Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:55 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am
Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:39 am

The stance that this country is not in fact "broken, racist, oppressive and corrupt" is telling. It always has been and continues to be those things. America was built on white supremacy, oppression and racism -- from the very beginning. Any history book will clearly display these truths.

And I've never heard any credible voice state that all white people are racist. But white privilege is absolutely a real thing.
That’s the exact pessimism people are sick off. I’m not suggesting we ignore the history of this country like you want to ignore it’s progress. You want to play victim go ahead but what has that accomplished? If this country is so racist why are Asian Americans the wealthiest race in this country? Why are African Americans more prosperous and safer in this country than any other country in the world? Why do non-white people want to live in this country more than any other country in the world?

I’m not saying that white privilege flat out doesn’t exist but to pretend it’s to blame for anything or that simple because you are white, you are privileged is ridiculous.

There are many people on the left who suggest all white people are racist and there was an entire movement called BLM that pushed this narrative. Forcing people at dinner tables to say “I’m not racist” or face their wrath.
You should research your exact points on Asian-Americans and African-Americans. Your lack of knowledge on this topic is astounding.
Trust me... I have... In college and in life. Very normal response from someone who doesn't want to admit to not being right and instead just says, "go do some research". Idiotic.

Edit: It's always moronic to tell someone you don't know anything about on the internet they lack knowledge on a topic simply because you don't agree. It's insulting and lazy. You disagree, show me why I'm wrong or don't engage at all.
Last edited by DColeKC on Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:25 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am If this country is so racist why are Asian Americans the wealthiest race in this country? Why are African Americans more prosperous and safer in this country than any other country in the world? Why do non-white people want to live in this country more than any other country in the world?
You seem to confuse whatever the success of Asian Americans and Black Americans may have in this country and an apparent lack of racism. Another way to look at it they succeeded in spite of the racism that is in this country. There are people who promote White Replacement Theory (which to me is just another way to say White Nationalism) on prime time television, in politics, and in other forums. Obama was President and quite a few of his opponents hated him not because of politics but because he was a "Black" President.
I think the confusion is in the idea that by saying Asian Americans and Black Americans do very well in this country compared to other countries must mean I'm claiming racism doesn't exist. I'm not saying it doesn't exist and isn't a problem to this day, but to pretend we're still in the 1800's or even 1960's is far from reality.

People who promote white nationalism represent such a tiny portion of Americans. People who disliked Obama simply because he was black also represents a small portion on Americans.

This country is made up of a diverse racial group and we'll never live in perfect harmony. That's just the truth but to propose we're still a racist and oppressive nation with a corrupt system is flat out bullshit.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:25 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:25 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am If this country is so racist why are Asian Americans the wealthiest race in this country? Why are African Americans more prosperous and safer in this country than any other country in the world? Why do non-white people want to live in this country more than any other country in the world?
You seem to confuse whatever the success of Asian Americans and Black Americans may have in this country and an apparent lack of racism. Another way to look at it they succeeded in spite of the racism that is in this country. There are people who promote White Replacement Theory (which to me is just another way to say White Nationalism) on prime time television, in politics, and in other forums. Obama was President and quite a few of his opponents hated him not because of politics but because he was a "Black" President.
True. It's like saying because Jewish people were prosperous in Germany prior to 1935, there was no anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitism was rife in Germany long before Hitler took power. He just tapped into that emotion.

Those that think American blacks are the lucky ones are forgetting that Africa may have progressed on an entirely different trajectory had it not been for European colonization and exploitation and slavery.
I didn't say Black Americans are the lucky ones, but it's undeniable that in comparison to other countries in this world, they are the best off in this country. I'm not sure what the point of playing the "what if" game, especially going back hundreds of years. Had it not been for African blacks enlisting their own into slavery, maybe slavery wouldn't have ever happened? Oh wait, all races at some point enslaved their own people but we seem to forget that too.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:33 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:25 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am If this country is so racist why are Asian Americans the wealthiest race in this country? Why are African Americans more prosperous and safer in this country than any other country in the world? Why do non-white people want to live in this country more than any other country in the world?
You seem to confuse whatever the success of Asian Americans and Black Americans may have in this country and an apparent lack of racism. Another way to look at it they succeeded in spite of the racism that is in this country. There are people who promote White Replacement Theory (which to me is just another way to say White Nationalism) on prime time television, in politics, and in other forums. Obama was President and quite a few of his opponents hated him not because of politics but because he was a "Black" President.
I think the confusion is in the idea that by saying Asian Americans and Black Americans do very well in this country compared to other countries must mean I'm claiming racism doesn't exist. I'm not saying it doesn't exist and isn't a problem to this day, but to pretend we're still in the 1800's or even 1960's is far from reality.

