OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by DColeKC »

From a conversation I had with one of the persons most responsible for attracting KC conventions is his frustration with the city. They’ll allow 16k in arrowhead but won’t allow 150 in a large space made for 3000. Said he’s had interest from companies wanting to do in-person, socially distanced conferences but the city won’t approve anything.

This is also holding them back from getting things on the books later in the year. He is optimistic that full blown conventions will be back and that virtual options will only have a minor impact long term.

According to several studies over the last decade, most people learn better in person. So while as a company you may save a bunch on travel and accommodations, what’s the point if your employees walk away with nothing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They will for sure allow it. It just has to have a plan approved by Health. Most meeting planners just don't want to do it. Arrowhead did.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:47 am He is optimistic that full blown conventions will be back and that virtual options will only have a minor impact long term.

According to several studies over the last decade, most people learn better in person. So while as a company you may save a bunch on travel and accommodations, what’s the point if your employees walk away with nothing.
Not surprising a convention proponent would be optimistic, not exactly an unbiased assessment. And like any position, those a proponent for one format will point to studies that support their position, and you can find studies that support any position. And many of those studies are sponsored by a proponent for a certain position. Do a search on 'are online classes effective' and will find there are just as many studies that claim they are vs aren't.

A better measure is looking at whether a new trend sticks or not. Online courses never went away and more did remote learning before COVID than 10 years ago. Most anything that tech industry focuses on tends to eventually have an impact. In my last two workplaces, computer-based learning completely replaced classroom/instructor format, especially HR-related and company training - also cut travel for instructor to many sites. There's a focus on virtual conferences now, the tech/production/procedures will get better over time, the degree of impact is the question. Ditto with advancing WFH tech/processes and its long term impact on office space.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:40 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:47 am He is optimistic that full blown conventions will be back and that virtual options will only have a minor impact long term.

Not surprising a convention proponent would be optimistic, not exactly an unbiased assessment.
That feels like targetting after a number of said the samething before hand
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:19 am They will for sure allow it. It just has to have a plan approved by Health. Most meeting planners just don't want to do it. Arrowhead did.
They have denied hundreds if not thousands of plans far less risky than arrowhead. The Chiefs are the superstars of our city. The process to apply is insanely easy, I’ve done it and been denied.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:40 am

Not surprising a convention proponent would be optimistic, not exactly an unbiased assessment. And like any position, those a proponent for one format will point to studies that support their position, and you can find studies that support any position. And many of those studies are sponsored by a proponent for a certain position. Do a search on 'are online classes effective' and will find there are just as many studies that claim they are vs aren't.

A better measure is looking at whether a new trend sticks or not. Online courses never went away and more did remote learning before COVID than 10 years ago. Most anything that tech industry focuses on tends to eventually have an impact. In my last two workplaces, computer-based learning completely replaced classroom/instructor format, especially HR-related and company training - also cut travel for instructor to many sites. There's a focus on virtual conferences now, the tech/production/procedures will get better over time, the degree of impact is the question. Ditto with advancing WFH tech/processes and its long term impact on office space.
He’s not just a proponent of conventions but someone with 32 years experience in the tourism and hospitality industry and the head guy in charge. Sure he’s optimistic but this wasn’t a interview. It was a personal conversation over some drinks and he had no need to BS.

Sure, it will take a hit but the tourism and convention world will get back to pre-Covid figures at some point. Can you image, you shred your employees office space and make them work from home, now they get to take a few days off work to...... stay at home and attend a conference!!! How lovely and inspiring. Suicidal rate up, productivity down.

Also the studies I’ve read have no skin in the game. Of course a study done by a university is going to say people learn better in person.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Fair enough, which is why I then said rather than look at studies or individual assessments, take a look at actual trends after big tech decides to focus on it. There's almost always notable impact.

