Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 7089
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Politics

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:55 pm And as one this forums few right leaning members I will say the republicans failed miserably this election cycle. Sure they may gain control but with the current state of this country, they should have picked up and won many more races. They need to seriously regroup and find a way to get Trump under control.

They gave the left the most perfect weapon with the Roe V Wade situation. It allowed dems to pretend we were heading back into a time long past. The majority of this country is pro-choice, yet they opened themselves to accusations they want to simply control a woman’s body.
What plan did they put forth to fix the country?
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

That’s the problem, they may have had this “commitment to America” plan but I couldn’t tell you much about it because they did a poor job getting out the details and dems did a great job keeping republicans busy defending themselves. The dems claimed republicans were going to ban abortion, decrease social programs and ruin the world. It was effective and helps they have most forms of media in a favorable direction.
User avatar
FlippantCitizen
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:29 pm
Location: Volker

Re: Politics

Post by FlippantCitizen »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:40 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:48 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:24 pm Hopefully Trump sees these results as a sign his power has diminished. He is not the king maker.

That said, he would still likely win Vs Biden unless there’s a dramatic change in the Biden administration. Doesn’t sound like he’s going to go the Clinton route and modify anything, instead he’s going to dig in ever more. So I expect our country to continue its downhill trajectory for 2 more years.

Desantis would absolutely destroy anyone the democrats could run. Add in a Nicki Haley or Tim Scott and you’ve got a powerful combo.

I personally think it’s imperative to get someone new in the white house and no secret I lean right. Would love to have Desantis in there but I dread the choice of Biden or Trump.
Strong copium right there. All things stay the same (Biden's health, low unemployment, slowing if not completely tamed inflation prints, relatively minor recession that's basically priced into the markets at this point) then Biden would be in a very strong position against Trump. Reality check, Nikki Haley isn't going anywhere in today's GOP. Desantis would be a strong contender, probably a favorite in the general but would have to consolidate enough support from the foaming at the mouth Trumplicans to make it through a primary.
Why wouldn’t Nikki Haley go anywhere in todays GOP?

The Democratic pundits were literally wondering if Biden would step aside had the republicans got the ‘red wave’ they wanted. Biden is one of the least popular presidents in recent history and members of his own party have distanced themselves from him. He essentially accomplished nothing the average American can feel or see in their daily lives with his first two years, I’m not sure how he turns that around now without Democratic control of the house and senate.


Then you have his declining health and please don’t pretend he’s a spry, energetic and bright old man. He’s not.

Desantis with the full support of the republicans and yes, without Trump fanatics against him would win Vs anyone the dems could find to run. I thought this was fairly clear by polls and even in most media coverage I’ve seen it discussed. And no, I’m not a Fox News junkie like all left leaning people like to assume all non-liberals are.
Biden is an old man. Well past his best years. And yes there was a lot of ferment from power players looking to create an opening for a primary challenge. I'll bet you see a lot of that go away after this midterm performance. Personally, I'd still like to see a contested primary because Biden is not my guy anyway and I do have genuine concerns about his health and longevity. But if he maintains the level of function he has now then he'll be running. They'll literally roll out his corpse to run and after this midterm the likes of Newsom or whichever narcissist would try to challenge him will know to wait for a better moment to strike.

Say what you want but the labor market is hot and there's wage growth, gas and groceries are up but people feel like they have the power to quit bad jobs cause other ones are out there, negotiate. Hurts if you have to buy a car or if you commute like 40 miles a day. That's just the young people. Retirees got a pretty big cost of living adjustment. Who I hear bitchin' about inflation the most is wealthier people pissed the cost of their vacation is twice as expensive now that they're competing against the entire work from home crowd who have more time to bid up the price of everything from flights to hotel rooms, to recreational vehicles. When you say that no one feels anything the Biden administration is doing in their lives... how about debt forgiveness? How about infrastructure? In Trumps first term replace that with a tax reform that only benefited high earners and trying to repeal people's meager healthcare. Today, I literally see the dollars going to local government everyday with all of the street resurfacing here. Young people don't have big stock portfolios yet. Market down, well just as well for us good time to buy. The Republican bad economy story didn't ring true from many people's perspective even if it does for others, eg. those whose worth is tied to asset amongst some other traits. Biden administration is putting meat on the bones of the better parts Trumps ideas that were never fully implemented. An actual industrial policy, and realistic China policy, eg. CHIPS act.