People who promote white nationalism represent such a tiny portion of Americans. People who disliked Obama simply because he was black also represents a small portion on Americans.

This country is made up of a diverse racial group and we'll never live in perfect harmony. That's just the truth but to propose we're still a racist and oppressive nation with a corrupt system is flat out bullshit.
Are you saying we're not a racist & oppressive nation?
User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9661
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Politics

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:33 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:25 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am If this country is so racist why are Asian Americans the wealthiest race in this country? Why are African Americans more prosperous and safer in this country than any other country in the world? Why do non-white people want to live in this country more than any other country in the world?
You seem to confuse whatever the success of Asian Americans and Black Americans may have in this country and an apparent lack of racism. Another way to look at it they succeeded in spite of the racism that is in this country. There are people who promote White Replacement Theory (which to me is just another way to say White Nationalism) on prime time television, in politics, and in other forums. Obama was President and quite a few of his opponents hated him not because of politics but because he was a "Black" President.
People who disliked Obama simply because he was black also represents a small portion on Americans.
Not so sure about that. Trump himself originally gained prominence as a politician due to being a "birther". He absolutely tapped into the right's issues with Obama's race. I know many Americans who were deeply affected by having a black president and bought into the whole birther nonsense.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:38 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:25 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:25 am

You seem to confuse whatever the success of Asian Americans and Black Americans may have in this country and an apparent lack of racism. Another way to look at it they succeeded in spite of the racism that is in this country. There are people who promote White Replacement Theory (which to me is just another way to say White Nationalism) on prime time television, in politics, and in other forums. Obama was President and quite a few of his opponents hated him not because of politics but because he was a "Black" President.
True. It's like saying because Jewish people were prosperous in Germany prior to 1935, there was no anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitism was rife in Germany long before Hitler took power. He just tapped into that emotion.

Those that think American blacks are the lucky ones are forgetting that Africa may have progressed on an entirely different trajectory had it not been for European colonization and exploitation and slavery.
I didn't say Black Americans are the lucky ones, but it's undeniable that in comparison to other countries in this world, they are the best off in this country. I'm not sure what the point of playing the "what if" game, especially going back hundreds of years. Had it not been for African blacks enlisting their own into slavery, maybe slavery wouldn't have ever happened? Oh wait, all races at some point enslaved their own people but we seem to forget that too.
Your response right here says everything there is to know about you. Thanks for clearing it up.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:27 pm
Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:55 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am

That’s the exact pessimism people are sick off. I’m not suggesting we ignore the history of this country like you want to ignore it’s progress. You want to play victim go ahead but what has that accomplished? If this country is so racist why are Asian Americans the wealthiest race in this country? Why are African Americans more prosperous and safer in this country than any other country in the world? Why do non-white people want to live in this country more than any other country in the world?

I’m not saying that white privilege flat out doesn’t exist but to pretend it’s to blame for anything or that simple because you are white, you are privileged is ridiculous.

There are many people on the left who suggest all white people are racist and there was an entire movement called BLM that pushed this narrative. Forcing people at dinner tables to say “I’m not racist” or face their wrath.
You should research your exact points on Asian-Americans and African-Americans. Your lack of knowledge on this topic is astounding.
Trust me... I have... In college and in life. Very normal response from someone who doesn't want to admit to not being right and instead just says, "go do some research". Idiotic.

