Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Post by Cratedigger »

Awesome. Mammoth brings good shows and an independent, local group makes a lot of sense for this venue. Rooting for it and can't wait to see a show there in a few years
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:00 pm Awesome. Mammoth brings good shows and an independent, local group makes a lot of sense for this venue. Rooting for it and can't wait to see a show there in a few years
Same thoughts. Best KC development news I've heard in a while, really hope it comes to fruition to anchor that neighborhood.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The area bars and restaurants will benefit a lot from people attending events there.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Finally they break the news! The team at Mammoth has been planning this for some time now.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I was confused when they said they haven't hosted concerts since 1974. Then I read "in the 1990s and early 2000s, El Torreon’s first floor was a semi-legal home for the local underground music scene". News to me. Could have sworn I saw the Butt Hole Surfers and Flaming Lips there in '88 but my memory isn't reliable.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I have to admit that I haven't been the new Record Bar location (I know, it's not really "new") but I wonder if this would be a better location that would allow larger shows, perhaps a partnership with the new developer?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I saw a show there in 2007, bizarre.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:05 pm I have to admit that I haven't been the new Record Bar location (I know, it's not really "new") but I wonder if this would be a better location that would allow larger shows, perhaps a partnership with the new developer?
Mammoth books Crossroads KC and the Granada in LFK... they will book some AMAZING shows at El Torreon, watch
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

daGOAT wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:23 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:05 pm I have to admit that I haven't been the new Record Bar location (I know, it's not really "new") but I wonder if this would be a better location that would allow larger shows, perhaps a partnership with the new developer?
Mammoth books Crossroads KC and the Granada in LFK... they will book some AMAZING shows at El Torreon, watch
Ok, good to know. A good venue is only as good as its promotion and booking. The Uptown Theatre used to get great shows but have been really terrible lately. If Mammoth books Crossroads and Granada, this could be a chance for them to continue booking similar shows through the winter. Exciting stuff!
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:27 pm
Ok, good to know. A good venue is only as good as its promotion and booking. The Uptown Theatre used to get great shows but have been really terrible lately. If Mammoth books Crossroads and Granada, this could be a chance for them to continue booking similar shows through the winter. Exciting stuff!
Don't know what you're talking about on the Uptown, they've had a great last year with more to come. I think I've got tickets to like 3 upcoming shows there & I rarely go to concerts.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

TheSmokinPun wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:30 pm Don't know what you're talking about on the Uptown, they've had a great last year with more to come. I think I've got tickets to like 3 upcoming shows there & I rarely go to concerts.
American Idol era has-beens and tribute bands is all I see. I honestly haven't been to that venue for several years but the last time I was there the sound was so God-awful I vowed never to go back. It was like they couldn't figure out proper levels, so they just pushed them all to the max. Midland seems to be taking some of their usual acts (The Smile coming July 19th).
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:16 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:30 pm Don't know what you're talking about on the Uptown, they've had a great last year with more to come. I think I've got tickets to like 3 upcoming shows there & I rarely go to concerts.
American Idol era has-beens and tribute bands is all I see. I honestly haven't been to that venue for several years but the last time I was there the sound was so God-awful I vowed never to go back. It was like they couldn't figure out proper levels, so they just pushed them all to the max. Midland seems to be taking some of their usual acts (The Smile coming July 19th).
In October I'm hyped for Polyphia and Kevin Gates. Idk if either fall into that category
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I feel the way you do about the Midland. Throwing money at every hip hop act that isn't exactly worth anything has done long term damage to their speakers, which they refuse to replace. Meanwhile, September & October at the Uptown is great, plus I feel like they've invested a little bit of money into it recently, was in much better shape than the last few times I've been.

Plus, I feel like it compliments the neighborhood more by being part of it, rather than the Midland demanding the neighborhood be around it. Uptown doesn't need a garage, a parking lot, all those little things we require in this city that just adds more money to the final cost + creates spaces safe for scared suburbanites that we can take or leave.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

TheSmokinPun wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:49 amMeanwhile, September & October at the Uptown is great, plus I feel like they've invested a little bit of money into it recently, was in much better shape than the last few times I've been.
Ok, I’m being old and set in my ways. I’m going to break my boycott of the Uptown and give them another shot. What tickets should I buy?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:49 am
TheSmokinPun wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:49 amMeanwhile, September & October at the Uptown is great, plus I feel like they've invested a little bit of money into it recently, was in much better shape than the last few times I've been.
Ok, I’m being old and set in my ways. I’m going to break my boycott of the Uptown and give them another shot. What tickets should I buy?
I mean what do you like? Feel free to PM. Here Come The Mummies and Post Sex Nachos (KC local band that's on the rise) should be a fun time
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:49 am
I've been grumpy about the Uptown for a long time too, but the prospect of Los Lobos, Taj Mahal, and North Mississippi Allstars on one bill in September was too much for me to resist. Also, they have a real box office so I could pick up the tix there and avoid the Ticketmaster extortion.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:27 pm
I feel confident there will be many great shows in the future for this building!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:51 pm I was confused when they said they haven't hosted concerts since 1974. Then I read "in the 1990s and early 2000s, El Torreon’s first floor was a semi-legal home for the local underground music scene". News to me. Could have sworn I saw the Butt Hole Surfers and Flaming Lips there in '88 but my memory isn't reliable.
I used to see punk and hardcore shows there pretty regularly in the late 90s and early 00s. Didn't even realize it was "semi-legal".
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:41 pm
In October I'm hyped for Polyphia and Kevin Gates. Idk if either fall into that category
Whoa a Kevin Gates fan on this board. Not something I'd thought I would see!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The building at 3122-40 Gillham Plaza is to be turned into a self storage place. What a loser of a project.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 3dcca46ae9