Desantis isn't a guaranteed win against Biden much less other candidates if Biden were to drop dead tomorrow. The Democrats have a Florida problem, that is very clear. But Florida was the outlier this midterm it seems. I'd be careful to draw too much from it. Between the issues of Trump/Election Denial/Insurrection/Abortion and the Republicans really have a coalition issue. I'm not saying Desantis isn't an incredible force, he is, and last night cemented that. But to think he has a lock on 2024 at this point is not the primary take away I had last night. The democrats hung pretty tough all things considered.
User avatar
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 16971
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Politics

Post by FangKC »

No one is ever guaranteed to win anything. George H. W. Bush had incredibly high approval ratings after the first Iraq War, yet he lost to Bill Clinton.
TheSmokinPun
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:39 am
Location: Volker

Re: Politics

Post by TheSmokinPun »

DeSantis is Martin Sheen in Dead Zone if there ever was one. Really think Biden won't run in 2024, not sure who will, but real chance Trump will go third party write in and split the vote.

I really think DeSantis is going to have another public meltdown yelling at someone who will wreck him. Also, all his policies are the ones that wrecked the so called Red Wave.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:44 pm DeSantis is Martin Sheen in Dead Zone if there ever was one. Really think Biden won't run in 2024, not sure who will, but real chance Trump will go third party write in and split the vote.

I really think DeSantis is going to have another public meltdown yelling at someone who will wreck him. Also, all his policies are the ones that wrecked the so called Red Wave.
I don’t agree with the comment his policies or policies like his wrecked the red wave. For example, abortions in Florida are legal up to the 15th week. That’s a fair compromise and far from the all out ban democrats try to claim conservatives support. He is by far the most popular Governor and in a state that has historically been very left leaning. The amount of registered dems vs republicans is a even split in Florida, so it’s not as if he’s leading a solid red state.
shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 7089
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Politics

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:09 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:44 pm DeSantis is Martin Sheen in Dead Zone if there ever was one. Really think Biden won't run in 2024, not sure who will, but real chance Trump will go third party write in and split the vote.

I really think DeSantis is going to have another public meltdown yelling at someone who will wreck him. Also, all his policies are the ones that wrecked the so called Red Wave.
I don’t agree with the comment his policies or policies like his wrecked the red wave. For example, abortions in Florida are legal up to the 15th week. That’s a fair compromise and far from the all out ban democrats try to claim conservatives support. He is by far the most popular Governor and in a state that has historically been very left leaning. The amount of registered dems vs republicans is a even split in Florida, so it’s not as if he’s leading a solid red state.
They certainly support an all-out ban in Missouri.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:34 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:09 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:44 pm DeSantis is Martin Sheen in Dead Zone if there ever was one. Really think Biden won't run in 2024, not sure who will, but real chance Trump will go third party write in and split the vote.

I really think DeSantis is going to have another public meltdown yelling at someone who will wreck him. Also, all his policies are the ones that wrecked the so called Red Wave.
I don’t agree with the comment his policies or policies like his wrecked the red wave. For example, abortions in Florida are legal up to the 15th week. That’s a fair compromise and far from the all out ban democrats try to claim conservatives support. He is by far the most popular Governor and in a state that has historically been very left leaning. The amount of registered dems vs republicans is a even split in Florida, so it’s not as if he’s leading a solid red state.
They certainly support an all-out ban in Missouri.
To get more detailed, not all conservatives or right-leaning voters want an all out ban. 29% of those Missourians who identify as right-leaning support abortion in most all cases. 31% of those who lean left don't support abortions in most cases.