Edit: It's always moronic to tell someone you don't know anything about on the internet they lack knowledge on a topic simply because you don't agree. It's insulting and lazy. You disagree, show me why I'm wrong or don't engage at all.
It's just so easy with you. You post so much inaccurate information on a wide range of topics. Then when called on it, you won't address it. And then you go on the attack and start name-calling. Rinse & repeat -- the cycle continues.
Last edited by Link2 on Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:39 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:38 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:25 pm

True. It's like saying because Jewish people were prosperous in Germany prior to 1935, there was no anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitism was rife in Germany long before Hitler took power. He just tapped into that emotion.

Those that think American blacks are the lucky ones are forgetting that Africa may have progressed on an entirely different trajectory had it not been for European colonization and exploitation and slavery.
I didn't say Black Americans are the lucky ones, but it's undeniable that in comparison to other countries in this world, they are the best off in this country. I'm not sure what the point of playing the "what if" game, especially going back hundreds of years. Had it not been for African blacks enlisting their own into slavery, maybe slavery wouldn't have ever happened? Oh wait, all races at some point enslaved their own people but we seem to forget that too.
Your response right here says everything there is to know about you. Thanks for clearing it up.
A few words sum my entire world view up? Maybe you didn't pick up on the point, which was playing the "what if this didn't happen" game is dumb and not helpful. I get it, you want to blame all the problems on America and ignore the facts. It's so easy to have your opinion and not challenge the problem or take a serious look at it.

We can agree that racism exists today and always will. We can agree that this country has a terrible history of oppression. Apparently what we can't agree on is that we have come a long way and continue to make progress in these areas.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:44 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:27 pm
Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:55 am

You should research your exact points on Asian-Americans and African-Americans. Your lack of knowledge on this topic is astounding.
Trust me... I have... In college and in life. Very normal response from someone who doesn't want to admit to not being right and instead just says, "go do some research". Idiotic.

Edit: It's always moronic to tell someone you don't know anything about on the internet they lack knowledge on a topic simply because you don't agree. It's insulting and lazy. You disagree, show me why I'm wrong or don't engage at all.
It's just so easy with you. You post so much inaccurate information on a wide range of topics. Then when called on it, you won't address it.
So call me on it! Instead you're just tossing out assumptions and pretending you're better than me or somehow have been blessed with the right knowledge while I've been tricked into believing right-wing propaganda!
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:39 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:33 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:25 am

You seem to confuse whatever the success of Asian Americans and Black Americans may have in this country and an apparent lack of racism. Another way to look at it they succeeded in spite of the racism that is in this country. There are people who promote White Replacement Theory (which to me is just another way to say White Nationalism) on prime time television, in politics, and in other forums. Obama was President and quite a few of his opponents hated him not because of politics but because he was a "Black" President.
People who disliked Obama simply because he was black also represents a small portion on Americans.
Not so sure about that. Trump himself originally gained prominence as a politician due to being a "birther". He absolutely tapped into the right's issues with Obama's race. I know many Americans who were deeply affected by having a black president and bought into the whole birther nonsense.
Well, two things. Fuck people who didn't like Obama simply because of his skin color. Secondly, Trump and the birther movement should serve as a massive embarrassment to him and anyone who bought into it.
User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2516
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Politics

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Image
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:53 pm Image
Still talking politics in the politics forum. If we're going to toss anything that gets deep into the trash bin, why don't we just delete the politics forum and ban the discussion of politics altogether?

Would save me a lot of time! Especially since I'm one of the only people not firmly in the liberal camp on here.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:44 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:27 pm
Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:55 am

You should research your exact points on Asian-Americans and African-Americans. Your lack of knowledge on this topic is astounding.
Trust me... I have... In college and in life. Very normal response from someone who doesn't want to admit to not being right and instead just says, "go do some research". Idiotic.

