Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Politics

Post by phuqueue »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:14 pm I’m sure CNN covered this during prime time viewing right? Surely this article that very few read wasn’t the only correction? The damage was done but good on them for offering more details on how and why they were spoofed.
I don't watch cable news, so I have no idea whether or how CNN covered it on air. I think if you take a step back for a moment, you will realize how silly it is to expect television news to take a break from reporting current events to provide an irrelevant update on something from six years ago. And given how you have completely misrepresented how the "mainstream media" covered the dossier in print, I suspect that CNN's on-air coverage at the time when it was relevant was also probably a little bit more nuanced than you suggest, so probably some grand mea culpa was never necessary in the first place.
As for what the Clinton campaign did. From the very article you shared.
“While Steele was passing his tips onto the FBI in fall 2016, a Clinton campaign lawyer separately met with a senior FBI official and gave him information about strange cyberactivity between servers at the Trump Organization and Alfa Bank, the largest private bank in Russia.

The lawyer, Michael Sussmann, has since been charged with lying to the FBI during that meeting, for allegedly saying he wasn’t providing the dirt on behalf of any client, even though he ultimately billed that time to the Clinton campaign, and also billed them for other work he did on the server issue. Durham says Sussmann repeated this lie during a meeting with CIA officials in February 2017, where he told them about the server theory. Sussmann has pleaded not guilty.”

One of many examples.
You're having trouble keeping your eye on the ball here. We are talking about the Steele dossier. From the same article: "there’s no indication Sussmann knew about the dossier." I am not here to defend every little thing that the Clinton campaign or anybody connected to it did, but if you are going to whine that the campaign and the DNC went to "alarming" lengths to pass the dossier off "as truth," then I am curious what specific lengths those were. A lawyer from the campaign's law firm, apparently unaware of the dossier, independently passing on tips to the FBI doesn't really fit. If he lied to the FBI about his relationship with the Clinton campaign, does that look shady? Yes! But is it what we are talking about right now? No! And anyway, the allegation was that he lied about his client, not that he lied about the underlying information. If he believed in good faith (and maybe he didn't, but I would think Durham would have charged him for that if he could have) that a crime was being committed, do you think he should actually withhold that information from law enforcement? And for what reason, out of consideration for his client's political opponent?
And if your irony comments are specifically aimed at me. Acting “fast and loose” in a little forum as a private citizen isn’t comparable to how the media acted with the steel dossier. I’m not a journalist, lobbyist or anyone remotely important in the world of politics. I come here to get my kicks and annoy a few people while I’m at it. I’m not going to back up every opinion with references and sources. I owe no one that responsibility. I fully understand I’m talking to a bunch of people that will never agree with me publicly not because some of what I say isn’t right, but because you all have no humility and admitting your wrong about something literally isn’t in your capabilities. These conversations are fun for me. Except the ones with Link2, those are like talking to a 90 year old man with hard bearing.

The few people on here who do agree with me are smart enough to not get involved. I don’t blame them.
I am not comparing you to a media organization, I am alluding to the fraught relationship that the entire right-wing media ecosystem has with facts. To have a Republican on here who just a few pages ago was defending election deniers now complaining about the media spreading "bad information" is a little rich ("rich" as in a generic adjective, not Seth Rich, whom Fox News would have you believe was murdered by Hillary Clinton).
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:57 pm
grovester wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:07 pm "My friends and I on the left " hahahhahahhahaha!

"my point is more about the issues with putting out bad information or unverified information"

Did you not just spend 2 pages saying the HB laptop story should have propagated on social media 20 days before the election?
Yes, the FBI had verified the damn laptop and it’s contents by this point in the election. What are you not understanding here? The steel dossier was not verified and was blasted out into the world and dominated every single news cycle for weeks of not months. We’ve seen the evidence that Twitter and the FBI knew the laptop was real and actively suppressed the information which is certainly a form of election interference. I’ve said this before, I’m glad Trump didn’t win because I don’t think this country could have dealt with 4 more years of him as potus but this is about something more than that. You think the suppression of this story didn’t have an impact on the election?