I'm a dumbass for mentioning one of the hardest topics out there. Point was Desantis isn't the average bible hugging "MAGA" conservative.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:00 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:34 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:09 pm

I don’t agree with the comment his policies or policies like his wrecked the red wave. For example, abortions in Florida are legal up to the 15th week. That’s a fair compromise and far from the all out ban democrats try to claim conservatives support. He is by far the most popular Governor and in a state that has historically been very left leaning. The amount of registered dems vs republicans is a even split in Florida, so it’s not as if he’s leading a solid red state.
They certainly support an all-out ban in Missouri.
To get more detailed, not all conservatives or right-leaning voters want an all out ban. 29% of those Missourians who identify as right-leaning support abortion in most all cases. 31% of those who lean left don't support abortions in most cases.

I'm a dumbass for mentioning one of the hardest topics out there. Point was Desantis isn't the average bible hugging "MAGA" conservative.
Most followers of Florida politics expect DeSantis to propose a near-total ban on abortion during his second term. He's made no secret he'd like to further strengthen restrictions in the state.
User avatar
FlippantCitizen
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:29 pm
Location: Volker

Re: Politics

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Link2 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:29 pm
Most followers of Florida politics expect DeSantis to propose a near-total ban on abortion during his second term. He's made no secret he'd like to further strengthen restrictions in the state.

And as an aside, his whole battle against "woke" culture is laughable -- but effective in that state. It won't work nationally.
This is Desantis' main shtick, being a secular culture warrior against wokism. That looks like a good strategy when the elite and expert class is pushing Covid policy that is way off from the median voter, often shrouding it in woke language. It seems topical when the academy and parts of the press are hysterically over correcting after race relations and riots.

Lots of those issues are in the rearview for now. New cold war, industrial policy, election denial/democracy threats, housing policy, higher ed reform, healthcare. Call me when Desantis has a position on any of that because right now the only things I know about him are that he didn't like lock downs and he doesn't like CRT. Great, but he's going to have to flesh out some positions beyond that to prove he has any appeal to a broader electorate.

The one thing he has going for him is that he seems to be fairly good at sticking his finger in the wind and demagoging but he's nowhere near as good as Trump on that count.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:29 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:00 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:34 pm

They certainly support an all-out ban in Missouri.
To get more detailed, not all conservatives or right-leaning voters want an all out ban. 29% of those Missourians who identify as right-leaning support abortion in most all cases. 31% of those who lean left don't support abortions in most cases.

I'm a dumbass for mentioning one of the hardest topics out there. Point was Desantis isn't the average bible hugging "MAGA" conservative.
Most followers of Florida politics expect DeSantis to propose a near-total ban on abortion during his second term. He's made no secret he'd like to further strengthen restrictions in the state.

And as an aside, his whole battle against "woke" culture is laughable -- but effective in that state. It won't work nationally.
Going after "woke" culture nationally as a republican candidate would be highly effective and likely snag some independent votes as well. The woke culture has peaked and is on the decline. People are sick of the negativity and constant push by the left that this country is broken, racist, oppressive and corrupt. Democrats stand up there and tell lies, choosing to ignore the progress we have made as a country. Constantly pushing this false narrative that we're facing an existential threat and if we don't go all in on climate change yesterday, life as we know it will end tomorrow. Then you have the "democracy is under siege" messaging from the left and labeling anyone who QUESTIONS the results of the election "election deniers" when it's democratic AF to push back and thank god we have the freedom in this country to do so without being tossed in prison. People who know they are not racist are sick of being told they don't have a choice, this country has racism running through it's veins therefore if you're white, you are racist and you have privilege.

If this country is so bad, so oppressive and ran by privileged supremacist, why do people from all over the world choose to live here? No one is leaving, but millions want in.

It's not even remotely perfect but people are exhausted with the constant negativity and being told what to think. Or, thinking independently and risking being cancelled.

The fact Democrats don't have complete and utter control goes to show millions of Americans are sick of them and their woke policies. Liberals run the vast majority of influence in this country. Most all news organizations, most American universities and all of Hollywood. Hell they run many corporations but despite essentially controlling American culture, there's pushback and they've not been able to accomplish anything truly substantial.

I've got a ton of issues with the right too but I'll let the majority of the board here do the complaining on them.
mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11138
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Politics

Post by mean »

I am annoyed by "woke culture" but I am way more annoyed by you pretending it is a bigger problem than election deniers.