Edit: It's always moronic to tell someone you don't know anything about on the internet they lack knowledge on a topic simply because you don't agree. It's insulting and lazy. You disagree, show me why I'm wrong or don't engage at all.
It's just so easy with you. You post so much inaccurate information on a wide range of topics. Then when called on it, you won't address it. And then you go on the attack and start name-calling. Rinse & repeat -- the cycle continues.
Glad you edited to add the part of name-calling, once again pretending there's no reality. I didn't call you any names, instead of actually discussing the topic, you claim I lack knowledge and make bitchy little comments like, "Your stance is telling". So yes, having someone like you, tell someone like me that my comments are "telling" which is a hint about my character is going to result in me not being friendly to you. I will have no problem saying your comments are moronic or that you're pathetic. I won't punch first but I'll punch back.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:07 pm
Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:44 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:27 pm

Trust me... I have... In college and in life. Very normal response from someone who doesn't want to admit to not being right and instead just says, "go do some research". Idiotic.

Edit: It's always moronic to tell someone you don't know anything about on the internet they lack knowledge on a topic simply because you don't agree. It's insulting and lazy. You disagree, show me why I'm wrong or don't engage at all.
It's just so easy with you. You post so much inaccurate information on a wide range of topics. Then when called on it, you won't address it. And then you go on the attack and start name-calling. Rinse & repeat -- the cycle continues.
Glad you edited to add the part of name-calling, once again pretending there's no reality. I didn't call you any names, instead of actually discussing the topic, you claim I lack knowledge and make bitchy little comments like, "Your stance is telling". So yes, having someone like you, tell someone like me that my comments are "telling" which is a hint about my character is going to result in me not being friendly to you. I will have no problem saying your comments are moronic or that you're pathetic. I won't punch first but I'll punch back.
I'm good, this is pointless.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:10 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:07 pm
Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:44 pm

It's just so easy with you. You post so much inaccurate information on a wide range of topics. Then when called on it, you won't address it. And then you go on the attack and start name-calling. Rinse & repeat -- the cycle continues.
Glad you edited to add the part of name-calling, once again pretending there's no reality. I didn't call you any names, instead of actually discussing the topic, you claim I lack knowledge and make bitchy little comments like, "Your stance is telling". So yes, having someone like you, tell someone like me that my comments are "telling" which is a hint about my character is going to result in me not being friendly to you. I will have no problem saying your comments are moronic or that you're pathetic. I won't punch first but I'll punch back.
I'm good, this is pointless.
Like most of your posts. Thanks, I've got to get to my anti-abortion, pro-white rally anyway. I'll likely be one of the only people there with a bi-racial family and pro-choice, but hell there's just so many of these things and they're so popular, I've got to go to at least one!

Now who's the one being called out and not addressing it? Hypocrisy at it's finest.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:17 pm
Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:10 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:07 pm

Glad you edited to add the part of name-calling, once again pretending there's no reality. I didn't call you any names, instead of actually discussing the topic, you claim I lack knowledge and make bitchy little comments like, "Your stance is telling". So yes, having someone like you, tell someone like me that my comments are "telling" which is a hint about my character is going to result in me not being friendly to you. I will have no problem saying your comments are moronic or that you're pathetic. I won't punch first but I'll punch back.
I'm good, this is pointless.
Like most of your posts. Thanks, I've got to get to my anti-abortion, pro-white rally anyway. I'll likely be one of the only people there with a bi-racial family and pro-choice, but hell there's just so many of these things and they're so popular, I've got to go to at least one!

Now who's the one being called out and not addressing it? Hypocrisy at it's finest.
lol, you are really bad at this.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2686
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by phuqueue »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:43 am
phuqueue wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:26 pm Man you're really sticking to your guns even after this post aged like fine milk
DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:18 am Glad to see the shift back to normalcy regarding this PC culture and wokeism in various ways lately. Governor races in solid blue states are close and in risk of being flipped red. Late night talk shows ratings are in the trash as people tire of the constant Trump jokes and PC hosts. People standing up to push back on this gender identity stuff that has gotten out of hand.

