OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by earthling »

^They need to back up the statement with recent occupancy/RevPAR stats. Given the incentives, should be posted publicly monthly. It's partly 'our' investment afterall.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Pretty easy to not lay off when basically operating in pre opening mode since the pandemic started
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:59 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:24 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:22 pm Hotel packed tonight along with many of the others downrown. Great to see visitors and $$$ glowing downtown again
Hotel business is doing well.
Heard that Loews laid 0 employees off at the KC hotel during Covid. Gives them a great pool of talent to attract, train, and lead new staff.

“We are slammed for the rest of the year. Business is strong and we are seeing a lot of event bookings.” - Management

My understanding is that the bigger powers are supportive of additional investments in the space that would help boost convention business (amenities, 5 star hotel, green space, etc).
Not sure of the exact numbers, but Loews did have to lay off a number of employees during the pandemic.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Just checking different hotel prices for an upcoming trip and the KC Loews hotel is not accepting reservations. Anybody know why?

Nevermind, finally got it to work.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Stilwell is amazing, btw.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

A different angle that we don't normally see
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Retail space on Baltimore on market. Was this the spa before?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:58 pm Retail space on Baltimore on market. Was this the spa before?
Never knew there was any retail space on Baltimore. Is is where their small jump lobby is?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:58 pm Retail space on Baltimore on market. Was this the spa before?
I walk past this building on baltimore almost every day and I have no idea what this is referring to
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:01 pm
I walk past this building on baltimore almost every day and I have no idea what this is referring to
I believe normalthings may be referring to the space at the corner of Baltimore/Truman. The upper level of the space is the fitness center, but the bottom level has not yet been occupied.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Link2 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:56 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:01 pm
I believe normalthings may be referring to the space at the corner of Baltimore/Truman. The upper level of the space is the fitness center, but the bottom level has not yet been occupied.
Yes, 2 level space of about 8,000 SQFT. I had thought there was a spa below the gym and remember signage for it when the Hotel first opened. the Spa was to open at a later point and so I am wondering if this is the space the Spa was to go to first.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

The retail space on Baltimore is a 2 story spot that hasn't been activated yet. It was quietly being worked on in hopes to land a BBQ concept actually.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

daGOAT wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:27 pm The retail space on Baltimore is a 2 story spot that hasn't been activated yet. It was quietly being worked on in hopes to land a BBQ concept actually.
The spa is below the pool/gym level but must not be in this space then.Glad it might be possible for this corner to be active with the park coming
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ce=twitter
Cushman & Wakefield thinks a good candidate could be a high-end restaurant, such as a steakhouse. A Mexican, Asian or sushi concept also could perform well, Popplewell said. On the retail side, the real estate broker will be looking for a high-end concept or one that’s experiential.
This would be a good spot for an Uchi or something in that vein
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I selfishly vote for sushi or something like Nara. I still miss that place.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Is there any restrictions to what Loews can do with the building since it is publicly financed? Do they have to get permission to sublet space like this?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:52 pm Is there any restrictions to what Loews can do with the building since it is publicly financed? Do they have to get permission to sublet space like this?
Looking at the old renderings,there was a Palm Steak House sign at this spot.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:16 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:52 pm Is there any restrictions to what Loews can do with the building since it is publicly financed? Do they have to get permission to sublet space like this?
I'm just curious what the restrictions are for what can go in the space. Does the hotel have carte blanche on what goes in or do they have to get approval? It's a sublease. Seems the city would have a say in the business that fills the space.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:28 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:16 pm
I'm just curious what the restrictions are for what can go in the space. Does the hotel have carte blanche on what goes in or do they have to get approval? It's a sublease. Seems the city would have a say in the business that fills the space.
As far as I can tell, this has always been designated a retail space.

imho the last thing we need is the city to have a say in this.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:38 pm As far as I can tell, this has always been designated a retail space.

imho the last thing we need is the city to have a say in this.
I'd probably say that too but then I think about the city funding P&L with so many spaces sitting empty. They really should have had more say (or financial demands built in) to force developers to fill spaces when they have the opportunity. It should hurt developers enough that they are forced to rent out space instead of waiting for the right mix or holding a space for a certain retailer (Hardrock Cafe/ESPNZone) that might never come.