Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Politics

Post by Highlander »

Link2 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:41 pm The most recent polling I could find has Biden (+5) and Harris (+3) leading DeSantis in hypothetical matchups.

I would not read too much into a recall effort in a state such as California. Launching a recall there is easier than in almost any state, and every governor since 1960 has faced at least one. To place it on the ballot this past time, the supporters needed just under 1.5 million signatures -- in a state with over 30 million residents of voting age. I think they got approximately 1.7 million maybe.
Plus Newsom easily defeated the recall 62-38. I'm sure the GOP would make a big deal out of that if he runs but it was really a non event.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The recall ended up helping Newsom in the end. It showed how much electoral strength he had and emboldened him. After that moment, he started looking at the Presidency very seriously. It was quite the backfiring fuck up by the GOP. It’s possible him or someone like him challenges Biden anyway. Biden is pulling horrendously for an incumbent President within his own party’s nomination.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Desantis is getting investigated by another red state, I don't think that Dead Zone cosplaying joker has an actual chance with even the supposed flip floppy centrist voters. He's infamous for saying really inflammatory stuff that will straight up scare them into not even voting for him in the primary.

GOP just need to look at Trump as a one of a kind guy for them, got them what they wanted, and now it's over.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:45 pm Desantis is getting investigated by another red state, I don't think that Dead Zone cosplaying joker has an actual chance with even the supposed flip floppy centrist voters. He's infamous for saying really inflammatory stuff that will straight up scare them into not even voting for him in the primary.

GOP just need to look at Trump as a one of a kind guy for them, got them what they wanted, and now it's over.
DeSantis has many similarities to Trump that some in the GOP like. Even those who don't want Trump to run again likely supported his policies and willingness to tell it how it is sometimes. Also called a lack of decorum! I'll say it was refreshing for awhile that a sitting POTUS was so willing to to speak to the media and american people. Now we have the exact opposite with a POTUS who talks to the media the least in recent history, by a long shot.

Trump is still the kingmaker and how this all plays out for the GOP is going to provide content for political books far into the future.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why the new Truman statue in D.C. is a big Harry deal
One of Ten: There have been forty-six presidents of the nation, but just ten of those men are represented by a statue in the Capitol Rotunda. President Harry Truman’s statue was installed in late September, with George Washington on one side and Ulysses S. Grant on the other.
https://kansascitymag.com/news/why-the- ... arry-deal/
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Glad to see the shift back to normalcy regarding this PC culture and wokeism in various ways lately. Governor races in solid blue states are close and in risk of being flipped red. Late night talk shows ratings are in the trash as people tire of the constant Trump jokes and PC hosts. People standing up to push back on this gender identity stuff that has gotten out of hand.

Definitely a shift happening and even “liberals” seem to be fed up with things.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Without global inflation, the Dems would likely be expanding their majorities despite all the "woke-ism".
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Are we really worried about ‘wokeism’ when the former republican president sold state secrets and is a traitor?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Would someone define "woke" or "wokeism"?
I know at one time "snowflakes" was used to define Democrats but now it seems the word fits Republicans and seems to have fallen from usage.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

It is just a buzz word that refers to whatever Tucker Carlson is mad about today
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:18 amPeople standing up to push back on this gender identity stuff that has gotten out of hand.
Gonna need you to expand on this one.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:25 pm It is just a buzz word that refers to whatever Tucker Carlson is mad about today
I knew that one word would be the thing focused on by a few of you instead of actually responding with any context about my comment as a whole.

Your reaction is essentially one of the modern definitions of “woke” - “the act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue”. The less it has to do with you the better.

If you weren’t always just looking to be pretentious you’d likely know that the modern version of work was brought back into peoples vocabulary before Trump was president and was made popular by anti-racism, me too movements etc when they started saying “stay woke”. It was hijacked by a segment of the country that acts overly aggressive about every little social issue, the more obscure the better. Being cool with men dressing as women and loving other men isn’t enough!!! You must call them whatever they identify as and acknowledge they can be a mother or else you’re a human hating transphobic scum bucket!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:33 am Are we really worried about ‘wokeism’ when the former republican president sold state secrets and is a traitor?
Please post one solid ounce of proof. MSNBC thanks you for your 24/7 viewership.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:42 am Without global inflation, the Dems would likely be expanding their majorities despite all the "woke-ism".
Dangerous game to play. Despite all the “trump is the devil”, he would likely still be president if Covid didn’t happen.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

horizons82 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:32 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:18 amPeople standing up to push back on this gender identity stuff that has gotten out of hand.
Gonna need you to expand on this one.
Specifically the medical irreversible intervention to teenagers who think they want to change their gender. Not only are hospitals stopping or pushing programs that do this to reevaluate but major health institutes in other often more progressive countries have admitted they were rushing children into life altering treatment. The British national health service is the prime example. Social transitioning is one thing, allowing people under 18 to do life altering changes to their bodies is nuts.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:23 pm Specifically the medical irreversible intervention to teenagers who think they want to change their gender. Not only are hospitals stopping or pushing programs that do this to reevaluate but major health institutes in other often more progressive countries have admitted they were rushing children into life altering treatment. The British national health service is the prime example. Social transitioning is one thing, allowing people under 18 to do life altering changes to their bodies is nuts.
Youth transitioning is something that requires a more nuanced discussion than it's typically given, on either side. I strongly doubt it's a motivator for swing voters against democrats, regardless of how Fox News may try to sell it.

The "woke" criticism probably carries weight with a notable portion of voters. I still don't believe that was the tipping point for any voter.

Inflation is in the driver's seat this election. Rightly or wrongly the president gets blamed for the economy. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Being more mad about the woke boogeyman--definitely annoying, but come on, how much of this is purely online performative bullshit (and of that, how much is just right wing trolling?)--than a literal conspiracy to subvert democracy, which almost succeeded and is by all indications going to be tried again by people who have learned lessons about how to do it better next time? That is the scariest thing of all.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:10 pm
grovester wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:42 am Without global inflation, the Dems would likely be expanding their majorities despite all the "woke-ism".
Dangerous game to play. Despite all the “trump is the devil”, he would likely still be president if Covid didn’t happen.
My point being that the woke-ism you mention is not the reason races are close.

It is the completely unrelated global inflation.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Without the inflation & economic woes that began in 2020, Trump would’ve won a second term
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

No, sorry, inflation is Biden's fault. That's what the sticker on the gas pump said, and that's good enough for me.

(Umm, that's a joke since apparently we can't tell the difference anymore)