picture hosting

For transparency the poll was conducted by a right leaning group but they have a A+ polling rating via FiveThirtyEight.
Good god. Is this being put out there again? So, 31% of Democrats would have voted for Trump if they knew the contents of Hunter's laptop were real? Get real. This poll is absurd. The question it asks is both ambiguous and leading as if there is some recognition or proof of wrongdoing in the information from Hunter's laptop that is now known to most Americans. I doubt if most Americans have even a clue what's on the laptop and could give a flip if the info is real (whatever real means). It's a manufactured story. It has been since its inception. That's why it's never had any traction in the media. Nobody cared then and nobody cares now.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cori Bush (D-Missouri) introduced legislation today to dedicate funding today for mass transit. $12 billion for LRT and $12 billion for BRT per year for the next 5 years
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've watched political life for decades. The contents of Hunter Biden's laptop wouldn't have made any difference. I have as many GOP friends and family as I do Democrats. Those GOP and independents who voted against Trump all did it because they were exhausted by him, his antics, and his controversy. It was mostly women who threw Trump out of office. They wanted someone calm and Biden fit that bill. Not one of them said anything about taxes, spending, the deficit, foreign policy, or social wedge issues. They just wanted calm again. Trump doesn't understand that he lost mostly because of his own personality and behavior.

Two years in and I've not heard one of them regret they voted him out.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:55 pm Cori Bush (D-Missouri) introduced legislation today to dedicate funding today for mass transit. $12 billion for LRT and $12 billion for BRT per year for the next 5 years
Nice! Love it. For new lines?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:34 pm
grovester wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:07 pm "My friends and I on the left " hahahhahahhahaha!

"my point is more about the issues with putting out bad information or unverified information"

Did you not just spend 2 pages saying the HB laptop story should have propagated on social media 20 days before the election?
Yes, the FBI had verified the damn laptop and it’s contents by this point in the election. What are you not understanding here? The steel dossier was not verified and was blasted out into the world and dominated every single news cycle for weeks of not months. We’ve seen the evidence that Twitter and the FBI knew the laptop was real and actively suppressed the information which is certainly a form of election interference. I’ve said this before, I’m glad Trump didn’t win because I don’t think this country could have dealt with 4 more years of him as potus but this is about something more than that. You think the suppression of this story didn’t have an impact on the election?

picture hosting

For transparency the poll was conducted by a right leaning group but they have a A+ polling rating via FiveThirtyEight.

Good god. Is this being put out there again? So, 31% of Democrats would have voted for Trump if they knew the contents of Hunter's laptop were real? Get real. This poll is absurd. The question it asks is both ambiguous and leading as if there is some recognition or proof of wrongdoing in the information from Hunter's laptop that is now known to most Americans. I doubt if most Americans have even a clue what's on the laptop and could give a flip if the info is real (whatever real means). It's a manufactured story. It has been since its inception. That's why it's never had any traction in the media. Nobody cared then and nobody cares now.
The point is that Democrats, like myself, who CARE about ethics and cronyisms, wouldn't have voted for Biden if we knew what all was going on. Especially with HB's laptop. We would have voted for someone else IN THE PARTY. You idiot. I'm not jumping ship to vote for Trump, but I would have easily supported someone less sketchy like Pete, Bernie, etc. It would have been nice to know about this during the Primary's, but it would have been nice to know at any point as it's never too late for a party to oust someone over something so significant. This makes Watergate look like nothing.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:45 am

picture hosting

The point is that Democrats, like myself, who CARE about ethics and cronyisms, wouldn't have voted for Biden if we knew what all was going on. Especially with HB's laptop. We would have voted for someone else IN THE PARTY. You idiot. I'm not jumping ship to vote for Trump, but I would have easily supported someone less sketchy like Pete, Bernie, etc. It would have been nice to know about this during the Primary's, but it would have been nice to know at any point as it's never too late for a party to oust someone over something so significant. This makes Watergate look like nothing.
The poll isn't talking about the primaries. That's implied by both the inclusion of groups other than just democrats and the way in which republicans are touting the "results" - as validation that Trump would have won the election.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:37 pm