Fortunately, they mostly lost. And gracefully conceded. Because they knew they were full of shit.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2686
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by phuqueue »

Man you're really sticking to your guns even after this post aged like fine milk
DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:18 am Glad to see the shift back to normalcy regarding this PC culture and wokeism in various ways lately. Governor races in solid blue states are close and in risk of being flipped red. Late night talk shows ratings are in the trash as people tire of the constant Trump jokes and PC hosts. People standing up to push back on this gender identity stuff that has gotten out of hand.

Definitely a shift happening and even “liberals” seem to be fed up with things.
With all of the other things Dems had to work against -- a midterm election (party in power typically loses dozens of seats), the low popularity of the Dem president (unpopular presidents typically lose more dozens of seats than popular ones, go figure), inflation running at the highest level in decades, successful gerrymandering in various red states and unsuccessful gerrymandering in places like New York (New York's map might be the single biggest reason the GOP is still likely to take the House), popular perception of a crime wave (largely false, but that doesn't matter as long as people believe it), and on and on -- we are supposed to believe that, actually, the only reason they didn't blow the GOP out is that people are tired of "wokeism." Very interesting, very persuasive.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:21 pm I am annoyed by "woke culture" but I am way more annoyed by you pretending it is a bigger problem than election deniers.

Fortunately, they mostly lost. And gracefully conceded. Because they knew they were full of shit.
The small about of people who literally think the election was rigged or stolen are idiots. Questioning the integrity or wanting secure elections isn’t denying a election.

If they were actually “election deniers” don’t you think they wouldn’t have conceded.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:26 pm Man you're really sticking to your guns even after this post aged like fine milk
DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:18 am Glad to see the shift back to normalcy regarding this PC culture and wokeism in various ways lately. Governor races in solid blue states are close and in risk of being flipped red. Late night talk shows ratings are in the trash as people tire of the constant Trump jokes and PC hosts. People standing up to push back on this gender identity stuff that has gotten out of hand.

Definitely a shift happening and even “liberals” seem to be fed up with things.
With all of the other things Dems had to work against -- a midterm election (party in power typically loses dozens of seats), the low popularity of the Dem president (unpopular presidents typically lose more dozens of seats than popular ones, go figure), inflation running at the highest level in decades, successful gerrymandering in various red states and unsuccessful gerrymandering in places like New York (New York's map might be the single biggest reason the GOP is still likely to take the House), popular perception of a crime wave (largely false, but that doesn't matter as long as people believe it), and on and on -- we are supposed to believe that, actually, the only reason they didn't blow the GOP out is that people are tired of "wokeism." Very interesting, very persuasive.
Maybe you missed it but it’s more likely you ignored it. I said the republicans messed this up. With all the disadvantages the democrats face and the fact we are not in a good spot at all, democrats held far more seats than predicted.

I frankly could care less if what I say is persuasive or not. If I wanted to sway votes I’d not do it on a development forum that 10 people interact on.

Listen, I know you’re woke and firmly in the liberal elite category so I don’t expect you to admit that wokeism is declining. Thankfully there are articles all over the place from liberal leaning media that discuss this.

The biggest reasons the GOP didn’t have this red wave they wanted were bad candidates, poor messaging and Trump. While they may have gained back some control this election was still not a victory for the GOP.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:08 pm
Link2 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:29 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:00 pm

To get more detailed, not all conservatives or right-leaning voters want an all out ban. 29% of those Missourians who identify as right-leaning support abortion in most all cases. 31% of those who lean left don't support abortions in most cases.

I'm a dumbass for mentioning one of the hardest topics out there. Point was Desantis isn't the average bible hugging "MAGA" conservative.
Most followers of Florida politics expect DeSantis to propose a near-total ban on abortion during his second term. He's made no secret he'd like to further strengthen restrictions in the state.