Definitely a shift happening and even “liberals” seem to be fed up with things.
With all of the other things Dems had to work against -- a midterm election (party in power typically loses dozens of seats), the low popularity of the Dem president (unpopular presidents typically lose more dozens of seats than popular ones, go figure), inflation running at the highest level in decades, successful gerrymandering in various red states and unsuccessful gerrymandering in places like New York (New York's map might be the single biggest reason the GOP is still likely to take the House), popular perception of a crime wave (largely false, but that doesn't matter as long as people believe it), and on and on -- we are supposed to believe that, actually, the only reason they didn't blow the GOP out is that people are tired of "wokeism." Very interesting, very persuasive.
Maybe you missed it but it’s more likely you ignored it. I said the republicans messed this up. With all the disadvantages the democrats face and the fact we are not in a good spot at all, democrats held far more seats than predicted.

I frankly could care less if what I say is persuasive or not. If I wanted to sway votes I’d not do it on a development forum that 10 people interact on.

Listen, I know you’re woke and firmly in the liberal elite category so I don’t expect you to admit that wokeism is declining. Thankfully there are articles all over the place from liberal leaning media that discuss this.

The biggest reasons the GOP didn’t have this red wave they wanted were bad candidates, poor messaging and Trump. While they may have gained back some control this election was still not a victory for the GOP.
You say lots of things, and they aren't necessarily internally consistent. You did say all that other stuff, but you also said: "The fact Democrats don't have complete and utter control goes to show millions of Americans are sick of them and their woke policies," so I'm responding to this postmortem you are offering in which, although your forecast was completely wrong, your reasoning was nonetheless somehow completely sound. I just don't really see any strong evidence that anybody not mainlining Murdoch-owned media actually cares at all about "woke policies." Granted, a very large number of people are mainlining Murdoch-owned media, so I don't mean to imply that it's a negligible population, but very few of those people were ever going to entertain voting for Democrats in the first place, so they aren't really worth discussing in this particular conversation. It's easy to blame Trump or bad candidates or poor messaging or whatever else, but what exactly do you think was bad about the candidates? What do you think Trump did to blow the election? How do you characterize the GOP's message? Cuz I'm not really seeing how those questions are answered in a way that also squares with "but also, everyone is thinking about 'wokeism' as much as DCole is and they hate it just as much as he does."
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:38 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:25 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:25 am

You seem to confuse whatever the success of Asian Americans and Black Americans may have in this country and an apparent lack of racism. Another way to look at it they succeeded in spite of the racism that is in this country. There are people who promote White Replacement Theory (which to me is just another way to say White Nationalism) on prime time television, in politics, and in other forums. Obama was President and quite a few of his opponents hated him not because of politics but because he was a "Black" President.
True. It's like saying because Jewish people were prosperous in Germany prior to 1935, there was no anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitism was rife in Germany long before Hitler took power. He just tapped into that emotion.

Those that think American blacks are the lucky ones are forgetting that Africa may have progressed on an entirely different trajectory had it not been for European colonization and exploitation and slavery.
I didn't say Black Americans are the lucky ones, but it's undeniable that in comparison to other countries in this world, they are the best off in this country. I'm not sure what the point of playing the "what if" game, especially going back hundreds of years. Had it not been for African blacks enlisting their own into slavery, maybe slavery wouldn't have ever happened? Oh wait, all races at some point enslaved their own people but we seem to forget that too.
This is a faulty comparison. Even accepting, for the sake of argument, that black people are better off in America than in any other country, the measure of racism in America would still be how they compare to other racial groups within America, now how they compare to their own racial group in other countries. But that comparison would definitely not support your argument, which is presumably why you went with this irrelevant cross-country comparison instead.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Link2 »

phuqueue wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:43 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:43 am
phuqueue wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:26 pm Man you're really sticking to your guns even after this post aged like fine milk


With all of the other things Dems had to work against -- a midterm election (party in power typically loses dozens of seats), the low popularity of the Dem president (unpopular presidents typically lose more dozens of seats than popular ones, go figure), inflation running at the highest level in decades, successful gerrymandering in various red states and unsuccessful gerrymandering in places like New York (New York's map might be the single biggest reason the GOP is still likely to take the House), popular perception of a crime wave (largely false, but that doesn't matter as long as people believe it), and on and on -- we are supposed to believe that, actually, the only reason they didn't blow the GOP out is that people are tired of "wokeism." Very interesting, very persuasive.
Maybe you missed it but it’s more likely you ignored it. I said the republicans messed this up. With all the disadvantages the democrats face and the fact we are not in a good spot at all, democrats held far more seats than predicted.

