OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by GRID »

Link2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:37 am KC metro finished January in the mid-30s for occupancy. Downtown lower than that; which is to be expected right now.
But is that taking into account major properties that are not even open?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sheraton is/was the only property not open to guests. DT Marriott closed for a couple weeks I think
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

earthling wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:16 pm Yeah given that most downtown hotels are more dependent on events and suburban interstate hotels are doing better with road travelers, not surprising downtown is lower than metro. But not great that metro is performing below US avg - although Jan will be lower in most winter areas that aren't winter destinations, compared to warmer part of US.

Was thinking before COVID hit that downtown might be approaching overbuilt territory. Won't be too surprising if some either sit idle and sell over time or convert to some form of residential.
Exactly. Downtown is much more dependent on business/group travel, as well as those large events at the Convention Center and T-Mobile Center for example. And for the leisure traveler that's historically been attracted to staying either Downtown, Crown Center, Plaza, etc. those demand drivers that would normally bring them here have been greatly diminished/eliminated during these times.

But on a slightly positive note, KC's Central Business District -- more expansive than Downtown/Crown Center -- performed at or near the top of most hotel metrics compared to similar U.S. markets. With the easing of certain restrictions just recently being announced, that performance will only continue to improve.
Last edited by Link2 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:22 pm Sheraton is/was the only property not open to guests. DT Marriott closed for a couple weeks I think
I was just wondering. Trying to get an idea of how bad hotels are doing. I still see a lot of hotels that are closed, not just in KC. I think hotels will come roaring back to normal, it's probably just another year out though.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:41 pm
Link2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:37 am KC metro finished January in the mid-30s for occupancy. Downtown lower than that; which is to be expected right now.
But is that taking into account major properties that are not even open?
Yeah, the data takes into account all closed properties (whether temporary or permanent) such as Sheraton CC, Aladdin, Holiday Inn Plaza, Adam's Mark. Also during the height of hotels suspending operations on an interim basis that we witnessed beginning last April (Marriott, 21c, Crossroads, Embassy Suites Plaza, etc.), all those properties were removed from the data for those specific periods of time.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:38 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:22 pm Sheraton is/was the only property not open to guests. DT Marriott closed for a couple weeks I think
I was just wondering. Trying to get an idea of how bad hotels are doing. I still see a lot of hotels that are closed, not just in KC. I think hotels will come roaring back to normal, it's probably just another year out though.
South Florida is running like 95%+ right now. Convention hotels are predictably really really really bad.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

Those resort & beach destinations have been pretty resilient (by comparison) throughout; especially those drive markets located relatively close to a significant percentage of people. State and local restrictions in those respective markets have also played a large role.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:37 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:38 pm
South Florida is running like 95%+ right now. Convention hotels are predictably really really really bad.
Most of the Florida hotspots are also killing it at the short term condo rental game too. I have one friend who owns 5 condos and they've all been rented for months with hardly time in between to clean and prepare for the next guests.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Hotel packed tonight along with many of the others downrown. Great to see visitors and $$$ glowing downtown again
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Outdoor dining is 1,000 times nicer with the highway closed. The highway cap will do wonders for this part of downtown.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Looming over the closed highway.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:22 pm Hotel packed tonight along with many of the others downrown. Great to see visitors and $$$ glowing downtown again
Hotel business is doing well.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

great news, and as the summer goes on more people traveling and business travel starting to pick up again as well. July & AUG shaping up to be when a lot of businesses will start having people return to the office, but also allowing for flex work as well. But should see office activity in downtown start to increase over the next few months
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:24 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:22 pm Hotel packed tonight along with many of the others downrown. Great to see visitors and $$$ glowing downtown again
Anyone have occupancy numbers? Sheraton opening back up might have some impact.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Huge volleyball tournament in town this week which means great news for hotels and bad news for the lines at Chipotle.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Has cosentinos decided to care more about people sitting in the frozen food aisle than shoppers needing to get down that aisle with a cart?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 am Has cosentinos decided to care more about people sitting in the frozen food aisle than shoppers needing to get down that aisle with a cart?
It's volleyball tournament time!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:06 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 am Has cosentinos decided to care more about people sitting in the frozen food aisle than shoppers needing to get down that aisle with a cart?
It's volleyball tournament time!
There’s the reason.

The profit on prepared food like the salad bar can be 50-70%
The whole business ranges from 1-2.5% profit margin.

They’re never going to kick someone out when they’re the source of store profits for the week

Go into a big suburban store and they staff much better in the high margin areas like bakery, deli, floral. That’s where they want you spending money at. If they do catering they’ll bend over backwards because their food costs are extremely low from, you know, selling it, so it’s big profit area.

I worked in a grocery store doing seven figures in catering monthly. Any manager in the store would help to take or deliver catering orders while the guy stocking frozen might be alone all day
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Enlightening as always.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:24 pm
Heard that Loews laid 0 employees off at the KC hotel during Covid. Gives them a great pool of talent to attract, train, and lead new staff.

“We are slammed for the rest of the year. Business is strong and we are seeing a lot of event bookings.” - Management

My understanding is that the bigger powers are supportive of additional investments in the space that would help boost convention business (amenities, 5 star hotel, green space, etc).