The poll isn't talking about the primaries. That's implied by both the inclusion of groups other than just democrats and the way in which republicans are touting the "results" - as validation that Trump would have won the election.
The point is if this information would have been out when they had it, it could have impacted the primaries. I didn't share it because I think it's why Trump lost. I'm not sure why it's so hard for many on the left to admit this was scandalous. It's not about the contents of the laptop as much as it's about the handling and suppression of the information. Stark contrast to how information about Trump was handled. How can one be so concerned about election integrity and not admit this wasn't handled correctly. The media used to verify facts before unleashing information. The entire concept of putting out information with a tiny label saying it's "unverified" is why the majority of this country is more skeptical of the media than ever before.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

The wanna-be future president (lol) is out here embarrassing Missourians again

Hawley says he wasn’t at Zelenskyy’s speech because he ‘didn’t want to be part of a photo op’
https://www.politico.com/video/2022/12/ ... -op-804192
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:34 pm

The point is if this information would have been out when they had it, it could have impacted the primaries. I didn't share it because I think it's why Trump lost. I'm not sure why it's so hard for many on the left to admit this was scandalous. It's not about the contents of the laptop as much as it's about the handling and suppression of the information. Stark contrast to how information about Trump was handled. How can one be so concerned about election integrity and not admit this wasn't handled correctly. The media used to verify facts before unleashing information. The entire concept of putting out information with a tiny label saying it's "unverified" is why the majority of this country is more skeptical of the media than ever before.
Not sure where are you even coming from on this? Are you saying that the laptop indicates scandalous behavior by Joe Biden? It doesn't. Or the handling by the media was scandalous? The information on the laptop was real in the sense that it exists, but nothing from the laptop has revealed illegal or unethical behavior by Joe Biden as vice president with regard to his son's tenure as a director for Burisma. Why should that realization impact an election? Why should that have been a bigger story? It was always a case of Nothing to See Here. On the other hand, Trump's transgressions were out there for the world to see (or hear). He did actually bribe the Ukranian president to dig up dirt on his likely opponent in the upcoming election. There's absolutely no doubt about that. We all heard the phone call. He was impeached by one house and he should have left office and would have had it not been for the entire incident being unethically swept under the rug by members of his own party.

That is the difference in why they are treated differently - alleged wrongdoing by Joe Biden ultimately uncorroborated by anything on the laptop vs Trump's being recorded bribing a foreign official (and later being recorded making veiled threats against a Georgia election official).
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:00 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:34 pm

Not sure where are you even coming from on this? Are you saying that the laptop indicates scandalous behavior by Joe Biden? It doesn't. Or the handling by the media was scandalous? The information on the laptop was real in the sense that it exists, but nothing from the laptop has revealed illegal or unethical behavior by Joe Biden as vice president with regard to his son's tenure as a director for Burisma. Why should that realization impact an election? Why should that have been a bigger story? It was always a case of Nothing to See Here. On the other hand, Trump's transgressions were out there for the world to see (or hear). He did actually bribe the Ukranian president to dig up dirt on his likely opponent in the upcoming election. There's absolutely no doubt about that. We all heard the phone call. He was impeached by one house and he should have left office and would have had it not been for the entire incident being unethically swept under the rug by members of his own party.

That is the difference in why they are treated differently - alleged wrongdoing by Joe Biden ultimately uncorroborated by anything on the laptop vs Trump's being recorded bribing a foreign official (and later being recorded making veiled threats against a Georgia election official).
What does Trump and Ukraine have anything to do with the Steele dossier which is what I’m comparing to the HB Laptop? No need to litigate Trumps cronyism here. He was impeached, how do you get to that was swept under the rug? It was a weak topic to impeach him on and the full court press was on Trump 30 seconds after he declared his candidacy.

And how do we know the laptop doesn’t indicate Joe had some involvement when it’s not been fully investigated by the FBI or congress? We can all agree a Chinese energy company would not have sought out Hunter for his business knowledge. There’s literally only one thing they wanted and that was access to Joe. Factor in the confirmed emails stating “hold 10 for the big guy” which appears to reference Joe and I think you’ve got a solid case for a deeper investigation. Did Joe know Hunter was getting him a cut? I’m not sure and that’s the part that they’d have to prove. I’ll assume he is innocent until proven guilty.