I frankly could care less if what I say is persuasive or not. If I wanted to sway votes I’d not do it on a development forum that 10 people interact on.

Listen, I know you’re woke and firmly in the liberal elite category so I don’t expect you to admit that wokeism is declining. Thankfully there are articles all over the place from liberal leaning media that discuss this.

The biggest reasons the GOP didn’t have this red wave they wanted were bad candidates, poor messaging and Trump. While they may have gained back some control this election was still not a victory for the GOP.
You say lots of things, and they aren't necessarily internally consistent. You did say all that other stuff, but you also said: "The fact Democrats don't have complete and utter control goes to show millions of Americans are sick of them and their woke policies," so I'm responding to this postmortem you are offering in which, although your forecast was completely wrong, your reasoning was nonetheless somehow completely sound. I just don't really see any strong evidence that anybody not mainlining Murdoch-owned media actually cares at all about "woke policies." Granted, a very large number of people are mainlining Murdoch-owned media, so I don't mean to imply that it's a negligible population, but very few of those people were ever going to entertain voting for Democrats in the first place, so they aren't really worth discussing in this particular conversation. It's easy to blame Trump or bad candidates or poor messaging or whatever else, but what exactly do you think was bad about the candidates? What do you think Trump did to blow the election? How do you characterize the GOP's message? Cuz I'm not really seeing how those questions are answered in a way that also squares with "but also, everyone is thinking about 'wokeism' as much as DCole is and they hate it just as much as he does."
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:38 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:25 pm

True. It's like saying because Jewish people were prosperous in Germany prior to 1935, there was no anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitism was rife in Germany long before Hitler took power. He just tapped into that emotion.

Those that think American blacks are the lucky ones are forgetting that Africa may have progressed on an entirely different trajectory had it not been for European colonization and exploitation and slavery.
I didn't say Black Americans are the lucky ones, but it's undeniable that in comparison to other countries in this world, they are the best off in this country. I'm not sure what the point of playing the "what if" game, especially going back hundreds of years. Had it not been for African blacks enlisting their own into slavery, maybe slavery wouldn't have ever happened? Oh wait, all races at some point enslaved their own people but we seem to forget that too.
This is a faulty comparison. Even accepting, for the sake of argument, that black people are better off in America than in any other country, the measure of racism in America would still be how they compare to other racial groups within America, now how they compare to their own racial group in other countries. But that comparison would definitely not support your argument, which is presumably why you went with this irrelevant cross-country comparison instead.
"Wokeism" is a non-existent trigger word created by the Right. Just as they used the term "Antifa" and "BLM" in the same fashion during the previous election cycle. The conservative media & politicians are experts at stirring fear in their constituents and viewers. And it works -- I mean, that guy is clearly terrified of the Left.

There are many more examples of this pattern of course: Obamacare, Socialism, caravans, illegal aliens, Kaepernick, transgender, CRT, etc. have all been used over the years to stoke fear and drive ratings/votes.

It's despicable behavior. But when you have no actual policies, and oppose the will of the public-at-large in most cases, what else do you have?
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:25 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:17 pm
Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:10 pm

I'm good, this is pointless.
Like most of your posts. Thanks, I've got to get to my anti-abortion, pro-white rally anyway. I'll likely be one of the only people there with a bi-racial family and pro-choice, but hell there's just so many of these things and they're so popular, I've got to go to at least one!

Now who's the one being called out and not addressing it? Hypocrisy at it's finest.
lol, you are really bad at this.
Thankfully I’m simply expressing my own opinions and not trying to win any awards or friends.

You’re using the only tool you’ve got, so I guess you’re great at that.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:01 pm
phuqueue wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:43 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:43 am

Maybe you missed it but it’s more likely you ignored it. I said the republicans messed this up. With all the disadvantages the democrats face and the fact we are not in a good spot at all, democrats held far more seats than predicted.

