Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Post by moderne »

Would be easy to add some variety to the facade details, varying materials, change out some gables for dormers, etc. Ground is already cleared and level. What will be the sales price? Probably around 400?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

moderne wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:48 pm Would be easy to add some variety to the facade details, varying materials, change out some gables for dormers, etc. Ground is already cleared and level. What will be the sales price? Probably around 400?
Yep. Wish they were more Quality Hill
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1019502 ... 384!8i8192
and less Beacon Hill
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0817954 ... 384!8i8192
but overall it seems like a solid addition.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

There's a single-topic Union Hill neighborhood association meeting tomorrow evening:

"The purpose of this special community meeting is to share with you a plan for proposed traffic improvements along 31st St, Main St, and Gillham Rd. The vision is to create a more walkable and pedestrian friendly neighborhood."

---

With Gillham already having the cycle track in place and the plans for Main laid out via streetcar expansion, I assume the only thing that will be remotely new information are the plans for 31st - and that will almost certainly be some flavor of road diet.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Status update on the renovation of the El Torreon. It starts about minute 3:30.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?re ... 0083508564
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 1DFY5dw2eg

3122-3140 Gillham Plaza Warehouse for sale. 126k sq ft $8m. 2.8 acres.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like the first steps of re-making Martini Corner may be starting. An application for the rooftop deck at Sol Cantina has been submitted:

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo

Final Plat for Levy at Martini Corner was also submitted.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The owners of El Torreon, one of Kansas City’s most iconic music venues, have big plans for renovating it

https://kansascitymag.com/news/the-owne ... vating-it/
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:05 am There is a proposal to build 18 townhomes (slated to be rentals) on the vacant lots on Oak St, between 31st and Linwood. This was most recently the shipping container staging area.

I noticed yesterday that these lots are being graded, so it looks like work is getting close to starting on these. Parcel Viewer has a flurry of activity on the lots recently; 31Oak is now being described as having 16 townhouses.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Public Works is having a meeting at Tower Tavern (6 PM, June 15) about 31st Street traffic improvements - RSVP form link.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

swid wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:21 pm Public Works is having a meeting at Tower Tavern (6 PM, June 15) about 31st Street traffic improvements - RSVP form link.
Work starts in the next 4 weeks!
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

This is awesome news after putting up with construction for so long.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

After being quiet for a while, the renovation work at Sol Cantina has picked up pace in the past week or two, but as the interior is still being framed, I'm guessing it's still a few months away from reopening in any capacity. Also...the grand plans for remaking it and Brick House aren't getting a whole lot of love from the city.

Also...there was a work crew pulling kitchen equipment out from the former Bond's Chicken & Blues building this morning; that's the first time I've noticed any activity there.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Hearing rumors and seeing indicators that 3114 Holmes and 620 Linwood will be renovated soon! Personally I think 620 Linwood is a GREAT candidate for housing.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There was a proposal for 620 Linwood a little over 2 years ago. I believe it was to be renovated into offices.

Since things had gone quiet on that front (maybe COVID related) I figured that project might be dead. I wonder if this is the same plan, or something new?
Hammersmith
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hammersmith »

620 Linwood is owned by a slumlord with a largeish portfolio in the city. His properties are listed for sale well over what they're worth, he's content to let them sit empty; or he leases them as-is. There's no way he'd renovate that building on his own dime. If it moves, it's because someone else has bought it, or because a tenant is planning to rehab it.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I thought it was oner by SquareOneStudio. They are based in the building adjacent to the north and purchased it a couple years ago. I believe the plan was for them to expand into part of that building, and the rest would be offices.

I don't know anything about the owner of that company, is he also a slumlord? I believe they also own a few surface lots/vacant lots around that building, but I'm not personally aware of anything else they own.
Hammersmith
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hammersmith »

Ah? Honestly it's possible Square bought it. The ad on Loopnet says it's a Hershewe property, but maybe that's out of date.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

SquareOne confirmed. Not slumlords.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The Levy development has a new financing and is expected to start in December or January, with completion by April 2024:

New equity partner gives Martini Corner plan a shot at starting soon
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... pital.html

Also,

Aines Dairy Loft Project on Gillham Begins, Summer 2023 Opening
https://cityscenekc.com/aines-dairy-lof ... 3-opening/

The Superior Linen properties remain on the market. I'm not sure if this is a recent change, but I just noticed that the marketing materials for these property also show the rest of the Superior owned properties as being "Available Phase II". I don't see any details on terms or when this might be available.

There is a ton of potential there with all of these Superior properties. I would especially love to see the large silver-painted brick building along 31st St restored/redeveloped. It seems like it could be a fantastic building.