Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Politics

Post by FlippantCitizen »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:25 am I know men aren't supposed to have a say in women's bodies but I'm glad so many men in Kansas went to the polls yesterday and voted NO. ;)

Hot take: Women talk a big game on women's rights and supporting women, but they don't actually show up and support each other!
That's a nonsensical take. Do you think women turned out in lower numbers than men to vote yesterday? I can introduce you to some women in my family who spent months organizing in suburban to rural Sedgwick county to make sure this lost. Can't wrap my head around this comment.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:45 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:25 am I know men aren't supposed to have a say in women's bodies but I'm glad so many men in Kansas went to the polls yesterday and voted NO. ;)

Hot take: Women talk a big game on women's rights and supporting women, but they don't actually show up and support each other!
That's a nonsensical take. Do you think women turned out in lower numbers than men to vote yesterday? I can introduce you to some women in my family who spent months organizing in suburban to rural Sedgwick county to make sure this lost. Can't wrap my head around this comment.
Well, it was a mostly comical comment but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for someone to take it seriously. That is absolutely wonderful (sincerely) that the women in your family organized and put in the work. They're not representative of the majority of women.

Women loudly proclaim men shouldn't be making decisions that impact their bodies which makes sense besides the fact that they need men to support things like......... voting.

And women don't support each other or women's issues. Hard to deny this when you look at something like women's sports and the fact they're subsidized by mens sports. Women would rather sit at home and watch trash reality tv where women rip apart other women than go to a WNBA, NWSL or another female sport event. Same thing with music. "We need more women in country music" yet most women artists don't sell tickets like the male artists.

EDIT: I cherish women. I'm raised by women and have only daughters. Many of these takes come from conversations with them.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:31 am Over a 1/3 of Trump's coalition is pro-choice. More are probably are not particularly activated by it as an issue. This ballot measure is not indicative of any broader swing in party preference.
I think a lot depends on how the gop reacts to this rebuke.

If they keep pushing it as an election issue that they will legislate on, I think people will show up to vote them down.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:54 am Women loudly proclaim men shouldn't be making decisions that impact their bodies which makes sense besides the fact that they need men to support things like......... voting.

And women don't support each other or women's issues. Hard to deny this when you look at something like women's sports and the fact they're subsidized by mens sports. Women would rather sit at home and watch trash reality tv where women rip apart other women than go to a WNBA, NWSL or another female sport event. Same thing with music. "We need more women in country music" yet most women artists don't sell tickets like the male artists.

EDIT: I cherish women. I'm raised by women and have only daughters. Many of these takes come from conversations with them.
Yeah obviously this ballot measure needed some men to vote against it to be defeated. Obviously some women hold the pro-life point of view. Your point about sports is completely irrelevant.

Would love to see the cross tabs of female vs male turnout as well as how each group voted. Your comment about women not supporting women is just non-sensical. I've never seen the Kansan women I know so politically activated over anything in my life. Just some typical pot stirring in the politics thread.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:06 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:54 am Women loudly proclaim men shouldn't be making decisions that impact their bodies which makes sense besides the fact that they need men to support things like......... voting.

Yeah obviously this ballot measure needed some men to vote against it to be defeated. Obviously some women hold the pro-life point of view. Your point about sports is completely irrelevant.

Would love to see the cross tabs of female vs male turnout as well as how each group voted. Your comment about women not supporting women is just non-sensical. I've never seen the Kansan women I know so politically activated over anything in my life. Just some typical pot stirring in the politics thread.

Yeah, we only have decades of data on this showing women don't show up for women unless it's something like this vote. It's not just women's sports, that was just low hanging fruit.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

DCole, generally I don't see you as a troll. You have some views that I would characterize as reprehensible and others that are simply incoherent, but I think they are at least genuinely held and you are earnest when you are sharing/defending them. But it's hard to see what you're doing right now as anything other than trolling, and not even particularly inspired trolling at that. If you are going to troll, please be better at it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:33 pm DCole, generally I don't see you as a troll. You have some views that I would characterize as reprehensible and others that are simply incoherent, but I think they are at least genuinely held and you are earnest when you are sharing/defending them. But it's hard to see what you're doing right now as anything other than trolling, and not even particularly inspired trolling at that. If you are going to troll, please be better at it.
Yeah, not everyone has the time you do to lay out these massive long responses. I applaud you for being organized and laying out coherent responses but that’s not me. As you’ve clearly pointed out.