I frankly could care less if what I say is persuasive or not. If I wanted to sway votes I’d not do it on a development forum that 10 people interact on.

Listen, I know you’re woke and firmly in the liberal elite category so I don’t expect you to admit that wokeism is declining. Thankfully there are articles all over the place from liberal leaning media that discuss this.

The biggest reasons the GOP didn’t have this red wave they wanted were bad candidates, poor messaging and Trump. While they may have gained back some control this election was still not a victory for the GOP.
You say lots of things, and they aren't necessarily internally consistent. You did say all that other stuff, but you also said: "The fact Democrats don't have complete and utter control goes to show millions of Americans are sick of them and their woke policies," so I'm responding to this postmortem you are offering in which, although your forecast was completely wrong, your reasoning was nonetheless somehow completely sound. I just don't really see any strong evidence that anybody not mainlining Murdoch-owned media actually cares at all about "woke policies." Granted, a very large number of people are mainlining Murdoch-owned media, so I don't mean to imply that it's a negligible population, but very few of those people were ever going to entertain voting for Democrats in the first place, so they aren't really worth discussing in this particular conversation. It's easy to blame Trump or bad candidates or poor messaging or whatever else, but what exactly do you think was bad about the candidates? What do you think Trump did to blow the election? How do you characterize the GOP's message? Cuz I'm not really seeing how those questions are answered in a way that also squares with "but also, everyone is thinking about 'wokeism' as much as DCole is and they hate it just as much as he does."
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:38 pm

I didn't say Black Americans are the lucky ones, but it's undeniable that in comparison to other countries in this world, they are the best off in this country. I'm not sure what the point of playing the "what if" game, especially going back hundreds of years. Had it not been for African blacks enlisting their own into slavery, maybe slavery wouldn't have ever happened? Oh wait, all races at some point enslaved their own people but we seem to forget that too.
This is a faulty comparison. Even accepting, for the sake of argument, that black people are better off in America than in any other country, the measure of racism in America would still be how they compare to other racial groups within America, now how they compare to their own racial group in other countries. But that comparison would definitely not support your argument, which is presumably why you went with this irrelevant cross-country comparison instead.
"Wokeism" is a non-existent trigger word created by the Right. Just as they used the term "Antifa" and "BLM" in the same fashion during the previous election cycle. The conservative media & politicians are experts at stirring fear in their constituents and viewers. And it works -- I mean, that guy is clearly terrified of the Left.

There are many more examples of this pattern of course: Obamacare, Socialism, caravans, illegal aliens, Kaepernick, transgender, CRT, etc. have all been used over the years to stoke fear and drive ratings/votes.

It's despicable behavior. But when you have no actual policies, and oppose the will of the public-at-large in most cases, what else do you have?
Wow. You really don’t see the hypocrisy do you? The word woke wasn’t invented by the right and woke/identity politics is a left wing tactic. Sure, conservative media may be responsible for adding ISM and weaponizing it but liberals handed this to them on a platter.

On to the hypocrisy. What do democrats do if not stoke fear in order to get votes? “Put you back in chains” sound familiar? “Existential threat to our planet”. “Threat to our democracy”. Obama just said that, “Democracy may not survive” if the Republican candidate won Arizona. I’m sure you see nothing wrong with this fear mongering right?

I’m not terrified of the left. If I were, I wouldn’t be speaking my mind in a forum full of leftist. I am 100% terrified of the far-left and what they want done to this country.

How can you say republicans oppose the will of the people? They oppose the will of people like you! They don’t oppose transgenderism, they oppose allowing children being allowed to change their gender. They don’t oppose Kap or his freedom of speech, they disagree with kneeling during the national anthem. They don’t oppose immigration they support legal immigration. They don’t oppose Obamacare because they don’t want people to have healthcare, they oppose it because it wasn’t a good plan. They do oppose socialism and CRT, thankfully.

It sounds like you’ve bitten all you can chew from the Liberal Cafe. I have no problem admitting the negatives about the right but it’s clear you think your side can do no harm.
Post Reply