four commercial establishments it owns at Martini Corner, 31st Street and Gillham. In September 2019, the partnership of Denver developer Ilan Salzberg and Kansas City architect Caleb Buland acquired a row of retail properties in a $2.65 million multiparcel sale, according to Jackson County property records.

Exact now is revisiting plans for 3,844 square feet of elevated outdoor patio space with catwalks connected in front of the Brick House KC, Sol Cantina and Cliff's Taphouse restaurants. A yard game terrace also would top a new covered patio to be built behind Brick House KC.

Two small two-story retail buildings are planned along the row — conceptualized as a drive-thru coffee and salon behind Brick House KC, and spin and yoga studios behind Sol Cantina, across from Hitch Fit Gym.
More about the proposed event space...
And catty-corner to the businesses, southeast of 31st and Gillham, Exact seeks to partner with Create Church, the owners of the El Torreon building, for an event space renovation in the 1927 building.

The venue hosted large dances and jazz ensembles in the 1930s and '40s; a roller-skating rink in the '50s and '60s; rock 'n' roll acts like Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa and Van Morrison in the 1970s; and hardcore punk gigs in the '90s and 2000s. The two-story building can be rented for weddings, business gatherings, and art and music shows.

Exact's pitch would see El Torreon's upper ballroom renovated to support those uses, as well as a focus on local and national music tours. The building's lower level would see five new small business incubator spaces.
Other bits of information. I didnt know Exact's involvement in the area was so extensive.
Buland said Exact's new projects, plus its 2019 multifamily conversion of an endangered Acme Cleansing Co. building at 3200 Gillham, will bring his firm to about $45 million invested in the Union Hill area. The Aines Dairy Lofts and nearby restaurant upgrades will help forge a walkable district, with daytime business conventions and speakers at the future event space able to gin up traffic for existing businesses on 31st Street, he said.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rreon.html

Renderings of the project...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:25 pm Exact Partners hopes to knit together 31st, Gillham block with apartments, event space
Exact Partners LLC is partnering with MSG Investments of Prairie Village to kick off a mixed-use conversion of the Aines Farm Dairy Building at 3130 Gillham Road.

Starting in the fall, the joint venture seeks to build 52 studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments and an approximately 10,000-square-foot neighborhood grocery store in the building, to be renamed the Aines Dairy Lofts.
History of that building.

http://midtownkcpost.com/gillham-buildi ... -milk-day/
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What happened with velvet freeze?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The last news on it was that the building would be demolished for a new project.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21085&p=613453&hil ... ze#p613453
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

FangKC wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:53 pm The last news on it was that the building would be demolished for a new project.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21085&p=613453&hil ... ze#p613453
Thanks
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Well, this seems pretty promising. I hope the "neighborhood grocery store" materializes. It seems like 50% of developments dangle some sort of grocery/market that almost never comes to fruition.

I wonder if they are going to get control of that car wash to the south of this. I would be surprised if they are not trying hard to buy it. I thought after the Acme redevelopment that intersection might clean up, but the car wash still seems to attract a lot of vagrants/shady activity.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:25 pm
More about the proposed event space...
And catty-corner to the businesses, southeast of 31st and Gillham, Exact seeks to partner with Create Church, the owners of the El Torreon building, for an event space renovation in the 1927 building.
Exact's pitch would see El Torreon's upper ballroom renovated to support those uses, as well as a focus on local and national music tours. The building's lower level would see five new small business incubator spaces.
I hope this partnership results in development of those parking lots on the south side of 31st Street and along Gillham Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0701557 ... !1e3?hl=en
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There is a proposal to build 18 townhomes (slated to be rentals) on the vacant lots on Oak St, between 31st and Linwood. This was most recently the shipping container staging area.

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:05 am There is a proposal to build 18 townhomes (slated to be rentals) on the vacant lots on Oak St, between 31st and Linwood. This was most recently the shipping container staging area.

I like the idea of townhomes but those are really suburban looking
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

design seems pretty urban to me. like them
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I like the fact that the garages are in the rear, but I agree that the overall aesthetic is a bit bleh. It is generally what to expect from NSPJ. It is still early on, so perhaps there could be some revisions to improve things. I do like the large windows/amount of glass.