I don’t think saying the quiet part out loud is trolling. My initial incoherent point was about this gender divide where some vocal groups of women tell men to stay out of their business. They loudly proclaim men shouldn’t be making decisions about their bodies while not realizing they need the support of men. Had several thousand men not went and voted no yesterday, this wouldn’t have failed. You won’t be seeing any feminists thanking the men who did show up and support them either.

I’m not trolling but I knew I was making a controversial comment on here that would ruffle some feathers. It’s on topic and sincere.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:54 am

Well, it was a mostly comical comment but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for someone to take it seriously. That is absolutely wonderful (sincerely) that the women in your family organized and put in the work. They're not representative of the majority of women.

Women loudly proclaim men shouldn't be making decisions that impact their bodies which makes sense besides the fact that they need men to support things like......... voting.

Dude you ripped this from Live at Red Rocks Bill Burr Comedy Special on Netflix didn't you? I just saw this last week and he basically said the same exact things word for word
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:01 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:54 am

Dude you ripped this from Live at Red Rocks Bill Burr Comedy Special on Netflix didn't you? I just saw this last week and he basically said the same exact things word for word
100% -- Not word for word though, but same line of thinking. He has a point and it's funny because it's true.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

My advice: you should have leaned into the trolling angle, cuz as a sincere take, this is embarrassingly inane. Enjoy shadowboxing with a crude caricature of second wave feminism, I guess. Wake me up when your cultural commentary has reached the 1980s.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

With the current trends Kansas will be solidly purple by 2030. And the 2026 Senate race will be highly contested *if* the GOP wins the Presidency in 2024.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:01 pm My advice: you should have leaned into the trolling angle, cuz as a sincere take, this is embarrassingly inane. Enjoy shadowboxing with a crude caricature of second wave feminism, I guess. Wake me up when your cultural commentary has reached the 1980s.
Wake me up when there's something worth being awake for regarding feminism.

I literally thought of you as I was writing my first comment knowing you'd be dealing with tired fingers the next few days from your novel like response. Impressed you're taking a new tack and not engaging. If someone has any examples of how what I said (or repeated) is wrong, I'm down to listen with open ears.

I didn't pen the thousands of articles that discuss things like, "Queen Bee Syndrome". I didn't invent the narrative that women don't support women. WOMEN DID!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:31 am Over a 1/3 of Trump's coalition is pro-choice. More are probably are not particularly activated by it as an issue. This ballot measure is not indicative of any broader swing in party preference.
Look at the past presidential votes though on that graphic. There has been movement in Johnson County.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1554843055525691392

Looks like a lot of new women voters had a lot to do with it.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

FangKC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:59 pm Look at the past presidential votes though on that graphic. There has been movement in Johnson County.
Oh for sure JoCo has trended blue. But in a 2024 presidential I would expect a Democratic margin somewhat similar +/- 3 points to 2020 or even worse if Republicans put up someone other than Trump. Simply, this vote does not even come close to painting an accurate picture of party preference when voting for a candidate on the ballot as opposed to a narrow question.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:06 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:59 pm Look at the past presidential votes though on that graphic. There has been movement in Johnson County.
Oh for sure JoCo has trended blue. But in a 2024 presidential I would expect a Democratic margin somewhat similar +/- 3 points to 2020 or even worse if Republicans put up someone other than Trump. Simply, this vote does not even come close to painting an accurate picture of party preference when voting for a candidate on the ballot as opposed to a narrow question.
Agree.

Polls even show that half of those who identify as Republican are pro-choice. This is a unique situation but the abortion topic in general won’t be as big of a motivator as some are making it out to be. Imho.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Josh Hawley once again being a national embarassment with the only "no" vote to admit Sweden and Finland into NATO.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:12 pm Josh Hawley once again being a national embarassment with the only "no" vote to admit Sweden and Finland into NATO.
Any justifiable reasons at all? Or does he just insist on going against the grain with everything
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:25 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:12 pm Josh Hawley once again being a national embarassment with the only "no" vote to admit Sweden and Finland into NATO.
Any justifiable reasons at all? Or does he just insist on going against the grain with everything
His reasoning was because it would be just two more countries the US would have to take care of now & potentially go to another war for, and that we should be using resources to counter China instead of taking care of Finland
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:25 pm
Because it was an easy way to get his name in the news and he wants to be president (spoiler, ain't gonna happen).
He said he does not believe the U.S. should expand its security commitments in Europe, because America’s “greatest foreign adversary” is China.
Which is, with as maximum emphasis as possible through this medium, a fucking stupid thing to say.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/358 ... embership/