And as an aside, his whole battle against "woke" culture is laughable -- but effective in that state. It won't work nationally.
Going after "woke" culture nationally as a republican candidate would be highly effective and likely snag some independent votes as well. The woke culture has peaked and is on the decline. People are sick of the negativity and constant push by the left that this country is broken, racist, oppressive and corrupt. Democrats stand up there and tell lies, choosing to ignore the progress we have made as a country. Constantly pushing this false narrative that we're facing an existential threat and if we don't go all in on climate change yesterday, life as we know it will end tomorrow. Then you have the "democracy is under siege" messaging from the left and labeling anyone who QUESTIONS the results of the election "election deniers" when it's democratic AF to push back and thank god we have the freedom in this country to do so without being tossed in prison. People who know they are not racist are sick of being told they don't have a choice, this country has racism running through it's veins therefore if you're white, you are racist and you have privilege.

If this country is so bad, so oppressive and ran by privileged supremacist, why do people from all over the world choose to live here? No one is leaving, but millions want in.

It's not even remotely perfect but people are exhausted with the constant negativity and being told what to think. Or, thinking independently and risking being cancelled.

The fact Democrats don't have complete and utter control goes to show millions of Americans are sick of them and their woke policies. Liberals run the vast majority of influence in this country. Most all news organizations, most American universities and all of Hollywood. Hell they run many corporations but despite essentially controlling American culture, there's pushback and they've not been able to accomplish anything truly substantial.

I've got a ton of issues with the right too but I'll let the majority of the board here do the complaining on them.
The stance that this country is not in fact "broken, racist, oppressive and corrupt" is telling. It always has been and continues to be those things. America was built on white supremacy, oppression and racism -- from the very beginning. Any history book will clearly display these truths.

And I've never heard any credible voice state that all white people are racist. But white privilege is absolutely a real thing.
User avatar
DColeKC
Ambassador
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:39 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:08 pm
Link2 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:29 pm

Most followers of Florida politics expect DeSantis to propose a near-total ban on abortion during his second term. He's made no secret he'd like to further strengthen restrictions in the state.

And as an aside, his whole battle against "woke" culture is laughable -- but effective in that state. It won't work nationally.
Going after "woke" culture nationally as a republican candidate would be highly effective and likely snag some independent votes as well. The woke culture has peaked and is on the decline. People are sick of the negativity and constant push by the left that this country is broken, racist, oppressive and corrupt. Democrats stand up there and tell lies, choosing to ignore the progress we have made as a country. Constantly pushing this false narrative that we're facing an existential threat and if we don't go all in on climate change yesterday, life as we know it will end tomorrow. Then you have the "democracy is under siege" messaging from the left and labeling anyone who QUESTIONS the results of the election "election deniers" when it's democratic AF to push back and thank god we have the freedom in this country to do so without being tossed in prison. People who know they are not racist are sick of being told they don't have a choice, this country has racism running through it's veins therefore if you're white, you are racist and you have privilege.

If this country is so bad, so oppressive and ran by privileged supremacist, why do people from all over the world choose to live here? No one is leaving, but millions want in.

It's not even remotely perfect but people are exhausted with the constant negativity and being told what to think. Or, thinking independently and risking being cancelled.

The fact Democrats don't have complete and utter control goes to show millions of Americans are sick of them and their woke policies. Liberals run the vast majority of influence in this country. Most all news organizations, most American universities and all of Hollywood. Hell they run many corporations but despite essentially controlling American culture, there's pushback and they've not been able to accomplish anything truly substantial.

I've got a ton of issues with the right too but I'll let the majority of the board here do the complaining on them.
The stance that this country is not in fact "broken, racist, oppressive and corrupt" is telling. It always has been and continues to be those things. America was built on white supremacy, oppression and racism -- from the very beginning. Any history book will clearly display these truths.

And I've never heard any credible voice state that all white people are racist. But white privilege is absolutely a real thing.
That’s the exact pessimism people are sick off. I’m not suggesting we ignore the history of this country like you want to ignore it’s progress. You want to play victim go ahead but what has that accomplished? If this country is so racist why are Asian Americans the wealthiest race in this country? Why are African Americans more prosperous and safer in this country than any other country in the world? Why do non-white people want to live in this country more than any other country in the world?

I’m not saying that white privilege flat out doesn’t exist but to pretend it’s to blame for anything or that simple because you are white, you are privileged is ridiculous.

