13th and Grand tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kc-nyc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: 13th and Grand tower

Post by kc-nyc »

earthling wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:45 pm Welcome to the rag. Very nice design, great effort. Many would probably find it a bit tall and minimizes rest of skyline but a bit taller than KCOne Place would be a great fit.
Completely agree with you. If I started over again I would have kept it much closer to 1KCP. I'd love to see the balance of the skyline shift to the east a bit in the future so that it doesn't look so desolate from westbound I-70 into DT. Then something of this height would fit much better.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It actually doesn't look too out of place in the angles you shared (especially when compared to the Devon Tower). Having just been to London, the Shard does stand out but as the city develops, it's starting to not look so out of place. Great job!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

kc-nyc wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:22 pm Long time reader, first time posting. I thought I would share a concept I've been playing around with for a while.
Awesome designs! What programs did you use to make these images?
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Looks great. Probably would cost around $400 - 700 million from an ambitious New York/Chicago developer. Can't even imagine the BS a developer would have to go through to get this behemoth approved. KCTenants would probably riot if incentives were granted for this lol. However, it really does show just how outdated and stagnant the skyline is save for a few recent mid-rises. No high-rise from the 21st century. Sad.

Now include the following
- 3Light
- 4Light
- 5Light
- Strata
- Sky & Cordish Towers
- Royals Stadium w/condo attachment
- KCPS HQ site (proposed to be around 30 floors or more)
- Something creative for the Hotel Bravo and 1650 sites
- 14th and Wyandotte Tower/ex-Bravicci site (supposedly around 40 floors when proposed)
kc-nyc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kc-nyc »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:40 pm
kc-nyc wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:22 pm Long time reader, first time posting. I thought I would share a concept I've been playing around with for a while.
Awesome designs! What programs did you use to make these images?
Rhino for the 3d model and rendered in Enscape.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

trexel94 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:30 pm Looks great. Probably would cost around $400 - 700 million from an ambitious New York/Chicago developer. Can't even imagine the BS a developer would have to go through to get this behemoth approved. KCTenants would probably riot if incentives were granted for this lol. However, it really does show just how outdated and stagnant the skyline is save for a few recent mid-rises. No high-rise from the 21st century. Sad.

Now include the following
- 3Light
- 4Light
- 5Light
- Strata
- Sky & Cordish Towers
- Royals Stadium w/condo attachment
- KCPS HQ site (proposed to be around 30 floors or more)
- Something creative for the Hotel Bravo and 1650 sites
- 14th and Wyandotte Tower/ex-Bravicci site (supposedly around 40 floors when proposed)
Not sad. Infill development is 100x more important. Surface lots are the saddest thing about downtown.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Plus, the last two decades of development in downtown Kansas City have really been focused on laying the groundwork for new construction. Think about it. The last 20 years have seen most of the abandoned buildings downtown brought back to life as residential and/or hotel usages. There still are a few vacant buildings, but they’re relatively small and easy to handle at this point. Each previous renovation + the Power and Light District, made downtown more and more vibrant. Soon you’ll start to see this foundation work paying off regardless if KCTenants has a stroke or not. The ball is rolling now and things are played with behind the scenes a whole lot.

A trophy tower will one day come in downtown KC, and that day is probably somewhere on the near horizon.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

This is nowhere near as cool as what kc-nyc put together, but I was just playing around and made this. I shamelessly stole AI generated images from this reddit post.... (https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... rated_art/)
......and edited them into the KC skyline. I positioned them purely off my personal tastes, so their positions probably don't entirely make sense. I also wanted the skyline recentered roughly halfway between the P&L building and City Hall. I chose these particular towers because I enjoyed how they continued KC's tradition of classic ziggurat-topped skyscrapers while still looking futuristic.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Last corner of 13 Grand block not owned by Copaken is for sale
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

In combination with the old KCPS block to the east...

"To the west, Copaken targets an additional $35 million investment with 85,000 square feet of office and 8,500 retail square feet of retail northeast of 13th Street and Grand Boulevard, where it controls the majority of properties on the 2.3-acre block."

Copaken targets $335M in mixed-use investment on blocks north of T-Mobile Center
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... fices.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wonder where the baseball stadium is going lol
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Hope this actually happens! I'm cautiously optimistic considering how long they've had to develop this lot and the Strata deal that fell apart.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

This proposal for this lot seems a lot more feasible in the short term. Hopefully if they do have something short-ish here they are able to plan the structure to support going vertical at a later date?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

RIP Law Building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

missingkc