And experts can still be overly optimistic with no intent to BS.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

So no one has been paying attention to the difference in risk between indoor and outdoor events?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:18 pm So no one has been paying attention to the difference in risk between indoor and outdoor events?
That was what I was about to say. Indoor events are multiple times more risky than outdoor.

But I'm sure it's just out of spite that the city is turning people down.&
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:18 pm So no one has been paying attention to the difference in risk between indoor and outdoor events?
I've had 250 person events in 28,000sqft outdoors turned down. One event was denied because they wanted to have a DJ, but the city said that would cause people to want to "party". WTF do you think a Chiefs game is? I have clients who have had 150 person events turned down indoors with over 10,000sqft available to use for no reason given.

No one mentioned trying to do the same amount of people the Chiefs are doing at Arrowhead indoors.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

So no one has been paying attention to the difference in positive air pressure commercial buildings and recirculating air houses?

A positive air pressure commercial space is no riskier than an outdoor space. It essentially IS an outdoor space, with additional filtration.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Most of you are missing a lot of details that these conferences have to consider.

1) when you get above a certain amount of people for an event, they do things outside of that event that will still cause problems that they can’t control. Health department cares about this

2) the company can’t control this, and most large gatherings right now are attracting now a crowd that cares significantly about health. Show me your liability waiver please

3) pr obviously. No one wants to be labeled as spreading Covid

4) you have to be able to fill up events. While there are certain people that won’t wear masks and places that won’t enforce them, they don’t tend to be urban cities or people with disposable income to spend in a way that the city would appreciate.

Also, it’s cold and we’re all stuck inside. Just wait a few more months
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:59 am Most of you are missing a lot of details that these conferences have to consider.

Also, it’s cold and we’re all stuck inside. Just wait a few more months
That’s the issue, they’re not working a few weeks out, they’re trying to secure events and conferences for summer and fall.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I guess I get the frustration but does anybody really believe KCMO government doesn't want as many groups/events as possible? Restaurants open full bore? We're living a pandemic here folks, it sucks. Nobody likes it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:30 am I guess I get the frustration but does anybody really believe KCMO government doesn't want as many groups/events as possible? Restaurants open full bore? We're living a pandemic here folks, it sucks. Nobody likes it.
There’s proven ways to have events and gatherings safely. There’s states that are essentially wide open and doing well and even better than some states with very strict guidelines and lockdowns in place.

I think the Mayor is first and foremost drunk on power and out to satisfy his base.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:34 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:30 am I guess I get the frustration but does anybody really believe KCMO government doesn't want as many groups/events as possible? Restaurants open full bore? We're living a pandemic here folks, it sucks. Nobody likes it.
There’s proven ways to have events and gatherings safely. There’s states that are essentially wide open and doing well and even better than some states with very strict guidelines and lockdowns in place.

I think the Mayor is first and foremost drunk on power and out to satisfy his base.
LOL. He's most likely listening to his Health Department and that Health Department is relying on a variety of data sources, some of which might not be super specific to Kansas City (since we -- and the state -- suck at contact tracing for lack of funding). Contact tracing is how you determine which things to restrict, and since you can't restrict people's private homes you have to focus where you can make an impact.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I’d like some sources for that
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:09 pm

I’d like some sources for that
Which part?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:49 pm

LOL. He's most likely listening to his Health Department and that Health Department is relying on a variety of data sources, some of which might not be super specific to Kansas City (since we -- and the state -- suck at contact tracing for lack of funding). Contact tracing is how you determine which things to restrict, and since you can't restrict people's private homes you have to focus where you can make an impact.
I'm not saying I completely disagree with how he's handled everything. I'd be saying the exact same thing if we had a republican mayor and most of the city was open with minimal restrictions. To imagine they don't make most moves with votes and voters in mind is ignorant.

I believe he's been a bit too strict and hasn't listened to the professional advice he's received from members of certain communities and businesses. Obviously medical folks will always error on the side of caution.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Health isn't a political pawn. Thank goodness he isn't relying on the restaurant biz for health guidance.