There are many people on the left who suggest all white people are racist and there was an entire movement called BLM that pushed this narrative. Forcing people at dinner tables to say “I’m not racist” or face their wrath.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am
Link2 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:39 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Going after "woke" culture nationally as a republican candidate would be highly effective and likely snag some independent votes as well. The woke culture has peaked and is on the decline. People are sick of the negativity and constant push by the left that this country is broken, racist, oppressive and corrupt. Democrats stand up there and tell lies, choosing to ignore the progress we have made as a country. Constantly pushing this false narrative that we're facing an existential threat and if we don't go all in on climate change yesterday, life as we know it will end tomorrow. Then you have the "democracy is under siege" messaging from the left and labeling anyone who QUESTIONS the results of the election "election deniers" when it's democratic AF to push back and thank god we have the freedom in this country to do so without being tossed in prison. People who know they are not racist are sick of being told they don't have a choice, this country has racism running through it's veins therefore if you're white, you are racist and you have privilege.

If this country is so bad, so oppressive and ran by privileged supremacist, why do people from all over the world choose to live here? No one is leaving, but millions want in.

It's not even remotely perfect but people are exhausted with the constant negativity and being told what to think. Or, thinking independently and risking being cancelled.

The fact Democrats don't have complete and utter control goes to show millions of Americans are sick of them and their woke policies. Liberals run the vast majority of influence in this country. Most all news organizations, most American universities and all of Hollywood. Hell they run many corporations but despite essentially controlling American culture, there's pushback and they've not been able to accomplish anything truly substantial.

I've got a ton of issues with the right too but I'll let the majority of the board here do the complaining on them.
The stance that this country is not in fact "broken, racist, oppressive and corrupt" is telling. It always has been and continues to be those things. America was built on white supremacy, oppression and racism -- from the very beginning. Any history book will clearly display these truths.

And I've never heard any credible voice state that all white people are racist. But white privilege is absolutely a real thing.
That’s the exact pessimism people are sick off. I’m not suggesting we ignore the history of this country like you want to ignore it’s progress. You want to play victim go ahead but what has that accomplished? If this country is so racist why are Asian Americans the wealthiest race in this country? Why are African Americans more prosperous and safer in this country than any other country in the world? Why do non-white people want to live in this country more than any other country in the world?

I’m not saying that white privilege flat out doesn’t exist but to pretend it’s to blame for anything or that simple because you are white, you are privileged is ridiculous.

There are many people on the left who suggest all white people are racist and there was an entire movement called BLM that pushed this narrative. Forcing people at dinner tables to say “I’m not racist” or face their wrath.
You should research your exact points on Asian-Americans and African-Americans. Your lack of knowledge on this topic is astounding.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12485
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 pm

Re: Politics

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am If this country is so racist why are Asian Americans the wealthiest race in this country? Why are African Americans more prosperous and safer in this country than any other country in the world? Why do non-white people want to live in this country more than any other country in the world?
You seem to confuse whatever the success of Asian Americans and Black Americans may have in this country and an apparent lack of racism. Another way to look at it they succeeded in spite of the racism that is in this country. There are people who promote White Replacement Theory (which to me is just another way to say White Nationalism) on prime time television, in politics, and in other forums. Obama was President and quite a few of his opponents hated him not because of politics but because he was a "Black" President.
User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9661
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Politics

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:25 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am If this country is so racist why are Asian Americans the wealthiest race in this country? Why are African Americans more prosperous and safer in this country than any other country in the world? Why do non-white people want to live in this country more than any other country in the world?
You seem to confuse whatever the success of Asian Americans and Black Americans may have in this country and an apparent lack of racism. Another way to look at it they succeeded in spite of the racism that is in this country. There are people who promote White Replacement Theory (which to me is just another way to say White Nationalism) on prime time television, in politics, and in other forums. Obama was President and quite a few of his opponents hated him not because of politics but because he was a "Black" President.
True. It's like saying because Jewish people were prosperous in Germany prior to 1935, there was no anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitism was rife in Germany long before Hitler took power. He just tapped into that emotion.

Those that think American blacks are the lucky ones are forgetting that Africa may have progressed on an entirely different trajectory had it not been for European colonization and exploitation and slavery.
Post Reply