My scandalous comments are geared towards the media, fbi and social media. I understand it’s about clicks, views and advertisements but how can we not have some journalistic standards? Media can flat out lie, make a bullshit apology during it’s least watched program and move on as if nothing happened. These stories that end up being wrongly reported on or buried have big impacts on serious things.

There used be a clear line between news and salacious rags. That line is so blurry now.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

Fountains wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:57 am
Link2 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:33 pm The wanna-be future president (lol) is out here embarrassing Missourians again

Hawley says he wasn’t at Zelenskyy’s speech because he ‘didn’t want to be part of a photo op’
How is that embarrassing? He's right. Zelensky came dressed like a slob demanding more money despite getting billions already. What was embarrassing was Harris/Pelosi hanging the Ukrainian flag
I feel sorry for you
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Fountains wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:06 pm
Link2 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:04 pm

How is that embarrassing? He's right. Zelensky came dressed like a slob demanding more money despite getting billions already. What was embarrassing was Harris/Pelosi hanging the Ukrainian flag
I feel sorry for you
https://twitter.com/DarnelSugarfoo/stat ... xv5Jg&s=19

You're the chump who supports sending billions to a corrupt foreign nation.
Don't be too mean to Link2 or else they will play the victim.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

I feel sorry for you

You still plan on doxxing me as you mentioned in that PM you just sent?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Notable Earmark Requests:

Harry S. Truman Library and Mu- seum, Kansas City, MO MO $11,500,000 Blunt
University of Missouri—Kansas City, MO, for fa- cilities and equipment. MO $13,000,000 Blunt
University of Missouri—Kansas City, MO, for health workforce initiative, including equip- ment. MO $2,500,000 Blunt
MRIGlobal, MO, for facilities and equipment. MO $2,000,000 Blunt
Children’s Mercy Hospital, MO, for telehealth ini- tiative and equipment. MO $1,900,000 Blunt

University of Kansas Cancer Center, KS, for can- cer research equipment. KS $10,000,000 Moran
University of Kansas Medical Center KS $5,000,000 Moran
Last edited by normalthings on Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:24 pm Notable Earmark Requests:

That’s great to see!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Link2 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:27 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:24 pm Notable Earmark Requests:

That’s great to see!
Did he get this? He didn't list this request on his press release

https://www.blunt.senate.gov/news/press ... nding-bill
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Josh Hawley requested a grand total of...zero funds for Missouri. Zero.

Deathly concerned for Missouri's future if newcomer Eric Schmitt is an "I don't believe in spending taxpayer dollars" guy like Hawley is.

Huge that Blunt took care of South Loop right before he left. Leaving that in Hawley's hands, it would've never happened.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Link2 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:33 pm The wanna-be future president (lol) is out here embarrassing Missourians again

No. What is embarrassing is when a senator doesn't show up to do his job. When a foreign leader, who is our ally, leaves his wartorn country to fly here to ask for military aid, it's a senator's job to show up in the Capitol and listen to the speech. It's the job of every single member of Congress.

It reminds me of when Hawley was Missouri's attorney general and he was filmed working at a gym in Columbia during official work hours of the AG's office. Not once, but several times.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/jo ... s-18052653

Zelensky was wearing the same outfit he's been seen wearing throughout the war as his country's government and military leader.

Another thing that is embarrassing is how our state's senator raises his fist in support of possible insurrectionists and seditionists and then runs like a chicken when they invade the capitol building.
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I feel sorry for you

It’s Costing Peanuts for the US to Defeat Russia

https://cepa.org/article/its-costing-pe ... at-russia/

Trump Organization found guilty on all accounts in tax fraud trial

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6316706472112

Full Phone Call: Trump Pressures Georgia Secretary of State To Recount Election Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW_Bdf_jGaA

Trump and his foundation were just forced to admit their fraud. Now the IRS needs to act.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/t ... cna1081906

How many things has Zelensky been convicted of that constitute corruption?

If I recall, Trump attempted to coerce Zelensky to investigate Biden to get military aid that Congress had already approved, and he was impeached in the House for it. If Zelensky had been corrupt, he would have manufactured some evidence for Trump to get the much-needed aid.

Again, in that case, Trump was the corrupt party.
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.